Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Then vs Than

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Suiken has bigger hair (then/than) a tree,but (than/then) who am I to judge? xD
  then-than
  than-then
  ♥Gold ♥
View Results

Professor Aquos

Malevolent Sage

9,525 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:45 am
I do not know if this topic already exists for this guild is way too big. But I must post this. I must say I am fed up of seeing people incorrectly use then and than.

* Use then to show sequence, what happens next. Other meanings include "at that time" and "as a necessary consequence"
Examples:
- The whole family had a leisurely breakfast. We then went outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.
- He was just a little child then.
- If she is going to write another novel, then she should find another editor.
* Use than to compare things.
Example: The dinosaur bones were older than anything I had ever seen before.

Many people use than when they mean then, and vice versa.
Than, a conjunction, is used to compare things.
Then, an adverb, is used with descriptions of time.
• Then, suddenly, Mr. Perez shouted, “I’m a better diver than you’ll ever be!”
• I think she looks dangerously skinny, but then, what do I know?

Now for those of you who know better, educate those who continue the idiocy. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:57 pm
I, too, have noticed the way people incorrectly use then and than. It does get old after a while seeing that its a lot of the time that people do it. It bugs me when I see it repeatedly. rolleyes  

Error Access Denied

Vocal Cannibalism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:23 pm
I must admit, I never really knew there was a difference,
but I'm quite sure I've always used the correct word when writing.

My grammar has always be pretty good though. :/

If the correct answer was the second poll option, I win. :3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:18 pm
Hehe. I am pleased. I got two replies and everyone who voted, voted correctly! Kudos to myself ! Haha. ♥  

Professor Aquos

Malevolent Sage

9,525 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:50 am
Thanks for posting this. I feel like it's a pretty simple distinction, but one that a lot of people mess up. Thanks for helping to educate the masses! wink  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:18 am
I completely agree. It's one of those incredibly simple grammar rules (for once) and yet so many people don't understand the distinction.  

joannemily

applecyder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 am
I see this all the time so correcting this type of grammatical error is an incessant job... confused  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:23 pm
Haha. One person can make a difference as they say . I am glad to be one of those persons xd even if it's just something as simple as this topic hehe.  

Professor Aquos

Malevolent Sage

9,525 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • PvP 200

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:56 pm
I must say that this particular grammar error really does not bother me too much because my boyfriend, though I love him dearly, has very poor grammar and spelling. He tends to get these two mixed up quite often, but I do not call him on it because he does not call me on some of the things I do wrong. But yes, I am one of those who can tell the difference.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:33 pm
To be honest with all of you, I've made this mistake on certain occasions. I chose the second answer for the poll, by the way. =P  

XDBunny

Sylvaniae

Liberal Genius

6,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58 pm
Ugh, I can't stand when people do that. I regularly would RP with someone through IMs, rather than Gaia, and the person I did this with continually confused the two. It drives me nuts, even if I don't say anything. Plus, it's not like this person would care either way. She'd probably fight me on it, even though I know I'm right beyond a shadow of a doubt.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:13 pm
Yeah I still see that error a lot. There are also still a lot of errors with "it's" and "its," "your," and "you're," "whose" and "who's," and "there," "their," and "they're." It's something where I generally don't correct people, cause really, it gets annoying when people correct your every error.

When my friends ask me to correct their papers, though, I will correct those errors.

Fuku Taichou

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:48 pm
wow! I had no idea at all that I was doing that wrong. Thank you very much for putting this topic up!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games