Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
My First Sewing Machine.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you know the brand Janome?
  No, never even heard of that word!
  I think I MAY have heard the name somewhere...
  Yes, I am QUITE familiar with them. I love their products!
  Yes, I know them, but I don't really care for them very much.
  I prefer another brand which I intend to leave as a suggestion.
View Results

Shayla-Cupcake Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:00 pm
I'm thinking of purchasing this machine as my very first and I want to know if anyone else thinks that this is a good idea. It's Small, cute, affordable and it goes with my whole "everything in the house that CAN be Hello Kitty MUST be hello kitty" rule. I don't like that it's green, but I figure it'll make a good starter machine and it is from a reputable manufacturer if my understanding is correct.

I also intend to, at some point, buy this as a secondary machine for my doll clothes.

So, what do you think? Is it worth the price or should I just save more for a better one? Any suggestions on equally affordable but higher quality machines? I'm open to pretty much anything right now.

I'd also like a suggestion on embroidery machines, should anyone have one.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:55 pm
My mom has a new home sewing machine which became Janome and it works will granted it is over 20 years old. But i have also read reviews for that model and they have all been good. Target sells them.  

KingToon

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:34 am
I haven't heard anything about the reliability of Janome machines. My dream sewing machine is a Huskystar made by Huskevarna, the same company that makes chain saws. I went to a sewing and vacuum store and asked lots of questions about the machines. This particular Huskystar is inexpensive (sort of) and is powerful enough to sew through a few layers of denim.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:57 am
It looks alot like my sister's janome mini, which is an awesome little machine, does super basic stuff. Not a bad first machine. I didn't know it came hello kitty.... whee  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:28 am
As long as you're doing lightweight sewing (light cottons or cotton poly mixes) for things like shirts, sundresses, doll clothes and crafts it looks like a fine machine.

It is a light duty machine, so if you plan on doing costumes or quilting or anything that goes though more than 4 layers of light fabric or more than 2 of medium (or anything heavy) I would suggest looking into bigger, heavier machines. But as a starter it looks fine.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games