Welcome to Gaia! ::

Team Snagem: A Pokemon RP

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying Guild offering a wide variety of features and characters. 

Tags: Gijinka, Snagem, Pokemon, Literate, Roleplay 

Reply Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)
"Cold One's Review" -- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 pm
Well first one got a bit of attention, though it doesnt really show it, so why not just live and learn and try again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome back to the world of Metroid Prime, where you play the role of a golden haired chick that takes crap from nothing and can dish out a world of hurt. And even better still, you see it through her eyes. How well does it play in the hands of the "Cold One?" Stick around...

Story

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption takes place right after the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Again, you dawn the helmet and go through various locales, shooting everything that moves, scanning whatever doesn't, and get your job done. What makes the Prime series a bit unique compared to the rest of the Metroid series is that Retro Studios tries to emphasize story, but pretty much failed in that aspect since in the previous two games, you had to scan for it. Not true here in this game, per se. Most of the story is presented to you through elaborate cut-scenes which are great. Not to mention, the story isnt all that confusing at all. Then again, I was one who played the previous two games so it wouldn't be. Those who are new to the Prime series may not figure out what is going on until about a third of the way through the game, hence one would have to scan for it anyways and hope they find some clarification.

Graphics

Like any Wii game should, the graphics are phenomenal as they should be. From explosions to particle effects, and every frame of the game running just as smooth as the last, there is no excuse at all why it should be any different. The Wii has too much horsepower just to let it go to waste.

Sound

Everything from the background music to what is going on in your surroundings is right on as it should be. Now if I only had surround sound. Anyways, the music for instance is fitting with the scenerio. Strolls through uncharted territory will prove to be somewhat calming, or unnerving given that you are basically alone out in the world, and boss battle musics will be like the fights themselves. Frantic. Sound effects are just as good. Explosions, gun shots, you name it, it sounds natural......for what it is.

One thing though I might need to mention is the voice overs. Yes oh yes, we finally got voice overs in this game. They are just about everywhere in this game. People talking to you, intercoms blaring messages to workers, computer systems letting you know how long before you are going to die, the works. They are good in general, but one pet peeve I tend to have is when someone pronounce Samus's name wrong. Its SA-MUS ARAN not SAM-MUS AIR-RAN...and while I'm at it...

Its...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ryu

(Ree-you not Ry-you)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gradius

(Grad-ius not Grade-d-us)

Get it? Got it? Good...moving on.

Gameplay

Ah, now we get into the meat of the game. Now with the player brandishing a Wiimote instead of GCN controller, I have to admit the play controls will feel awkward at first. What you would figure would be your trigger finger is actually your jump button pusher. A to fire, B to jump. However, if that doesnt suit you, you can always change the control setup to the Wiimote before going to play your game or even during the game when its paused for the most part.

As for moving, again, rather awkward. Though I feel a hint of Metroid Prime: Hunters in this, where on the DS you used the stylus to aim and turn direction and the D-pad to move. Well, its rather similar here. Like with the DS, the Wiimote itself is what you aim and turn directions, and the Control stick on the Nunchuck is how you move. Takes a bit of getting used to, but you should be used to it long before the action starts going into full swing very early in the game.

For those who has played MP1 and 2, again Lock-on returns to you. Before you jump for joy though, unfortunately for those who abused it... *raises hand for being one of those* the Lock-on only functions as just something to keep your eyes set on a target. The aiming still has to come from you. So if you miss, its YOUR fault. Adds quite a nice bit of challenge to the game.

Now as for the game itself, there is a kind of an awkward balance between the gun blazing, puzzle solving, and your quiet dull moments...one area may be heavy with enemies that would like your head on a silver platter, other areas may have puzzles even a 2 year old could figure out, then of course the dull moments where you are just walking around, probably wondering if you took a right turn. But that is common of Metroid, it emphasizes exploring and MP3 is no different. Reason why I say its awkward though, at least for THIS Metroid game, is that whole worlds may be heavy in some aspect and weak in others...while gun blazing might be common at the Pirate homeworld for instance, its not as such as the Sky Town save for certain parts, and that is rather uncommon for a Metroid game. Rather it is because of the vastness of where you can explore or not, I have yet to figure it out.

