Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I got something

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 pm
Ooooh, isn't it cool? biggrin

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm so excited to start using it. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 pm
thats awesome cool,

and your gaiaversity is two days before my birthday
woa, I'm getting old  

I be me
Vice Captain

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:46 pm
oooooo... I'm jealous. Super jealous.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:48 am
woah neat!
my mom has one that looks very similar to that in our living room. 3nodding  

Rouwenne

Gallant Gaian

10,650 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Bookworm 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 am
Oh that is cool! It looks very similar to the one my mom has offered to me when I'm ready to learn to spin.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:26 am
... okay, now i'm jealous of all you guys who have moms who actually craft. xd My momma paints, so i don't really get alot of stuff from her. I wish we had a wheel in the living room...  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Silvander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:06 am
Where did you get your wheel?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:32 am
Ooooh, very cool!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:02 pm
I got one too! But mine isn't nearly so traditional looking. I got a Hitchhiker from The Merlin Tree. It's a pretty purple one. I have yet to learn how to use it, tho. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Oh, wow. *stares open mouthed with awe*
I have worked with home spun yarn before.
It was very interesting because the gal who did it did not learn how to spin evenly so the yarn was think and think at the same time.
So, while you learn to spin, spin evenly!  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am
Eventually, when I'm not burried under so much homework I can't breathe, I'm going to have to take a spinning class at the LYS. I can just image the looks on my classmates faces if I started bring a drop spindle and roving to class rather than my latest sweater!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:38 am
kochi~mochi
... okay, now i'm jealous of all you guys who have moms who actually craft. xd My momma paints, so i don't really get alot of stuff from her. I wish we had a wheel in the living room...

My mom hasn't used her spinning wheel in years and it's been in storage for at least five years now. I really need to work on my knitting skills before I start learning another craft and I actually have some of Mom's knitting needles because she hasn't knit in ages either.
She has said that I will inherit her collection of Workbasket magazines going back through the 40's, and the rest of her McCall's Needlework and Crafts, when she dies, so I can wait for those.
My grandmother also crafts so I'm carrying on a family tradition even if I'm having to learn everything for myself.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Rouwenne

Gallant Gaian

10,650 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Bookworm 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:02 pm
kochi~mochi

my mom doesn't craft too. XP I'm trying to get her to learn how to knit though.
our spinning wheel belonged to my great great great grandmother and is too old to use. its just in our livingroom as decoration. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Silvander
Where did you get your wheel?

The interwebs. I ordered from The Woolery.

sonicrunner: Easier said than done. While you can spin moderately consistently, handspun yarn by nature is imperfect, give that it's made by humans. If you want consistent yarn, buy commercial spun. I personally like the little quirks of handspun, and I'm not currently planning on spinning for anyone but myself.

I finally got around to trying it out tonight (damn school work), and it's a bit more difficult than I expected. I'm having trouble getting the drive band and brake band tensioned so that it puts a good amount of twist in the yarn without overtwisting and so that the bobbin takes up the yarn. I'm also having trouble with keeping the wheel going in the same direction. I guess I'm not treadling consistently or something. I'm not sure what else it could be.

I'm going to play some more tomorrow when I'm less tired. It's been a really long week for me.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items