Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Married couple?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:06 pm
A friend of mine recently got married (she's in Ohio, I'm in Montreal. I got two days notice for the wedding. You do that math as to why I'm asking this now). She's one of my very good friends from high school, and I would love to make her something handmade as a wedding gift.

The problem: I have never shopped for a couple before, or made a gift with even a hint of male-ness in mind. To top it off, I've never met him.

All of her friends have doubts about this relationship. To give you a little clue, she's 5 months pregnant, and he's about 15 years older than her. Yeah. We expect this to implode pretty quickly.

Anyway, I want to make her something that will make her feel special and loved, no matter what happens in this relationship, good or bad (we're crossing our fingers...and arms...and legs....and toes...that this works out). At the same time though, I don't want him to feel ignored or left out, and I want to at least make an effort to "welcome him to the family," so to speak.

At first I thought of making each of them a hat, and working the symbol for the Triquetra into it, sort of a "the three of them together forever" kind of thing, but again, I feel kind of weird making something for someone I've never even met.

Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 pm
The hat sounds like a really nice idea. When I had alot of time I would make an afghan for the couple.

You could also (if you can get adult beverages) make a nice wine holder and get them a bottle of wine. You might also try some sort of small ornament (like a christmas tree ornament or a bookmark - especially if you want to give them a small present with a note that says "when I get time I'll make a bigger present")

Good luck!!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:46 am
Those are some nice ideas. The "adult beverage" idea is out, since I'm only 20, and it doesn't seem right to get wine for a pregnant woman.

I actually went out to buy yarn last night, and then I had a mini freak out--I've always used acrylic when making gifts before, because I was broke. Now that I have a bit of cash, and it's a special occasion, I wanted to use a really nice fiber, but the yarn shops around here only carry wool. I only found a few things that were soft enough, and three of them were merino. I'm allergic to wool, but merino doesn't bother me because it's so fine. But the girl I'm making it for has a skin condition. I tried calling her to see if she had any allergies, but she's very hard to get a hold of. :/  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:48 pm
If i had time i'd want to make a blanket big enough for them to both cuddle under. 3nodding Make something that you know is to her tastes, but also consider what a boy would like.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

MicroMiniMuffins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 pm
Hmm...well...as I usually have this same situation (person you love has big special occasion and I want to handmake them something because I have no time to shop/I'm broke), I usually make them something very very very small, or I make a small part of a big project (like a six inch sampler of a blanket or sweater) and give that to them with a note promising that they'll get the full thing when I have more time to make it.
Hm...a 'his and her' tea cosy? Some pot holders? A stuffed fish for the baby? Um...
OH! Make a bag and fill it with little sample-sizes of lotion and...stuff...include some very feminine stuff like nail polish and perfume and some very masculine things, like...um...well anything that isn't very feminine, I guess. Or fill it with candy. That's what I normally give my friends.
Hope I helped a little.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:12 am
Okay, thanks for the ideas. I think I might do the hat for the little girl--a touk, or ear flap hat--and try to make an afghan for her mom and dad. I know a granny square laprobe takes me 36 hours, so I think an actual afghan will probably take 80 or so. XD I should start now, I think....  

knitting_needle_ninja

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:38 am
I find that men usually like practical handmade presents. (The men in my life, anyway - ie, my father and fiance) Something for their kitchen would be nice - like potholders or dishclothes.

The hats are also a cute idea. ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm
I know I'm posting a little late for te two days, but you could make baby clothes for her baby, plus you have a few months until they actually need baby clothes so you have time.  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:49 pm
Oh, the wedding was Aug. 2. I couldn't make it because I'm in Canada and she's in Ohio, so we're going to get together when I get back.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to make a toque of my own design for the daughter (using the triquetta), and some dish cloths for the wedding gift. her birthday is in August though, so I also want to make her something else special, just for her.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games