Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A Lovely Rant for all of your eyes to Behold.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:35 pm
A friend of mine decided to write a bit of a story on a character that she plays in several RPs.
(Click Here to View.)
A guy that belongs to this guild decided to comment on it... and not so nicely.
Yes, it was crudely done.
No, she's not the best writer in the history of the world... or even the past few DAYS in the small town we live in.
However, it wasn't all that horrid as he made it out to be.
I actually looked over the mistakes and decided I liked it.
Don't worry, I'll make my point. Please don't get bored with me. domokun

I joined this guild because at first, it gave my bleeding eyes a bit of relief. It was also nice knowing that people still care about proper grammar and the like.
I also feel that it is sort of our duty, as intelligent people, to subtly point out people's mistakes-- in a constructive way, of course-- in hopes that they'll correct them and learn from them. However, I think that this guy, KingKidd, was a little harsh. He seemed to think way too highly of himself, and he wasn't even very bright himself. Several of the things he "corrected" weren't completely right, either. Not only that, but in other cases, he made it much, much worse-- when really, it was fine the way that she had it.
I must confess I may have gotten a little heated... and my reply wasn't all that nice. I shouldn't have attacked him like I did; but then again, she's my friend, and he was being a douche with a falsely superior attitude.

Now, I think I'll come to my point. Just because we get annoyed with people for not being the best writers, typers, storytellers, or whatever else, DOES NOT MEAN that we have the right to treat them like they're retarded-- or publicly humiliate them.
If a person like him is representing this guild, then I'd much rather not be a part of it.
So, with all due respect, I'm withdrawing from this guild within the next day or so.
Also, with even more respect, I suggest that it be a rule to be courteous to other people...
In fact... I think it already is confused ... in which case, I feel that I should point out that EVERYONE deserves courtesy-- NOT just the people in this guild.

So goodbye, lovely Grammar Guild. I shall miss you.
That is, of course, unless you're one of those people like KingKidd, and, if you are...
Grow the F**k up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:43 pm
Just an addendum to what I wrote up there about the rules...
I went to the Guild Home to re-read them, and found this:

Quote:

16. Please don't harass other members about typos or accidental misspellings. Pointing out mistakes is OK, but only in a kind and constructive manner. I want all members to feel welcome here.

I know it says "members", but I feel like the part I underlined should be applied to everyone... and I'm pretty sure that's what the intent was. Anyway, That's pretty much it. smile

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

Green Wrath

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 pm
That's unfortunate. I'm actually not a very active member in this guild as I lurk a lot, but I have read some nasty comments from certain members. I agree with you. Many people here are too harsh.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:11 pm
I definitely agree with you. I have said many times, not necessarily in this guild, that we really shouldn't be all "grammar-nazi"-like... People will type how they type, and that is their choice. I say we keep an open mind about this whole thing... No need to be a douche. I myself throw in some chat-speak or whatever, if I need to save time... I just don't care. As long as I can write proper essays, I'm fine.

P.S. For all of the grammar nazis out there...

LYKWHOA OMGWTFBBQ LULZ i CANT BLEVE UR REEDING DIS!!!

Thank you.  

[yin~yang]

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:28 pm
[yin~yang]
P.S. For all of the grammar nazis out there...

LYKWHOA OMGWTFBBQ LULZ i CANT BLEVE UR REEDING DIS!!!

Thank you.

Lol. I think I Love you now.
Marry Me. heart
(Not really, but I AM glad other people see it my way.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:35 am
I agree that we have no right to be grammar-nazis. I too throw in the txt-talk. I'm sorry that your friend was so wrongly treated.  

Amaya84

[yin~yang]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:04 am
No problem... Wow... I can't believe I just did that in a Grammar guild... xDDD

*shrug* I guess it helps, being a mod and all... xD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:55 am
I can understand how you feel. I have been here for less than a month and I must say I would not put it past some members to do what King Kidd did to your friend. I hope she's feeling better and I wish you the best of luck.  

starblazer66

4,700 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Psychotic Daizy Dukes

O.G. Gekko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:21 pm
That's just rude! Even I, as a very strict teacher do not torment other people with my long little breakdowns. I will simply point out a dictionary for small errors, or spell difficult words out. Everyone is strange. And, YES I DO INSULT MY STUDENTS!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:17 pm
...How was I really all that rude? I've been a lot ruder in critiquing.  

KingKidd

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:00 pm
KingKidd
Saying that doesn't really help your case, does it? I have neither read the work in question nor will. I would rather stay out of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:50 am
Niccea Majeare
KingKidd
Saying that doesn't really help your case, does it? I have neither read the work in question nor will. I would rather stay out of it.

Well, I've only been ruder when I pointed out a few things and they proccedingly flamed me.  

KingKidd

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:40 pm
Hey guys! Guess what?

This isn't the place to grouch about each other! Take your god-damned fights out to Barton Towns or something, not here! mrgreen

Good day!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff