Reply Nintendo Guild
So I'm at college with no money for new games

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CirePrahs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:28 pm
So I'm at college with no money for new games. What super obscure oldschool excellence should I emulate?

I've got my SNES here with me, so don't think I haven't worn holes in the likes of Super Mario RPG, Megaman X1-3, Super Metroid, Illusion of Gaia etc.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm
SNES? How about the original Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean? There's always Battle Toads for excellent difficulty. Also. No emulatie stare It hurt innocent products crying

In all seriousness...discussions are allowed but no linkage, asking for linkage, or saying you'll provide linkage upon request wink ToS reminder here folks ^_^  

Edymion
Captain

CirePrahs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:30 pm
Edymion
SNES? How about the original Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean? There's always Battle Toads for excellent difficulty. Also. No emulatie stare It hurt innocent products crying

In all seriousness...discussions are allowed but no linkage, asking for linkage, or saying you'll provide linkage upon request wink ToS reminder here folks ^_^

Emulating hurts products that have ceased to be sold, even used at Gamestop?
Anything current gen is clearly off limits, but only so many grey cartridges were made and many more gamers exist.

Still ToS are ToS, so what should I play; whichever way I choose to do so.

(Good suggestions though, Edymion.)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:03 am
You'll note that ToP and SO were never released state-side xd When ToP "was" released on the PSx and GBA, it's story was altered to be PG-friendly.

Also. I'm not stoping the discussion, just linkage and promises of linkage :p  

Edymion
Captain

_CFTM
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:54 am
CirePrahs
Emulating hurts products that have ceased to be sold, even used at Gamestop?

It hurts if the products were re-released on the virtual console biggrin

If you like dungeon crawlers, you could try Shin Megami Tensei. It's a bit like pokemon, but instead of catching them, you have to talk and persuade them to join you. Depending on if your alignment is good, evil, or neutral, they might just fight you instead.

New Horizons (sequel of Uncharted Waters) is an addictive adventure/strategy/rpg. You sail around, make new discoveries, attack enemy ships and pirates, trade goods, buy ships, and more. It's very non-linear xd

I also suggest Earthbound. =)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:48 am
Strangely... xp I hadn't thought of that...

Wait... What system is that Shin Megami Tensei on? I might just have to check it out O_o

I really need to get my hands on the Mother (aka: Earthbound) series...  

Edymion
Captain

_CFTM
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 pm
Shin Megami Tensei is on the SNES. Unfortunately, it was never released here, so the only way to play it is through emulation. My alignment in the game went from neutral, to good, to neutral. The weapons you wear are also affected by your alignment razz

Here's hoping that Mother will be released on the virtual console 4laugh  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:01 pm
Oh! Since Nintendo's starting to release "import" VirtualConsole games, I sincerely hope this one makes it! Of course, I have a feeling that games such as that one will be age-restricted xp I don't mind. Being 24 means I can play any game I want ^_^

I really hope Nintendo takes real advantage of the emulation capabilities of the VirtualConsole. I can't wait until somebody, Nintendo or other, creates a HDD that can be used by the Wii for loading and playing VC games.

Speaking of... Isn't there another game along the lines of Illusion of Gaia that was never released State-side? I've been looking, but I can't seem to remember the exact title... I think I remember reading that Illusion of Gaia was the name of the sequel to the game released here State-side and the original name for that game was something else...  

Edymion
Captain

_CFTM
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm
It'd be really nice if Shin Megami Tensei was released on the VC. You're right that it would be age-restricted. Thinking back to some of the monster designs... they were artistic, yet.. um.. showy (if you know what I mean) razz

I hope Nintendo creates an HDD as well. In a way, I think it would be expected of them or another party to create one for the Wii, once the Neo Geo games are released (hopes they release the SNK vs. Capcom card fighting game xp ).

Are you talking about a game called Terranigma? I've done some research and it seems, according to Wikipedia, that Terranigma is related to Illusion of Gaia, and it was never released here. Though Terranigma would be the sequel, if anything, 'cuz of the release dates. Soul Blazer also seems to be related to Illusion of Gaia, but that was released here razz

Soul Blazer was such a fun game XD Illusion of Gaia was fun, but sooo tough sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 pm
Neo Geo games already have been released, but it's not until the "later years" of the Neo Geo that they started taking up a lot of space. I think an HDD will be coming out soon...

As for Shin Megami Tensei... Say no more xd

I don't think I was talking about Terranigma... Good game, but it had a different artistic feel from Illusion of Gaia. I think it was Illusion of Time or something... What I think happened was Illusion of Time was released in the US as Illusion of Gaia then the sequel in Japan was Illusion of Gaia. Confused yet? xp I'll have to look it up some time... Could be wrong, though.

I liked Illusion of Gaia ^_^ I never played Soul Blazer...  

Edymion
Captain

_CFTM
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:20 am
According to NintendoLand.com, the sequel to Illusion of Time/Illusion of Gaia is Terranigma, and that the prequel is Soul Blazer. No idea how credible they are about it, though.

You should totally try out Soul Blazer! It's pretty cool, and tough. Personally, I prefer that over Illusion of Gaia or Terranigma. xd  
Nintendo Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games