Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Holes in my scarf[solved, thanks guys!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YvetteEmilieDupont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:02 pm
Okay, so I'm making a scarf, and it's my first real knitting project.

I will randomly get these loops that become huge, and then they produce holes in my project. What is causing them, and how do I avoid them?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:35 pm
They could be dropped stitches or yarn overs. A yarn over is when you accidentally wrap the yarn around your needle and then knits it as a regular stitch on the next row. This will create a small hole in your work.

If you drop a stitch it might start to unravel and create bigger holes.

I find it helpful to count my stitches now and then to see if I've got as many stitches as I started out with. You should also try to learn how to spot a dropped stitch or yarn over. The best way is probably to do it on purpose and see what happens and how it looks.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

YvetteEmilieDupont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 pm
Annchen
They could be dropped stitches or yarn overs. A yarn over is when you accidentally wrap the yarn around your needle and then knits it as a regular stitch on the next row. This will create a small hole in your work.

If you drop a stitch it might start to unravel and create bigger holes.

I find it helpful to count my stitches now and then to see if I've got as many stitches as I started out with. You should also try to learn how to spot a dropped stitch or yarn over. The best way is probably to do it on purpose and see what happens and how it looks.

Ah, okay. So if I drop a stich if I unravel it back to before the whole and put the needle back through I should be fine right?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 pm
I realized it was me picking up stitches, and dropping them. xd .
I nevertheless restarted my scarf, i'm going to become a**l about it. 32 stichtes and that's it no more, no less. smile  

YvetteEmilieDupont

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:04 am
A crochet hook can be useful to fix mistakes like this.

Try knittinghelp.com, they have videos on how to fix common mistakes.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:22 am
how do i do a cable cast on? confused  

Thalassa_necessity

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:48 pm
I've got no clue... knittinghelp.com shows a lot of different types of cast on but I've only tried long tail cast on.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games