Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Showing off

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you tat?
  I love it!
  No, but I would love to learn.
View Results

NeedleDreams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:31 am
A year ago I started a tatting challenge. The challenge was to make 25 motifs using 25 techniques in tatting. I finished it a few days ago and I made a video. It's on my home page and this is the direct link if you want to see it.

25 Motifs Challenge

There's a group of tatters that are doing their own 25 Motifs Challenge. I was one of them. I would like to make it again but I need suggestions for a new theme. Any suggestions from this forum? question

If you log into YouTube, could you please leave a comment and/or rate the video? Thanks!

NeedleDreams  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 pm
I finally had time to watch the video and all I can say is "WOW"!
My mother did a little bit of tatting when she was younger, but it was never really her "thing". I haven't even tried it because the thread is so small. I had trouble crocheting with size 50 thread, doing anything with size 70 or smaller sounds like it would be a nightmare.
I am glad that people still tat. I sometimes worry that we will lose our needle arts as we become more and more technologically advanced.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

NeedleDreams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:34 am
One of the beauty of tatting is that you can use any size of thread or even yarns. As long as the fiber is smooth you can tat with it. I personally like fine threads but I have made works using regular crochet thread (#10) and baby yarn.

Also there's the "new" needle method and it's easy to learn and with that you can use virtually any yarn or thread. SOme of my friends have made boas using fancy yarns. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 pm
That is pretty darn awesome.  

I be me
Vice Captain

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:40 pm
Those are stunning! I bow to you. I tat a little and I think it's amazing that more and more people are keeping up the art. WOW!

As a sidenote, I also love the sci fi references in the vid. (and the Star Trek Music.)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:53 am
Actually, it's Star Wars. And extremely appropriate. My persona; favorite was the black and white one near the beginning. 3nodding  

AriRashkae

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 am
AriRashkae
Actually, it's Star Wars.

The credits say Star Wars... but trust me, dear God, it's Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Star Trek the Motion Picture. I have that CD

~*~*~*~

But this thread is about tatting, so I have to say my fav is the clunny leaves. That would make a marvelous piece of tatted jewelry, particularly if done with some green and some tiny seed beads.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:10 am
Thats so amazing! How in the world do you do it?  

caffinated_tulip

NeedleDreams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:31 am
caffinated_tulip
Thats so amazing! How in the world do you do it?

I'ts call Tatting Lace and you use a shuttle or a needle. I preffer shuttles. It's not difficult to learn using needles first. You can Google it and you will find sites and groups that teach how to tat.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:33 am
YourAzureGoddess
AriRashkae
Actually, it's Star Wars.

The credits say Star Wars... but trust me, dear God, it's Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Star Trek the Motion Picture. I have that CD

~*~*~*~

But this thread is about tatting, so I have to say my fav is the clunny leaves. That would make a marvelous piece of tatted jewelry, particularly if done with some green and some tiny seed beads.

stressed Yep. It's Star Trek. I made the mistake choosing the music. I have both on my music and clicked on the wrong one! xp  

NeedleDreams

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff