Submit

would it?
  yay
  nay
View Results

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:09 am
Okay so I saw this gorgeous cross/crucifix in Spencer's the other day. It was this ruby one and the center was black with a circular ruby in the middle. I almost bought it but...

I'm Wiccan.

Would it be okay for me to wear this cross/crucifix even though it's not the religion I'm a part of?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:04 am
I think the measure of appropriateness is up to you.

I wear a cross even though I'm a Pagan, and my reasoning is that I do believe there was a man named Jesus who was a visionary, and he has been greatly misunderstood and misquoted. I spent a lot of time studying him. I wear it to honor a revolutionary who was lost in editing.  

Divinity Rage

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:18 am
Jadyn_Fortysix

I wear a cross even though I'm a Pagan, and my reasoning is that I do believe there was a man named Jesus who was a visionary, and he has been greatly misunderstood and misquoted. I spent a lot of time studying him. I wear it to honor a revolutionary who was lost in editing.

I believe in Jesus, he was a charlatan, with delusions of grandeur who was able enough to produce illusions in the same way modern magicians might. But thats neither here nor there.

The crucifix itself is a recurring theme in most religious context, bare in mind, the symbol itself only has power when anointed and used in holy means, other wise its about as symbolic as a triangle. Jesus was not the first or the last man to crucified, just remember it that way.

In short... yes you can wear it, without making a statement about your religious beliefs.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:21 am
No one actually places any meaning on the crucifix anymore. Most "Christians" wear it because their pious grandmothers gave it to them, not because they believe.  

Malakoi

Sautana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:27 pm
Jadyn_Fortysix

I would have to agree with you  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:19 pm
Malakoi
No one actually places any meaning on the crucifix anymore. Most "Christians" wear it because their pious grandmothers gave it to them, not because they believe.

Excuse me? I honestly don't want to turn this into a massive religious debate but that was a pretty reckless comment. Regardless of how you may feel, it's inappropriate to make an insulting generalization like that.  

nerdlover08

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:50 pm
SarahArden
Okay so I saw this gorgeous cross/crucifix in Spencer's the other day. It was this ruby one and the center was black with a circular ruby in the middle. I almost bought it but...

I'm Wiccan.

Would it be okay for me to wear this cross/crucifix even though it's not the religion I'm a part of?

It would be fine for you to wear it  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:35 pm
the cross riginally is a symbolism of human, and it was also symbolizing jesus, although most do not use those for a crucifix. i am aetheist, and i bought a new one today! i were it for it symbolizes something to ME. if you loike, by all means, buy it.  

Toasterladd

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:47 am
Jadyn_Fortysix
...a revolutionary who was lost in editing.

That's a great way to describe him smile
I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:51 am
Malakoi

neutral Took a lot of research to learn that, eh?  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Free the immortal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:05 am
personally i think you should do what you please its you life wear what you want do what you want as long as it is not something that would be imorail personally i do not belive in religon seeing as most modern religouns started off as mear cults.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:39 am
I am pagan, and I own a rosary. I will admit a certian amount of it is that is looks cool, but part of it is respect for the figure it represents. Jesus was a pretty cool guy.
Growing up, my family did celebrate the eight sabbats, but we also went to a Catholic church in town. I liked it. It was a pretty building with nice windows where they'd tell us these cool old stories. I think that's why we went. I really liked standing in a row with my sisters in their pretty dresses and me in my little suit. I think that was the first time I wore a top hat. My sisters made fun of it.
I never really thought about it. They said "god", and I thought they meant the lord (horned one, male aspect of divinity, what have you) for about eight years. I figured, since most of the pagan-type rituals focused on the lady, that part of the sharing of aspects was the lord had the tamer, calmer parts of religon, like sitting in a nice building with pretty windows in attractive clothing listening to stories; and the lady had the standing in a grove of trees in a robe with slightly wilder singing. Knowing my parents, the attributes split that way made perfect sense.
I mean, wine and cakes, this is the blood this is the body all that, they can seem really similar to a young boy.

It only occurs to me now, we weren't exactly in the "broom closet", as it were, we drank to the gods, and we went to church. It was about five minutes from our house. It was nice.

Well, there went the topic, sorry about that. sweatdrop I got nostolgic. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if one is eceletic, why not have Jesus in there with Diana and Quetzequatl? I'm sure he won't mind.
His father might, but that's something else entirely.  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

Tusyo

1,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:44 pm
It's fine. As long as you're not rubbing the cross in peoples faces. I do the same thing. I'm not wiccan, I'm agnostic, and I CONSTANTLY bash the catholic religion. (My whole family is North Ireland Catholics, I have good reason too). But, anyway, I still wear crosses and stuff, just cause I like the way they look. Of course half the time I just turn them upside down. XP  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 pm
Crosses look great, I have several necklaces with crosses on them and I'm the biggest atheist I know. Go for it!  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:49 pm
spooky_sez
Crosses look great, I have several necklaces with crosses on them and I'm the biggest atheist I know. Go for it!

xd To be honest, I didn't know that there were measurements of atheism.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff