Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elanchana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:19 pm
Look at them squirm like worms in mud,
Blaming a ghost who's flesh and blood.
Crossing the line, tossing the dice,
Making decisions and paying the price.

One of the best books of all time, in my opinion. It has not reached classic-hood, but I think it should someday.

Discuss.

If I were really a ghost, my dear,
I'd find a better Hell than here!
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Elanchana

One of the best books of all time, in my opinion. It has not reached classic-hood, but I think it should someday.

Discuss.

I believe this book is a classic...at least, it's listed on the "Border's Bookstore" Classic Books List.
I have yet to read it, but it's on my list of books to read before this time next year. smile
I've seen the musical on broadway twice, and am absolutely in love with the story. I'm so glad you've chosen to start a thread about it. I'm going to enjoy coming here to read what other people have written about it!  

turtles rock

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:44 am
I actually just bought this at Borders a few days ago. I can't decide whether or not I'm looking forward to reading it. I really enjoy the musical, but some books are so very different from what they're turned into for mass consumption. Just look at how estremely different Wicked the musical is from the book itself...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:16 am
Kali Eyad
I actually just bought this at Borders a few days ago. I can't decide whether or not I'm looking forward to reading it. I really enjoy the musical, but some books are so very different from what they're turned into for mass consumption. Just look at how estremely different Wicked the musical is from the book itself...

I've been looking for it at Border's!!!
They have those "Borders Classics" books.
I'm going to have to check it out again. Crap!  

turtles rock

Elanchana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Wow, this thread actually got a few posts!

Yeah, the book is really different from the musical. For one thing, the Phantom actually has a name: Erik. There's a whole new character called the Persian or the Daroga. And a bunch of smaller things that contribute to the overall... GREATNESS of the book. :3

Anyone want a "script" thing with the basic plot?
Click

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:12 am
I loved the book! I liked knowing the whole back story on how the Phantom got to be in the opera house in the first place and I think the book showed a little bit better just how mad he truly was. Does anybody really know how much of it is based on facts? I'll admit that the author's note threw me off a little.  

Annikaya

XxDolorosaxX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:57 am
It's an amazing book. It's nice to here his back story and goes part way to explaining why he is the way he is. Given the series of events in his life it's hard to blame him for how he turned out.  
Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games