Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Metroid Guild

Back to Guilds

Journey to the very depth of Zebes, the official guild for the Hardcore Metroid Fan. 

Tags: Metroid, Samus, Prime 

Reply The Official Metroid Guild Main Forum
After playing both Corruption and Fusion...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one do you prefer?
  Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  Metroid Fusion
View Results

-The Gray Legend-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:03 pm
I just got Metroid Fusion today, and right off the bat I noticed things that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption borrowed from it. For example, Samus being infected with a life-threatening life form, and then getting a new suit that allows her to use said substance to her advantage.

Another thing I noticed was ledge grabbing. I don't know if other games featured this as well, but I've only seen this in Fusion and Prime so far. One thing that made me realize this was that sometimes in Fusion you go straight from a ledge grab to Morph Ball. I remembered doing that frequently in Corruption.

SPOILERS

The last thing I noticed was how suit upgrades were given to you by defeating creatures corrupted by a Core-X. In Metroid Prime 3 after defeating a creature corrupted by Phazon in the Leviathan you get new abilities to use when in Hyper-Mode.

I'll add more as I come across them.

In the end, I noticed Corruption and Fusion shared a lot of the same traits.

DISCUSS:

arrow Why do you think Retro borrowed so many traits from Nintendo's creation?

arrow Do you think this helps Corruption or hurts it?

arrow Which game do you prefer?

arrow Anything else on-topic that I didn't mention.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:41 am
And to everyone who hated Fusion but loved Corruption...I LAUGH AT YOUR FACE.
Seriously, people were whining about Fusion's concept of how Samus lost her power-ups, but I think it's a better excuse than in Prime. I loved Fusion, minus the SA-X. And the computer? I needed that, otherwise, I would've gotten lost like I had on Super Metroid and Zero Mission the first time around and wasted hours doing nothing.  

Sakana_Izumi

-The Gray Legend-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:53 am
Sakana_Izumi
Seriously, people were whining about Fusion's concept of how Samus lost her power-ups, but I think it's a better excuse than in Prime. I loved Fusion, minus the SA-X. And the computer? I needed that, otherwise, I would've gotten lost like I had on Super Metroid and Zero Mission the first time around and wasted hours doing nothing.
Lol, me too. And I still get lost in Fusion. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 am
I'm still stuck in Fusion... Stupid Nightmare Boss!
Anyway, I think your right I have noticed a lot of the same stuff going on.

Which reminds me; Since in the storyline Metroid Prime3 comes before Fusion.
Will they talk about Alex? ((The guy Samus had a liking for in Fusion, the one who was named after the Computer.))

((Note I haven’t beat MP3 yet!!))  

-ChozoChild-
Crew

-The Gray Legend-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:06 pm
-ChozoChild-
I'm still stuck in Fusion... Stupid Nightmare Boss!
Anyway, I think your right I have noticed a lot of the same stuff going on.

Which reminds me; Since in the storyline Metroid Prime3 comes before Fusion.
Will they talk about Alex? ((The guy Samus had a liking for in Fusion, the one who was named after the Computer.))

((Note I haven’t beat MP3 yet!!))
I doubt it, I'm pretty far in it, and I doubt they would bring up Adam Malkovich for several reasons:

1. She's at the source of Phazon on the last level, bringing up Adam would be kind of irrelevant.Sorry, that was a spoiler.

2. They really went out of their way to introduce and explain Adam's character in Fusion. No point in introducing him in a game that comes before Fusion just to introduce him again.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:06 pm
Sakana_Izumi

The difference between Fusion's more "YOU MUST DO THIS NOW" and Corruption's "Hey, you kinda need to go there and do this eventually" style is why most people hated fusion. Also, sequence breaking in Fusion was more fun than aimlessly wandering around and listening to Adam's computerized mind.

Anyway, Corruption opened up more on what Fusion experimented on and Zero Mission and the first two Primes beta tested: Soft Nudging to guide the path (although I do recall one part in Corruption where there's a literal hidden timer that will cause the game some issues and delays later on if you take your time).

Playing through a game like Metroid and getting lost is half the fun because you have to figure out how the hell you got there and what you gotta do to get back. If we all played games strictly by storyline, we'd never be able to find that last few missiles or energy tanks.

Spoiler Following: After you gain access to Phaaze, having Unlimited HyperMode is just awesome. Oh, and Adam is NEVER mentioned in this game, which leads us to wonder where in the storyline he commanded her prior to Fusion (which is chonologically last in the in-game timeline)  

Lycos Hayes

nuGen Staff Werewolf

4,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • nuGen Staff 25
  • The Committee Staff 25

Saiyan Master Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:32 pm
Wii4Mii
arrow Why do you think Retro borrowed so many traits from Nintendo's creation?

arrow Do you think this helps Corruption or hurts it?

arrow Which game do you prefer?

arrow Anything else on-topic that I didn't mention.

1 - I believe there was a positive response to the concept of Fusion, where Samus becomes infected, needs a new suit, and is on the lookout for a copycat. Aside from that, the time was right for Samus to do something with Phazon herself. Yes, in Prime 1 she got the Phazon Suit, but it was very short-lived. Now at her third game involving the mysterious substance of Phazon, it was quite appropriate to have her use it to her advantage . . . or disadvantage, sometimes.

2 - This is a major thumbs-up for Corruption. It's sold more in two days than Prime 2 did in two weeks.

3 - Corruption, hands down. Fusion was far too linear for my liking.

4 - Nothing that I can think of at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:37 pm
Sakana_Izumi

Although games like Super Metroid and Zero Mission can get confusing direction-wise, Fusion hands you your next objective (and how to do it) on a silver platter. Aside from having to defeat the enemies yourself, the rest was pretty much done for you. The instruction sequences (where Adam tells you what to do) were also too extensive. I got tired of reading how to beat each part of the game. Although Fusion is unique because of this, I found it didn't help the game as much as Nintendo had intended.  

Saiyan Master Vegeta

-The Gray Legend-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 pm
Saiyan Master Vegeta
Sakana_Izumi

Although games like Super Metroid and Zero Mission can get confusing direction-wise, Fusion hands you your next objective (and how to do it) on a silver platter. Aside from having to defeat the enemies yourself, the rest was pretty much done for you. The instruction sequences (where Adam tells you what to do) were also too extensive. I got tired of reading how to beat each part of the game. Although Fusion is unique because of this, I found it didn't help the game as much as Nintendo had intended.
I have to disagree. In my opinion, games that give you a good idea of where you have to go or what you have to do are far more fun. Metroid Prime 3 was easier than the other Metroid games, and getting around was much easier, so that was a thumbs up for me. Fusion, I knew everything I had to do, so it was easier to get through the game.

While I love the other games, convoluded as they are, I prefer simpler games. I hate not knowing where to go.

And speaking of which, can someone help me?

I need to find the stone head to drop in the Fuel Gel Cavern to destroy the debris that will clear the way to the bridge access so I can create the pathway. Can someone tell me how to get to the head? I got there before, and picked up the missile expansion. Now I completely forgot where it is. Directions pl0x.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:52 pm
Not knowing where to go or what to do is a great challenge. I'd rather have to figure something out than have my next goal (and how to do it) spelled out for me.

I know what you're talking about in Prime 3, but unfortunately, it would make no sense if I attempted to lay-out directions for you.

Perhaps this would help: http://guides.ign.com/guides/748547/  

Saiyan Master Vegeta

SHS_Smeth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 pm
You could ledge grap on Zero mission as well so it kinda was not borrowed the added it on the prime 3 along with going into morph ball from the ledge grab, and you got power ups from monsters in Prime 2 as well.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:31 am
SHS_Smeth
You could ledge grap on Zero mission as well so it kinda was not borrowed the added it on the prime 3 along with going into morph ball from the ledge grab, and you got power ups from monsters in Prime 2 as well.
Well I obviously knew Power Ups came from monsters, but what I'm saying is that in Fusion and Corruption power ups came from bosses that were corrupted monsters.  

-The Gray Legend-
Crew

Sakana_Izumi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:50 pm
I'd also like to add something about the Prime subseries. Dark Samus? Been there, done that. *Cough* SA-X *cough*  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:53 pm
Sakana_Izumi
I'd also like to add something about the Prime subseries. Dark Samus? Been there, done that. *Cough* SA-X *cough*

Prime 1 and Fusion were released at the same time, and they were both published by Nintendo. Neither game copied the other.

Mind you, Fusion comes last in the Metroid timeline. Prime 1 comes right after the original Metroid. If anything, the SA-X is a repeat of Dark Samus.  

Saiyan Master Vegeta

SHS_Smeth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:20 pm
Wii4Mii
SHS_Smeth
Well I obviously knew Power Ups came from monsters, but what I'm saying is that in Fusion and Corruption power ups came from bosses that were corrupted monsters.
ah, so whats wrong with working for your upgrades?  
The Official Metroid Guild Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games