Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tips & Tricks (knitting and crochet)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

taligator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:52 am
So here's a thread for tips & tricks for knitting and crochet.

I'll start off with:

If you are making an item that requires a certain length, cut a piece of yarn (cheap throwaway is fine) to the desired length, say 44", and then tie it to your first row of stitches.

When you are working you can easily measure how much left you have to stitch by holding the completed work against the yarn "measuring stick". It's easy and portable and you don't have to pull out a measuring tape each time.

Anyone else?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am
I think that's a pretty good idea. I've noticed that they're starting to sell knitting needles with ruler markings on them.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:08 am
I picked this up from Stich'n;b***h, but I find it really helpful- when you're counting stitches, like to check that you cast on the proper number or you think you might have accidentally decreased or whatever, count by threes and twos.

So I'd count 3, 5, 8, 10, 13, 15, 18....

It makes it much easier to not loose count  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:48 pm
Both good hints.

I find when doing complicated stitches in your first row in crochet, it helps to mark the last chain stitch from the base row so you remember its the "end" of the chain. I like reusable knitting place markers for this. I kept loosing a stitch when my first row used treble stitch, and found this the only way to get it right.  

Silver Mist

Alizera

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 pm
A good tip would be to read through the pattern of a project first before starting it. It'll help you understand it in the long run.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 am
experiment with different ways of holding the yarn. Some may end up being easier than others.  

hyper_azn_girl

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:04 am
When working on crochet, if you need to stop, preferred at the end of round/row, just pull your loop so you have an extra large loop. Then tie a slip knot in it. Good way to stop and go back to work in crochet.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games