Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I did that on purpose... No really!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Messy crafter?
  *cough* Yes
  No, I always plan ahead
View Results

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:55 am
How organised are you when starting a project? Like do you have enough yarn + a spare skein, a whole bunch of different needles just in case, pattern, carefully measured and cut pieces, matching thread, every possible thing you might need or do you just... freeform?

I tend to impulse-craft a lot, using things from my stash for most of the things and buying new stuff only when I need to. I've got more useful stuff than I think at home and I've inherited some crafting tools, thread and stuff from my grandmother and great grandmother.

So... I'm currently making a knitting needle roll for my sister since it was her birthday a few days ago. I already had fabric from the time I made her a shoulder bag and another piece that I never got around to using for a bag.

I found a roll of orange thread in a hue that looked ok with the orange fabric for the pockets and started sewing. Lots of pockets... Well, eventually the thread started running low and I realised it wasn't going to be enough to sew everything. After some panicking I carefully planned wich seams I'd leave and then used black thread for those pockets. It created a nice contrast and actually looks like I did it on purpose. Yay!

I only sew when I get crazy ideas like that, and my work area is not that great. The table is too small to lay out bigger projects and I'm a pretty messy person so it gets cluttered quickly.

Have you had any near misses like this?
Any suggestions to become more organised?
Want a tutorial when the needle roll of doom is finished and I've uploaded photos? wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:48 am
I do things like that a lot. I'll start embroidering on something then when I'm halfway through I'll go, "Oh, crap, I'm almost out of purple ribbon!" or something like that. The problem is, I generally don't plan what I'm doing perfectly before I start, I just sort of make it up as I go along. I've been pretty lucky so far, though.  

selenitrope

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 pm
I started crocheting a doll sweater and got a front post double crochet mixed up with a back post double crochet stitch. I was was consistent with the front of the sweater, but now the cables are on the wrong side and I have to remember to put it together with all the wrong sides as right sides now.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:05 am
I'm glad I'm not the only impulsive crafter here. Sure, I try to plan ahead and I usually have some kind of plan, but I keep coming up with new details. I guess it's good to be flexible when mistakes happen...

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:41 am
What sort of crafter I am depends mostly on my current budget. If I'm broke, and the craftin' bug hits, I'll dig through my stash, going "Okay, what can I make with X?" Which usually results in felt trinket boxes, embroidered bookmarks, doll quilts, Christmas ornaments, or knit butterflies.

But if I'm starting in on something big, like a quilt, or a sweater, or the like, then I plan it like an engineer- but no matter how much you plan, there's always something- and that something is often what makes it special or unique. And a seam ripper is always my best friend.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games