Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims Guild
Houses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whose houses do you normally use?
  Mine!~
  Other users'
  Maxis's
View Results

breezahisakata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:47 pm
What houses do you normally use? I like making my own, but.. they usually don't turn out too well. sweatdrop Either they don't look good or realistic, or they're impractical. Takes the most time, too. They're made to fit the specific family, though, so you don't need to mess around with it once it's made as long as you plan ahead. Only problem is remembering to put it in the lots and houses bin if you want to keep the layout, and if there's a family already there you can't move the sims out to put it in the bin without losing all the furnishings.

A lot of the ones other people put online for download look nice, but many aren't really usable. Mainly for looks.. And they tend to have more custom content and/or more items, which makes for a longer loading time. They have the most inventive layouts, though. And there's already a copy in the lots and houses bin.

The maxis-made houses look nice, and have some pretty cool layouts themselves. They're usually made to be cheaper to live in, and most of the time the layouts are sensible. They're small, though, and you have to try to edit the house without ruining it if you get any extra additions to the family or anything. They stay in the lots and houses bin too, however.

For the most part I've tried making my own houses. Lately, though, I'm trying to use the maxis ones. The process of the prior's too tedious, I get sick of the house before the sims even move there. xp Besides furnishing, all you have to do to the maxis houses are knock down a wall or two.. So far I think I've ruined at least one house's design. The original's still in the bin, though, so... woohoo? ^^'
Anywho, what do you normally do for your houses? Make your own, use others'? Use the same basic template for all your houses, or make them each unique?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:25 am
Most of the time now I just use MAXIS houses although I will usually edit them before moving a Sim in just to tweak them a bit.
I have one street in a custom 'hood that I placed identicle MAXIS houses on but now that I have Sims in them they all look slightly different.

I always tend to build my own community lots from scratch though.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Mirmei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:53 am
I mostly download houses by other users and use them. I love to make houses myself but it's so slow and sometimes they start to look really ugly x_x But maxis has really good starterhouses wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:48 am
I like to make the small cottages or make nice cabins. My neighborhoods are more like a rundown neighborhood in the sims. Everyone's friends with everyone, it's peaceful. It's kind of like a housewives house. You know, the white pic nic fences, guarden infront, perfect white or pastel coloured panneling. I try not to make my houses 'rundown' type. And mostly I do'nt make the plan for the family, but the colour patters in the house match the famiy's needs and personalities. So that way, if that family dies out, all I have to do is creat another family and just re-colour the house and keep the layout.  

Sugarmuffincrumblecakes

Dapper Consumer

Kitties_at_the_disco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:37 am
i like making the houses myself, but i have downloaded one and used one that came with it  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 am
I enjoy making homes more than playing with my actual sims! I'll create a family, move them onto a lot, and spend forever making their house perfect, usually with tons of money cheats. Then when I start playing with the family, it's kinda like, "Oh, the fun's over now!" and move to another lot.

I usually make my own houses, but I do have a problem with below-ground parts because of the way the camera angle will spontaneously swing around funky to reach upper level areas instead. I'd ADORE a decent basement or crypt.

I really love downloaded houses, too. I like getting the really small cute ones that are very basically furnished, and only cost $20k or less, so anyone can move in. I go to modthesims2 to find the newbie houses. I just love exploring other gamers' homes! I always modify, of course, because sometimes it seems the most brilliant architects are the worst interior designers. sweatdrop blaugh

Fin Raziel

Sereniti Chane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:05 am
I use maxis. I'm to slow with building houses. When I build them they have to be perfect! sweatdrop blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:19 am
Well, if you wanna keep the furnishings and stuff, once you've moved out of the house just go back in & re-do it then put said house in the bin, it's easy. & I can't buil to save my life! I've tried to build the tutorial house, but I just can't seem to get it right. So I just use the pre-mades, which I edit to fit a certain family's needs.  

Kasumi_Uzumaki_Chan

MarianasLlama

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:52 pm
I usually build to fit the families needs, 'cause the MAXIS ones are always too small. Orm, if its a single mom or something, I will use the MAXIS ones razz  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:00 pm
I like making my own, or modifying the Maxis houses. When I make my own, I sometimes use real house plans, especially if I want to put a lot of planning into the family and all.

I don't like Maxis houses much. I hate their interior design, I hate the lack of space, etc. And I feel like, at least with pre-made families, the house was built just for the current family. Like, with the Goths... Mortimer, Alexander and Cassandra fit. Replace Cassandra's bed, and Don can fit too. But I brought back Bella, Cassandra moved out, and Bella and Morty have had 4 more kids. Kids that don't have any space for their own bedrooms. It'd be nice if I could expand the house, but the only way I can go is up.  

Evil Murklins
Vice Captain

Hello Soma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:13 am
I do a little bit of everything. When I'm pressed for time, I use Maxis or downloaded lots, though if I do the latter, I have to choose one that doesn't have CC or looks impractical. For my favorite families, I build the house myself. That way, I can make sure the house has all members' needs. smile

I suck at building community lots though. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:00 pm
i downloadd other ones =]  

` lil lebo chic

kagome_elric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:44 pm
I build my own houses most of the time, a few of my sims live in the starter houses by maxis, but ive never downloaded any houses.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 pm
I tend to make my own. And then get annoyed because it doesnt work properly so I use the Maxi ones. >.<

Emo Muffin Xo

marshmallowcreampie

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm
I build my own, to suit the family's needs, but they never look realistic...  
The Sims Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games