Difficulty

The game in general is rather hard, thanks (or no thanks) to the enemies you will face within the various locales you visit. Reason being is that enemies tend to be rather smart, and compounded by the fact that you have to be a sharp shot with the Wiimote, it doesnt make it any easier. To make it that bit more tough, since the gun that you have can combine beam weapons a la Super Metroid, programmers instead thought it would be a good idea to bolster a lot of health into enemies, otherwise they'd probably all die in one uncharged beam weapon shot. Bosses prove to be just as hectic as always, and even at times puts a lot of pressure on you. Like a particular fight dealing with our favorite oversized space canary... stare For those who like making minimum percentage speed runs...good luck.

And if normal mode isnt hard enough for you anymore, there is always veteran mode which is the games alleged hard mode, and there is a extra difficulty mode unlocked when you complete the game once.

Extras

Most of the extras one gets in this game comes in the form of credits that you earn throughout the game in some fashion. Most of them come from scans, rather it be lore or creature based, some comes from killing off bosses within the various difficulty modes. There are some special credits that you can get if you kill off enemies in some fashion...some...brutal fashion... *cough*

Anyways, these credits that you earn you exchange in a menu when you go to choose your game. Extras involve concept art, sound tracks, and maybe a easter egg or two for you to see in game. Who would love to see the Gunship covered in Nintendo based bumper stickers? In all seriousness though the credits are kind of overrated to get. All you get is sound tracks, only a few easter eggs, and see the concept art which the game is made from. At least though getting this stuff is easier than the past two games. Rather it be a godsend or a let down, you'd be the judge.

Oh, while I am at it. Wanted to blow someone's head off via Wi-fi? Go play Halo, multiplayer is not here. But with what the game has to offer, really...who needs it?

Replay Value

Replay value in particular will vary on the player with this game. Metroid games are known for their addictive qualities in whatever right the player sees it as. If they love it, they want to see if they can beat the game in a faster time, lower (or higher) percentage, etc, then its right there for one to play. With the credits, it also gives one something to work for as well.

Summary

In short, Metroid Prime 3 is a rather good game for the Wii, a must have I will go as far as to say. With the various environments to explore and the tough enemies to take down, you'll be preoccupied with it for a while. If a story based game with no multiplayer is a let down to you, quit reading now and go emo in Halo. But if you want real good experience on how the Wii should be played as, pick this one up. I would say on a scale from 1 to 10, this deserves a 9 at the least in my book.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:03 am
Wow Blizz, I was under certain about getting Metroid Prime: Corruption until I read your review. XD Now I want it badly. @_@ I've never been big on shooter games but ever since playing Metroid Prime I've given them a chance. The controls for MP3 sound interesting, since I don't have a Wii game that uses the Wiimote and Nunchuck to its full extent I'm even more curious to play MP3. Excellent review though Blizz! Also...I'm with you on the pronunciation thing. :B Several more other names in video games that people just LOVE to mispronounce. << But like I said, great review!  

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

Dumb Furret

Fashionable Receiver

7,875 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:58 am
I don't have a wii and might not get one anyway. Also.

POKEEMAN.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:52 am
TOO ******** SHORT.

oh and halo has a better story than metroid you just have to read the books :B  

Thursdays Noon

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:20 pm
Thursdays Noon
TOO ******** SHORT.

oh and halo has a better story than metroid you just have to read the books :B

Oh now we have to read their accompanying BOOKS for the story...wow...talk about Bungie and Microsoft being a bit desperate for cash... <.<"  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:19 pm
Blizzard120
Oh now we have to read their accompanying BOOKS for the story...wow...talk about Bungie and Microsoft being a bit desperate for cash... <.<"

books aren't published by bungie or microsoft and they're actually pretty good :B  

Thursdays Noon

Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff