Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Help me out?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:58 pm
I've been searching for a while for something to make myself an incense burner from, and recently, while on vacation, I found the perfect thing.

A delightful, lake-worn piece of driftwood. Beautiful color, size, and a shape nothing but Nature could come up with.

Trouble is, I don't know how to work it. I know I can just drill a small hole for the stick to stand in, but the little trough to catch the ash...*shrugs* As-is, it'd just fall off the side of the wood. But I don't really want to carve into the wood, because I think it'd ruin the beautiful shape and smoothness that Nature gave it.

A friend suggested sanding it out, but I'm not sure that'd work. Any suggestions how to go about doing this?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:36 pm
I'd suggest using a chisel to cut a shallow trough into it, but you said you don't want to carve into it. I guess you could make a Sculpy trough and glue or screw it on the wood?  

Catcheen
Crew

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Do you have a picture of the piece of wood you can post? That can help us see what could be done to help  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:25 pm
I would get some long shell's from the beach, and glue them onto the wood so it catches the ash. 3nodding
just an idea.  

Lee Kushrenada

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:54 pm
Lee Kushrenada
I would get some long shell's from the beach, and glue them onto the wood so it catches the ash. 3nodding
just an idea.

The beach is three hours away.

And no, I don't have a picture. It's perfectly straight and about 11" long, an inch or so wide, and vaguely triangular from the cross-section. But it sits flat on two of its sides.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:55 pm
I was going to suggest the scupley, but if you don't wanna buy or play with it, the shells would be absolutely beautiful!! Instead of going to the beach, check a dollar store (if there are any around you) ~ I got a huge bag of shells for 1$ at the Dollar Tree a few weeks ago smile  

Ska Hippie

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:56 am
Mangolyn
Lee Kushrenada
just an idea.

The beach is three hours away.

And no, I don't have a picture. It's perfectly straight and about 11" long, an inch or so wide, and vaguely triangular from the cross-section. But it sits flat on two of its sides.

sometimes the craft stores have some sea shells...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:50 pm
::love's it whem people think his idea's are good heart ::  

Lee Kushrenada

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:31 pm
You'll lose that lovely grey colour if you start to sand it or cut it. Normally only the outer layer has that colour and there's normal wood underneath. It all depends on how weather worn it is, but I think gluing something on to catch the ashes might be a good suggestion.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:17 pm
I'd go talk to a friend that is a carpenter or a contractor (or both!) See what they have to say. I suggest though, is to buy the cone insence and burn it instead of sticks.  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Mangolyn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:48 pm
Thanks everyone for your help.

*continues to ponder*  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:56 pm
Sonicrunner mentioned a great idea... if you can find a little shell or glass dish you could superglue it on and burn cone incense. I love the cone incense, it's much less mess.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces