Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Archives
The Promised Land Times - Issue One

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What was your favorite part?
  Rina's News!
  A New Life (infinity_trust's fanfic)
  Creating the Perfect Pokemon Part 1 by nitnit
  Pokemon Diamond Chronicles by KilledbyKarma
  Who's that Pokemon? by [Akari-Chan]
  Ravemaster's Trainer Tips
  I dunno/Poll Option
View Results

nitnit2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:01 am
User Image

((Originally by Knight95, it said "frist issue" stare So nitnit fixed it for him))

This Week's Contents:

- ~Rina's News~ - a guild news update by Rina (AKA ~Camoflauged_Angel~)

- A New Life - a fanfic by ~infinity_trust~

- Creating the Perfect Pokemon Part 1 - A battling article by nitnit

- Pokemon Diamond Chronicles - A fanfic by KilledbyKarma

- Who's that Pokemon? - a game by [akari-chan]

- ravemaster's tips on beating trainers - a battling article by ravemaster47

- Coming Attractions by nitnit

- Editor in Chief's Closing note by nitnit

This week's staff

Nitnit - Editor in Chief, Battle Guru

~Camoflauged_Angel~ - Journalist

Knight95 - Artist

~Infinity Trust~ - Contributor

[Akari-Chan] - Contributor  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:12 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Good Morning Gaians, I'm Rina here to bring you the inside scoop on whats going on in our Guild. Don't have much time to read the many threads? Then just come take a gander at the guild news.

General News

User Image

I apologize for the lack in input in this issue, I'm dead tired at the moment.

Welcome to the new guild news! First off if you haven't done so yet, go introduce yourself here.

Nitnit is currently looking for small banners for your guild if you have asny just post 'em right here

There's a huge battle going on right now, between Razz and Knight for the chance to get their banner thread sticked! Haven't voted yet? Do so right here.

Many people have been calling Nitnit out, whether it be for a bake-off, to an actual battle. Kunx, (who we presume was drunk at the time) Challenged himself, and actually trash talked himself.

Art News

User Image

In art news many people have opened up their shops yet again. The art contest is up and running, this week its splices! Think you got what it takes? head over to the Art contest and find out!

The fanfic contest has too opened its doors. Simply leave a link to your fanfic and see if you win.

nitnit2

nitnit2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:16 am
This story by ~Infinity Trust~

This is the story of how a human girl’s life suddenly turns into a… poke-life, the poke-life of a Cherrim.

Characters

Sakura(Cherrim)- Basically, she has no idea what’s going on at all, life is tough now that she has to try and fit in all over again.

Kitai(Absol)- A very arrogant Pokemon he is. He seems very knowlegable and seems to understand Sakura's situation but is not willing to tell her, probably because of the state she currently is in.

Chapter 1- I’m a--- Pokemon?

Sakura opened her eyes slowly but quickly closed them again; she was blinded by the light. She slowly opened them again and realized she was in the middle of a forest clearing. How in the world did I end up here…? She looked around, wow, these are some pretty big trees… She noticed a small puddle close by. She walked over to it, taking note of how stubby her legs felt. She peered into the puddle but then jumped back, startled. I’m- I’m a Cherrim!!! Sakura began to run in circles insanely, having no idea what was going on. She stopped; an Absol was staring at her.
“What are you looking at?” She said, offended. The Absol blinked and didn’t say anything, he just quickly ran off disappearing in the dense forest. Sakura sighed, confused. She turned around then gasped, it was the Absol again. “What do you want, already!?” The Absol narrowed his eyes.
“You’re not an average Pokemon, are you?” Sakura shook her head, still not understanding. “You don’t get it, do you? I came here because I sensed danger, but some how I only find you… who are you?” Sakura mumbled her name, this Pokemon was scaring her. The Absol spat, “bah, I come all this way and find just a pathetic tamer, what a waste of my time!” The Absol turned to run off once more.
“Wait! What’s a… tamer?” Sakura’s head as down, the Absol had crushed her spirits even more then they were already. “And… um, what’s your name?”
“How expected. A tamer is what you are… or what you once were.” He paused, like debating whether or not to give her his name. “My name is Kitai.” Without saying anymore the Absol shot off like a rocket, leaving her all alone. Sakura finally understood what he meant, but she still didn’t know why she had turned into a Cherrim.

