Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
IV Breeding?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sexually Dimorphic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 pm
So, I understand IVs and all that jazz. But, I don't understand how people can breed for IVs...

Anyone wanna explain that for me?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:54 am
Sorry I only really understand EV training.....  

PhoenixBlade983

Bouncy_Pineapple

Friendly Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:56 am
I really don't understand it too, but I think if you get a Pokemon with good IVs in speed, and another Pokemon with good IVs in attack, you can get an offspring with good IVs in speed and attack.

I think that's how it goes.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:00 am
As I understand, IV breeding is just plain old Luck.

You breed a pokemon, then you input it's stats, level, nature, and EV's into an equation, and it gives you a number for each of your stats ( 0 to 31 ) the higher the number, the better the IV for that stat.

A perfect IV stat, with an Advantageous Nature, and 252 EV's will give you that pokemons Max Stat.  

neogoth

Sexually Dimorphic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:22 am
neogoth
As I understand, IV breeding is just plain old Luck.

You breed a pokemon, then you input it's stats, level, nature, and EV's into an equation, and it gives you a number for each of your stats ( 0 to 31 ) the higher the number, the better the IV for that stat.

A perfect IV stat, with an Advantageous Nature, and 252 EV's will give you that pokemons Max Stat.
yeah, but the formula for it is only accurate if the pokemon is close to level 50 so I can't imagine they train every pokemon they hatch  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:49 am
3 IVs passed by a parent and the rest are randomized  

Kunx990 the Roaming Bard

Sexually Dimorphic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:52 am
Perfect. That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I heard it was like this:

2 IVs from the Mom
2 IVs from the Dad
2 IVs Randomly

darkmag07

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:56 pm
Kunx990 the Roaming Bard
3 IVs passed by a parent and the rest are randomized

Correct. IV breeding is either trying to randomly get 31's, or specifically passing on the 31's/high IVs you have to other pokemon, either of the same breed, or another one within your egg group.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:44 pm
darkmag07

I heard it was like this:

2 IVs from the Mom
2 IVs from the Dad
2 IVs Randomly

thats not quite right

1 IV comes from the Male
1 IV comes from the Female
1 IV comes form either one

so its posible that 2 IVs come from the male and one from the Female or the other way around.

the other 3 IVs are Random.

I do a lot of IV breeding with my pokemon, basicly what I do is try to pick 2 or 3 stats I want to focus on

say im breeding a Physical Sweeper, I want as close to perfict IVs in attack and Speed as posible with a Adamant or Jolly Nature.

so i breed several pokemon, test them, if one fo the offspring has better attack and/or Speed then its parent of the same gender, then i switch out the old parent and continue breeding until i get the IVs I want

its next to imposible to get 31s in all six stats unless you cheat, but if you focus on jsut a couple stats and get lucky you can breed yourself a decent pokemon  

SkyCore

SkyCore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 pm
spreaking of which, if anyone is in need of help in checking IVs, I would be happy to assist, I pretty much always have pokemon I need to check

send me a PM fi you want to set up a time to run checks  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff