Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Shrinking Patterns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merissa Hino

Mewling Muse

14,625 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:21 pm
I believe in Faeries...

I'm going to start making clothes for 18 inch dolls (like American Girl Dolls), and i've got some patterns that I really like the look of, in regular size clothes. What would be the best way to get the patterns doll sized? Try to draw them myself or is there another way?

Do you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:18 pm
You could try to scale them down using graph paper or reduce them on a copier. I don't know the math formulas to figure out the percentage they would need to be reduced, or what size graph papers to use though, sorry. If you use either of these methods you will probably find that some of the measurements don't match up, dolls are very rarely perfect scale models of people.
There are some free patterns for the American Girl type doll floating around on the web, you might also find some of these and adapt them.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

augusteir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:55 pm
divide all the numbers of stiches by 3 and work on 5 less needles than th e patterns calls for  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 pm
If you're sewing, check the 'craft' section of the pattern books. They are makeing more and mroe doll-sized patterns for sewers, both in barbie sizes and larger collectible doll sizes.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:57 am
That's very true. I really like the look of the books by Joan Hinds on this page. http://www.infinitefreedom.com/pattern-books-pages/index.html  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:18 pm
That site makes me very happy. I'm going to have to order a few of the books off of there. The one sells on amazon for like, $81  

Merissa Hino

Mewling Muse

14,625 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items