Sakura was walking around randomly, her head was down and her eyes were elsewhere. She was very confused, why had she turned into a Pokemon? And that Absol, Kitai, was of no help of all, he seemed like he understood her situation but didn’t think she was worthy of lending over some information. Sakura sighed and sat down. Her head perked up, she thought she heard someone calling her name. Sakura began to bounce where it had come from. She was closer now and could here some one was calling her. From the bushes she peeked to see who it was, it was some one from, her town, they must be on a search party for her. Sakura grinned widely and bounced over to the person.
“Hey! It’s me, Sakura!” The person noticed her and kneeled down. Sakura tilted her head to the side, confused.
“Excuse me, Cherrim, but have you seen a girl wondering around? She’s about so high,” he got up and put his hand in the air motioning how tall she was, “and she has brown hair and eyes. Her name is Sakura.” Sakura was frozen, he had not understood her! She mentally slapped her forehead, of course he couldn’t! Sakura was about to write that it was her in the dirt with her foot, but some how she couldn’t, like she had forgotten how to write. “Well, I guess you can’t understand me…” the person turned to leave and began walking away.
“Wait!” Sakura bounced after him but she couldn’t keep up and eventually lost track of him. She sighed and sat down; it had been a miserable day for her. She thought she was about to cry but tried not to, she had no reason to, yet.
“Having trouble?” Sakura turned to see who it was, her eyes widened, Kitai! Sakura got up and tried to brush off some of the dirt, a little difficult since she had no hands.
“What do you want?” Her face was a tad puffed, but she wasn’t pouting. Kitai smirked and motioned for her to follow with his head. Without waiting for an answer he began to walk towards his destination.
“Hey! Wait up!” She was in a tad shock and began to bounce after him, moving around was much more difficult now.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:56 am
Creating the Perfect Pokemon – Part 1 – Choosing your pokemon

I have begun making a series to help people make good pokemon for competitive battling. This is part 1 of the series:

Part One ((this one)) – Choosing your pokemon

Part Two – Preparing your moveset

Part Three – Creating that pokemon –Nature Breeding, what are IVs, and how to get good ones

Part Four – EV training

Part Five – Making your team fit together.

Part Six – The finishing touches, choosing your items, and general strategies for competitive battling.

Now, as you may know, every pokemon has base stats. Each pokemon has a certain maximum and minimum for each stat that it can achieve. For example, Mew, has a 100 in every stat ((HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, Speed)). This gives it a sum base stats of 600, which is very high. 100 generally means good, so Mew is good in everything.

Most pokemon will have 1, 2, or even 3 stats that are higher than the rest. According to what these stats are, and what moves the pokemon can learn determine what roles it can fulfill on your team.

For example, Jolteon has a very high Special Attack, and extremely high Speed. However, all of its other stats are relatively low. This makes Jolteon a Special Sweeper stat wise. However, in it’s movepool, Jolteon can learn Wish, which can allow it to be a supporter. How you should use it depends on what’s on your team, and what it needs.

Here are some example roles:

Special Sweeper – Like said above, a special sweeper is a pokemon that utilizes its high speed and sp. Attack to try to kill the enemy in one hit using its special moves.

Common Examples of the Special Sweeper: Gengar, Alakazam, Starmie, Jolteon, Espeon, Porygon Z.

Physical Sweeper – Very similar to the special sweeper, the physical sweeper uses physical attacks, and often have high attack and speed.

Common Examples of the Physical Sweeper: Garchomp/Salamence/Dragonite, Infernape, Arcanine, Weavile

Special Sponge - This pokemon is designed to switch into, and generally take special attacks. Blessed with high special defense, and often times HP, the special sponge can be very helpful, and often times multi purposes. Typically the special sponge will have a dependable recovery move, like Softboiled, Recover, Milk Drink, or things of that nature.

The most common special sponge of all time is Blissey. She is often times also a cleric if you breed her with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell.

Other common special sponges include Milotic and Snorlax

Physical Wall – Pretty much the special sponge, but for physical attacks. Often times these pokemon will also deal out a lot of damage as well.

A common example of a physical wall is Rhyperior. He has a godly attack and defense, so he can take and deal lots of damage.

Other common walls are Skarmory, and Probopass

Baton Passers – These pokemon utilize their high speed, combined with a stat raising move they have, and the move baton pass to pass on the stats to another pokemon. The three most common types of baton passers are Speed passers, swords dance passers, and nasty plot passers.

The most commonly used baton passer is Ninjask. His godly speed, combined with his ability that automatically raises his speed each turn allows him to use a combination of protect and substitute to gain a lot of speed, then he baton passes it to a slower, stronger pokemon, or an already fast pokemon which now cannot be outrun.

Other, lesser used, examples of roles are:

Annoyers – Pokemon who’s main job is to inflict status effects upon the opponent ((Umbreon and Shuckle are examples))

Bulky ((input element here)) – These pokemon are slower, and maybe stronger than their sweeper counterparts, but they typically have greater health and defenses. Commonly used to catch the enemy off guard, and stop specific sweepers. ((Swampert, Ampharos, and Togekiss are examples))

Clerics – pokemon that use Aromatherepy, Heal Bell, or moves of that nature to restore the party’s status effects ((Blissey and Miltank are examples))

Hazers – pokemon who use the move haze to eliminate all stat changes ((Crobat, Drifblim, and Xatu are examples))

Rock/Spikes/Poison Spike layers – pokemon who’s main job is to lay down one of, or a combination of the moves Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Poison Spikes to deal extra damage to the rest of the enemy’s team. ((Skarmory and Forrestress are examples))

Rapid Spin – Pokemon who use the move Rapid Spin to clear the area of rocks/spikes/etc. ((starmie and blastoise are examples))

Sleep Talkers – Pokemon who utilize rest and the move sleep talk to restore HP and still attack ((snorlax is an example))

Weathermen - A role I just invented ((maybe done before, I dunno)), these pokemon are used to make a favorable weather affect, either through a move, or by their ability. ((Tyranitar, Hippodown, and Abomasnow are examples))

Damage Returners – Another role I just invented ((again, maybe done before I dunno)) these pokemon use moves like mirror coat, counter, and metal burst to deal even more damage back to the enemy ((Wobbufette is an infamous example))

So, when designing your team, keep a few things in mind.

- Sweepers = damaging power, but, many of them can be stopped by a wall

- If your enemy uses lots of status effects, a cleric can be very helpful

- The ability to change the weather can set up a great combo, or ruin an enemies

- Some people will play with clauses in affect, for example, if Sleep clause is in affect, you cannot put 2 enemeis to sleep at the same time

Hope this helped out. I ended up making it a lot more extensive than I thought, so I won’t be putting in part 2 as well this week. Hopefully I’ll put in 2 or 3 parts for next week so this series doesn’t take too long.

- nitnit  

nitnit2

nitnit2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:58 am
The following written by KilledbyKarma

Pokemon: Diamond Chronicles

Author's note: This will follow the game Pokemon Diamond's storyline. It may deviate slightly because I want to develop the characters more. But that's ok. Cause I'm doing this for fun.

And I do not own pokemon. Just all the gameboy games. XD

O------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------O

Chapter 1: Twinleaf Turmoil

Eric Reed was laying in bed pleasantly sleeping in on a dull Saturday morning. He was thuroughly enjoying this relaxation. Just yesterday his best friend, Tyson Forier, had gotten them swarmed by a bunch of mad Combee. Not his idea of the perfect Friday...

THUMP THUMP THUMP! Someone was banging on the door. Damn it Tyson... Eric groaned. He didn't need this. Not today. He still had the bruises from YESTERDAY. He smiled as the banging stopped. Thank you mom... His mother must have opened the door. He was about to drift back off into his blissful thoughts when...

“WHAT?! HE'S STILL ASLEEP?!” Came Tyson's loud voice. Eric groaned. Crap...he isn't going away. Eric sighed and got out of bed. No doubt he has ANOTHER crazy scheme. He got his travel clothes on and grabbed his beret and placed it on his head. He knew that they could take a beating. Like yesterday...and last week. And last month...and the last 13 years... In Sinnoh unlike Kanto you didn't get your pokemon handed out to you unless you actually lived in the same town as a professor. And Eric was simply to lazy to go to Sandgem when he could simply get one some other way.

Of course...his mom wouldn't just BUY him a pokemon. Oh no. He had to go earn one by befriending it. This had caused some kinks in getting one. He simply ended up getting screwed over when Tyson comes out of nowhere and scares all the pokemon away. Or worse. Getting them to call for help. Gods...that Staraptor almost KILLED us... He thought back to a year ago. If I hadn't thrown the pokeball to keep it distracted while we escaped...

He shook his head as he went downstairs to drag his friend away from the kitchen where his mom had calmed Tyson down by giving him a pastry. Eric grabbed his own on the way out. “Ok Tyson...what's your NEXT crazy plan?” He inquired.

Tyson instantly brightened up. “OK! I heard there was a legendary pokemon at the Lake! And guess what? I KNOW SOMEONE WHO SAW IT! I want to see it Eric! Can we go?”

Eric thought a moment. It was true that there had been sightings of a mirage pokemon at the lake over the many years. AND there weren't an INSANE number of pokemon on the way there either. And it will shut him up... Eric subconsciously added.

“Ok...let's go...” He grabbed his friend as he jetted off. “NOT SO FAST...get some food we'll have lunch out there ok?” Tyson jumped up and punched the air. “You're the best Eric!”

OoOoOoOo

Dawn sighed as she looked around the grass. Nothing above a first stage pokemon anywhere. The professor was studying evolution. He wanted to compare first stages to their second stages and so on. She sighed and sat back down. He Piplup mimicked her. “Well Piplup this is a disaster! My first day as his field assistant and I'm doing horrible!” She'd been training with the professor and her dad (the professor's aide) for a while to be ready for this. She was EXTREMELY intelligent.

She got up and walked back over to where the professor was. “I'm sorry Professor Rowan I couldn't find anything.” She lowered her head sadly and Piplup did the same. Professor Rowan chuckled and patted her shoulder. “It's ok m'girl. We'll have more luck next time.” As they were leaving the lake two young boys dashed by.

Dawn blinked. “Umm...well I'll give it a bit more time...you can go back to the lab. I'll be ok with Piplup.” Rowan nodded. “I think I'll have some tea...you should be back by dinner or your father with have my head. Even if I AM his boss.” Rowan walked off.

OoOoOoO

Eric was arguing with Tyson. “YOU got us into this! And I am NOT stealing pokemon to get us out of it!” They had been attacked by two Starly. And Tyson had spotted a briefcase with two pokeballs in it. Tyson groaned. “That's it...POKEBALL go!” He tossed one and out came a Chimchar. “Scratch!” Tyson began to battle one of the Starlies. Eric ducked as the other one charged him. “Curse these things...” He took the other ball. “GO!” Out came a Turtwig. “TACKLE!” The grass turtle slammed its body into the Starly.

Soon both Starlies had been knocked out.

Dawn gaped. These guys didn't have any pokemon. And yet they were battling surprisingly well. Especially that cute one with the hat... She added with a blush.

Professor Rowan came up behind her. “So that's where I left my briefcase.” Dawn jumped up shocked and followed him to the boys.

Tyson and Eric gulped as the Professor looked coldly at them. “Well...you two seem to have gotten into a spot of trouble eh? Swing by my lab in Sandgem town later today and we will...discuss this further. Bring those pokemon.” Rowan turned and left. Dawn bit her lip.

“And...I...I'm Dawn his assistant. Nice to meet you!” She ran off with a backwards glance at Eric. Tyson grinned. “Dude! We get to keep the pokemon! And that girl was totally into me!” Eric just looked at his friend. What an ego...she was looking at me the entire time... “Well I'll go to that lab now.” Eric said as he started off. Tyson ran past him. “No way! I'm not wasting anytime! I'll beat you there!” Tyson bolted away.

Eric sighed. “Tyson...must you always rush?” He walked to Sandgem at a leisurely pace. He knocked out a few Starlies on the way. Otherwise it was quite relaxing.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:26 am
Provided by [Akari-Chan]

User Image

Welcome to the Guess that Pokemon! section of the newspaper. Relax from you're day and test your skills at identifying Pokemon with this newspaper game. Now, this is like any other game in a newspaper (I'm gonna asume the guild's newspaper is like a real one) so guess in your head and check the answer to see if you're right. Don't post your answers please cause this isn't a competition to see who gets it right first. You can discuss things about the game though. Answers are underneath each image. Just highlight it to see. Every week or so there will be some new images. (Gasp! Like a new issue of each newspaper! =O Lolz)

How to Play: Guess which Pokemon it is in each image. Each is a closeup of a Pokemon. Answers are underneath. Have fun!

1. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Answer: Seel

2. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Answer: Vulpix

3. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Answer: Swablu

4. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Answer: Mewtwo

nitnit2

nitnit2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 am
The Following by Ravemaster47

in this section of the newspaper, i will battle a random trainer and find quick and easy tips to vbeat them, for those of whom i batttle, it will also show you you're weaknesses and thus making you able to create a better team, i hope this will be a great addition to the newspaper, and my first lucky opponent is a lesser known guild member, Ghost_in_the_Shell47.

welll, we started our battle, ghost sent out a leafeon and i sent out my espeon,

turn 1
espeon pwns leafeon with a psychic attack. and leafeon goes down.

turn 2
he sends out a metagross, and i keep espeon out there. he uses meteor mash and it misses.

turn 3
espen used shadow ball again dropped his hp to a little under half, he hits a meteor mash, nearly ko's espeon

turn 4
espeon uses one more shadow ball before it finally gets ko'd by a meteor mash

turn 5
i send out jolteon and ko him with a thunderbolt metagross goes down

turn 6
i set up a wish with joteon agains his nidoqueen. his nidoqueen used earthquake and ko'd jolteon

turn 7
i send out nidoking and he uses earthquake nidoking holds on with a little amount of hp. i ko it with avalanche and lif orb puts it into the red.joteons wish restores hp.

turn 8
he sends out his dragonite and it used outrage puts nido in red. i used avalanhe again. i ko his dragonite but unfortunately lifeorb takes my nidoking as well.

turn 9
i send out my weavile and he sends out his ninetails, i immediatly switch to umbreon and he uses a flamethrower. umbreon gets burned. umbreon is hut by it's burn and leftovers restored a few more hp's.

turn 10
i used toxic and it misses he used sunny day. i hurt by burn and i gain some hp due to leftovers.

turn 11
i land a toxic attack finally and he uses fire blast umbreons hp is dropped to about yellow. ninetales takes poison damage and i take burn damage, then restore a few more hp's with leftovers.

turn 12
he switched to his jolteon and used raindance, i used moonlight restored a few hp, because the rain lowered the amount i could recover. i take burn damage and recover a bit of hp

turn 13
he uses shadow ball and it hits umbreons hp is a little above halfway, and i use toxic and poision jolteon. he takes poison damage and i take burn damage and leftovers hp.

turn 14 i use protect and he uses shadow ball again, he takes poison and i take burn, i restore hp with leftovers, i'm in yellow now.

turn 15, he hits with a thunder and knocks my hp to nearly nothing and i use payback, i nearly ko his jolteon but in the end poison takes his and the burn takes mine. a a double ko.

turn 16 he's down to his last one, a ninetails, i knew this much so all i had left was a lucario and ad a weavile, i sent out lucario and he sent out his last hope, lucario used aura sphere and took it's hp to half, it used confuse ray and confused my lucario,

final turn
i continued on and used an aura shpere again, the confusion didn't make lucario hurt itself and i ko'd his ninetails.

over all, he did a decent job, however, anyone with a fast and strong garchomp can easily sweep his team, all of them have weakness to ground except for his leafeon and dragonite, but dragonite has a weakness to dragon, leafeon shouldn't be a problem if you have a life orb on your garchomp.

ghost in the shell 47, tips for you are use an agilty r rock polish tm on your metagross, you gotta use those stat raising abilities, or otherwise people are gonna wipe the floor with ya, and try to take out a few of your ground weakness pokemon, replace it with a snorlax or some other staller, a ninjask would probably be a great addition to your team.

that's it for this week's trainer tips, thanks for reading,

-ravemaster47  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:29 pm
Coming Attractions:

Kunx is accepting questions regarding battling, and he will choose the best and answer them!

Nitnit is planning an awesome fanfic that will detail his wifi game's character, and give some more depth to the world in our wifi game.  

nitnit2

nitnit2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 pm
Closing, a note from the editor in chief - nitnit

Well, it's been a little over a week since the incident at D/P, and we made our own guild. I have to say, this is possibly one of the fastest growths in a guild... ever.

Sure, the very original pokemon guilds (TOPG and D/P) had more members in the beginning, but that's because they were there first. They've had many months ahead of us, and, for only 1 week, we're doing pretty damn good member wise.

Not to mention, post wise, we're doing even better. At a rate of originally 1000 posts, and while it's slowed down, about 500 posts a day, we'll quickly make up for whatever we don't have in members with sheer posts... that's how team snagem is 3rd overall. They may have even fewer members than us, but they have over 100,000 posts.

If we were to continue at about 25 members a day, and 500 posts a day, I'm guessing in about a month, we can become number 1 overall!

Keep it up guys, and don't stop being active!

- nitnit  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:22 pm
Feel free to post any feedback/opinions/whatever!  

nitnit2

Kunx990 the Roaming Bard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:33 pm
No one asked me anything T-T  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:22 pm
Kunx990 the Roaming Bard
No one asked me anything T-T

I sent a PM a while ago for JP's newpaper. Use that one.  

Shigeru Kobayashi

Pay Per Cuts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:25 pm
I asked you some stuff on AIM, like does sub stay in if it's baton passed. You could have put that.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:40 am
Pay Per Cuts
I asked you some stuff on AIM, like does sub stay in if it's baton passed. You could have put that.
Baton Passing bulky subs is hot. redface  

Pyfe

Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces