Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I found this quite amusing...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Funny?
  yes
  no
  pollwhore!
View Results

Amaya84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:24 am
I have a friend who works at as a tutor for English at our city college. She is a walking thesaurus, and quite gifted in the English Arts. After working for only two weeks, she has sent me this amusing email that I feel compelled to share, for hilarity's sake.

Perhaps this sounds a bit snippy but... I hereby declare this the (mine anyway) first two commandments of tutorial sessions...for those receiving the help:

Thou shalt take responsibility for, as you say, "f******* up" thine own paper and not accuse he/she who has come to thy timely aid of either doing this or greatly contributing to that huge linguistic SNAFU thou fully intendest to submit for a grade two hours hence.

Thou shalt not argue lengthily and boisterously with thy tutor over the "rightness" of thy grammatical errors. Verily, thou canst not write the way thou speakest--there are rules and precedents!

That's all...done venting...but very soon I may, indeed, have my own decalogue!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Biblical speech just fries my brain when I try to read it...  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:03 pm
That's incredible! All those years spent in my grandparents' church have finally paid off!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:46 pm
That's great. If someone is going to a tutor for help, he or she obviously knows there will be problems in the paper and has no right to argue grammar points. Tutors fix the paper you "f***ed up." I certainly wouldn't want to tick off someone tutoring me. Imagine the damage a tutor could do by instructing you to do something completely incorrect. Chances are, the tutor could blame it on the student saying, "Well, he/she just didn't accurately understand what I was trying to convey."

You really can't right like you talk. I do that some in informal conversations online (notably an excessive use of contractions and run on sentences produced via commas), but I clean up my writing a lot when it is a paper I need to turn in.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items