Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
where do you go for yarn? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alekusu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:50 pm
their is this nice little shop in my town called the grinny possum and its where I get my yarn from.

http://www.grinnypossum.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAwgz_d8BUI

where do you get your yarn and stuff at?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 pm
For the most part, I get my yarn from Wal Mart ~ though, if I can find anything suitable, I also have my mom's ginormous stash to go through, & i'll be inheriting another huge stash next month (I get first dibs on yard sale stuff!! hehe)  

Ska Hippie

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:43 am
i get mine from michaels. I'm one of those people who plan ahead and find projects and then buy the yarn. I'm looking for a really good project so i can use the non-cheap yarn.

right now, no projects stand out so i just keep making blankets xD

but its awesome. when i need yarn i can ask two of my friends for some biggrin . their grandmothers are too old to do any crafts and they have TONS of yarn biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:55 am
I go wherever I find the yarn that speaks to me, be it Walmart, JoAnns, Michaels, The Yarn Shop, Knitters mercantile or this little local shop called Jenny's Bead and Yarn.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:02 am
I mostly use this shop- Halcyon Yarn
But I also like Knitpicks

Halcyon is almost a LYS for me- it's about an hours drive, but when you live in the middle of no where New England, an hours drive is pretty much local. I prefrer the store to the website. If I'm really jonesing for yarn, I'll go to my truly LYS- which is actually a quilting shop, but they have a decent, if not great selection of yarn.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 pm
I only go to Michaels, because it's nearby...
My Aunt also has some great yarn which she gives to me on occasion...  

Sugar Bandit

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:39 pm
I get most of my stuff from Joanne and Michaels, but I have been known to order from KnitPicks.

And it's especially nice now because I just got a KnitPicks catalogue with HUGE discounts on yarn (like--six dollars less per skein thru catalogue).

My mom and I have yet to go to a yarn shop...and I can sadly not drive myself (nor do I have the money myself).  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:53 pm
If I need something quick and cheap, I go to A.C. Moore. If I want to invest in a high quality skein of sock yarn, I go to Mission Rose Quiltery. If I want something to dye, I go to Knit Picks. I also do a lot of impulse shopping on Etsy.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Fionamule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 pm
Well lets see theres.....the Needle's Eye, The School of Weaving and Spinning in my town and when I visit my mum theres Hill Country Weavers.

Of course I do hit up Hobby Lobby, Michael's and (the ever so rare trip to) WalMart for the cheaper end of the spectrum.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:21 am
I've gone to Walmart in the past just because they were close and cheap. I'll probably go to Joanne's first now because they're pretty close.
I'm not picky though, I'll pick up yarn at garage sales and thrift stores if it looks good. I found some nice mohair at a garage sale once. I've taken a thrift store sweater apart to reuse the yarn too.
I'm always on a tight budget, so I've had to be creative about how I get my yarn.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:15 am
I shop for yarn everywhere. A little from Wal Mart (though they don't carry many natural fibers) Some from Jo Anns, some from Michael's, some from thrift stores or yard sales, and from every LYS in the vicinity. I'm an equal opportunity shopper.

My favorite is the newest LYS in the city that I work in. The owner is extremely nice and a Star Trek fan, so she lets me knit and watch Star Trek in her shop after work.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:58 pm
i find yarn everywere. t-shirts, fake fur, leather, ribbon, and occasanally real yarn. craft stores are god  

augusteir

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:32 am
I'm also a Wally-World (Wal-Mart) buyer. I like AC Moore and Michaels, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51 pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can only afford the cheap stuff. sweatdrop

I really really really want the good stuff, but if I bought the good stuff I wouldn't have a house to live in.  

AuroraGoryAlice

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

~Viva~Per~Amore~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:54 pm
I go to Joann's and Hancocks for my yarn, but if I see any good yarn inbetween places than I might get it there.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff