Simon R. Green

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:20 pm
I just read my first book by this author yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone else here has read it. I'd been debating reading it for a while, and when I went to the bookstore yesterday they didn't have any other books that I wanted, so I finally got the first one in the series.

It was really good. I read it in maybe three hours, total (although I fell asleep for about two hours, but that wasn't the book's fault). I should've read it before.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:11 am
Of course. I love the Nightside series, and I hope Simon R. Green writes more novels. My favorite quote from Something from the Nightside was:
"As usual, someone had spelt Cthulhu wrongly."

Are you familiar with either The Atrocity Archive or The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross? If you like the novels of Simon R. Green, you might like the works of Charles Stross, which are collected by SFBC as an omnibus edition under the title, On Her Majesty's Occult Service.
Picture an unholy collaboration between John LeCarre and H.P. Lovecraft combining the Cold War spy novel and the weird fiction of the Cthulhu Mythos and you have the novels of Charles Stross. Very entertaining, with the same wit and cleverness as Simon R. Green and a bit of absurdity like you would find in Terry Pratchett or the more humorous works of Neil Gaiman.

godhi

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:15 pm
Haven't heard of those, but they sound interesting. I'll see if I can find either or them.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:18 am
I have all of the Deathstalker books by Simon R. Green, the Blue Moon books. I even found the Deathstalker short stories book (that was hard to find). There's 9 books altogether in the Deathstalker series and 4 books in the Blue Moon series. I liked all of them smile  

Darth_Magus1

Wissakins

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:06 pm
A couple christmases ago I got the book club edition of the Nightside novels. I sat and read them in order for the first time. I had read a few from the local library, but was having trouble finding the missing books.

I just discovered he's written new Nightside novels since I last read them. So now I have to go and find and buy them to catch up. His world is rather twisted, but oh so enjoyable.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:25 am
I finally discovered the Nightside and I'm hooked. The stories are not as in-depth as, say, the Dresden Files, but they are quite delightful to read. I love the absurdity of the characters and how the Nightside mixes tech, magic, religion, alien, and everything in-between into one big mess that somehow functions.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:42 pm
Anyone read the GhostFinders series? It's what the TV ghost hunting shows wish they were. rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm
Maze353
Anyone read the GhostFinders series? It's what the TV ghost hunting shows wish they were. rofl

Ummmmm now I might have to read them because those shows are my favorite thing to make fun of...  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:43 pm
NightIntent
Maze353

Ummmmm now I might have to read them because those shows are my favorite thing to make fun of...

The titles are:
1. Ghost of a Chance (2010)
2. Ghost of a Smile (2011)
3. Ghost of a Dream (2012)
4. Spirits from Beyond (2013)
5. Voices from Beyond (2014)
6. Forces from Beyond (2015)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:51 pm
Supposedly the Ghost Finder series is the basis for a movie called Judas Ghost that came out in 2013. But I can't find a copy of it anywhere. sad  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Skaedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:24 am
I keep hearing good things about him, but I never see the first book in a series by him -- or a standalone-- at our local used bookstore. And I'm being a skinflint right now, so no new books for me for quite a while.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:52 pm
Skaedi
I keep hearing good things about him, but I never see the first book in a series by him -- or a standalone-- at our local used bookstore. And I'm being a skinflint right now, so no new books for me for quite a while.

His books don't necessarily have to be read in order. There is a bigger over-arching plot line through each series but it's pretty easy to pick up on it even if you jump in in the middle. The Deathstalker series is the exception; so much happens in each book it can get a bit confusing.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces