Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Poetry
a few of mine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

anime roy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:59 am
I am new here and since i do, on occasion, write poetry i thought i would send you to my deviant art.
Would you be so kind as to click this easily noticed link?
please comment on anything you read, i rarely get any feedback and personally i think that my poetry is sub-par. If you do not have a deviant art please feel free to comment here about any of my poems.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:16 pm
Ok, I only took the time to read one poem because frankly, I'm just too tired to read much more. Besides, I want to get my poem up, get my workout done, and wind down for the night.

I read "Sub Par Doesn't Quite Cut It." It's good, but I've got a few comments you may be able to use to improve it.

First, you don't use proper punctuation. While that doesn't really change the flow of the poem, it does take a little something away from it. I've always seen poetry as an emotional and intellectual pursuit.

Perhaps my view is a bit skewed, but a lack of proper punctuation seems to take away from the intellectual part of poetry that I feel is so integral. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to call you an idiot or anything, I'm just trying to say that I think things would look better with proper punctuation.

Secondly, while your poem definitely had a flow, and a good one, it flowed more like a rap song than it did a poem. Your lines were uneven, and so it seemed like you were just trying to find properly rhyming words to tack on to the end of your sentences. The verses were good, but you need to make them a little more uniform. I may be a little hypocritical, as some of my poems are rather un-uniform, but I try to avoid it for the most part. Try putting in approximately the same number of syllables, or if nothing else, about the same number of words, into each line.

Lastly, and this is probably about as minor as the punctuation thing, try spacing out your lines. A poem with proper spacing seems to look nicer than a long line of sentences. Try finding a good breaking point and then putting a space between lines. Not only does it look nicer, but it also gives the poem a better flow, adding pauses and creating verses. Shorter poems don't usually need more than one verse, but for a poem as long as the one I read, spacing is critical.

Altogether the actual message and words in your poem are good, you just need to work a little on your construction.  

Mosqui

anime roy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:35 pm
Thank you for your opinion, i only put new work on there when i am getting ready to go to bed (which happens to be a little bit after i have problems seeing strait). I usually dont try to structure my poetry very much because i am lazy and quite often the 'wall of text' if you will is one of the many factors that go into my poems. I usually go back and edit my poetry after a few days but i have not gone online and made the adjustments. Thank you very much for the comment again and have a good evening.  
Poetry

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games