Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gender vs. Sex

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jangab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:13 am
I would like to clarify the words "sex" and "gender". Sex is the biological thing... It is either you are born with a p***s or a v****a... Gender, on the other hand, is the the role you would want to play in the society...
So if people ask you "what is your gender?" that statement is incorrect...
You should say "what is your sex?"...
P.S.
Use male or female when dealing with sex and masculine and feminine when dealing with gender...
-JanGab  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:53 am
Well, considering how sex is often a taboo topic, it's really not surprising that people use "gender" as a euphemism. Look, you even typed "p***s" and "v****a" with the asterisks yourself.

Appropriately enough (since this is a grammar guild), the word "gender" originally referred to grammatical gender, which corresponds to sex in many but not all languages.

For example, Latin and German have neuter in addition to masculine and feminine, and I've read somewhere that there's a language that classifies nouns according to whether they refer to something edible or not, although that might actually be a different type of noun classes that may or may not be considered "gender" depending on who you ask.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Tonberry Teh Haxxor

Dapper Dabbler

5,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:27 am
I use gender, not sex, because people seem to cringe whenever someone says the word "sex".
Sex is not just a word used to define whether you are male or female, it is also used to say sexual intercourse, and that is very taboo.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:08 am
Generally, the distinction is rather unimportant; people's gender identity almost always matches their biological sex. But the distinction is helpful when discussions of transgender issues arise.  

Amphion

Titan_of_Fire59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:57 am
According to my Gender in Global Perspective course (sociology of gender class):

Gender = a role that is taught through socialization.
Sex = labels of people based on biological traits; a distinction at birth.

I believe this to be true, though I could be wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm
I don't think it matters. People tend to freak out about it because of how people use the word sex these days, but you will find it on all kinds of official forms and such instead of gender. We as a society have blurred the lines to the point where it almost doesn't ever matter. Just try not to be crude is my vote.  

Anye5

joannemily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:05 am
While I agree that gender is your role in society and sex is your biological distinction, I too use gender instead of sex because it makes people uncomfortable. Most people don't care which is correct from a grammatical viewpoint, only which one doesn't attract too much attention.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:15 pm
Titan_of_Fire59
According to my Gender in Global Perspective course (sociology of gender class):

It's not clear that gender is entirely a social construct. While there are many baseless stereotypes about both genders, some are actually true. There are very good studies that show that very young children (less than one year of age) display gender-typical traits before they understand the concept of gender.  

Amphion

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:32 pm
If you're asking a person their gender/sex, what does it really matter what their sex is? I know people whose gender and sex are different, and they usually prefer to be treated by their gender rather than their sex.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:11 pm
Amphion
Titan_of_Fire59

It's not clear that gender is entirely a social construct. While there are many baseless stereotypes about both genders, some are actually true. There are very good studies that show that very young children (less than one year of age) display gender-typical traits before they understand the concept of gender.

Interesting...could you please PM me any links you may have to that? I am most curious about this subject now.  

Titan_of_Fire59

Yutaka Miko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:41 am
Oh I never knew it is defined like that!
I used to say "What is your gender?" instead of "What is your sex?" I know that sentence is correct, but the word "sex" is just not a good word to be used in my opinion. Like what Tonberry said earlier, people seem to give some 'reactions' whenever someone says "sex" even though they are not using it in terms of intercourse.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games