Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Favorite Words Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have a favorite word?
  Yes I do actually.
  No I don't.
  I just can't decide between all the words in the dictionary!
View Results

Divine Toxicity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:57 pm
Do any of you have a favorite word? My favorite word changes every week. This week the word that I adore is, "melancholy."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:25 pm
One of my favorite words has to be onomatopoeia. It is just fun to say. 3nodding I also rather enjoy the word wonky just for kicks and giggles.  

Kororso

EdwardElric72

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:07 pm
My favorite word is computer. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:07 pm
My favorite word is ocho (yes it is 8 in spanish)!

Kelly1493

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:53 pm
I can never choose, and it's always changing. I like the words "symphony" and "moon" today. Yesterday, I liked "heart," "leaf," and "icy." I like the way the letters come together, I guess heart

Ha, Onomatopoeia xd I clap and burp and squeak at you. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
I can never choose, and it's always changing. I like the words "symphony" and "moon" today. Yesterday, I liked "heart," "leaf," and "icy." I like the way the letters come together, I guess heart

Ha, Onomatopoeia xd I clap and burp and squeak at you. xp

*snort* biggrin  

Kororso

Kelly1493

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:45 pm
My favorite word is now iPod because I want the new iPod nano. It so cool.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:09 pm
I like saturnine (gloomy) and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis (a lung disease contracted by inhaling fine silica dust).  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Chase Keyhole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:59 am
I love the word, SPECTACULAR! heart  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:41 pm
I like defenestrate (to throw someone/something out a window)

I have been fond of the word parsimonious (excessively cheap) in the past as well.

I also like the word that means "fear of long words," but I don't want to make an a** of myself trying to spill it out. I can't even pronounce it right. I just call it "Hippo-da-da-something-something-phobia." Maybe someone can be nice to me and give the pronunciation?  

Niccea Majeare

Kororso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm
Niccea Majeare

I have been fond of the word parsimonious (excessively cheap) in the past as well.

I also like the word that means "fear of long words," but I don't want to make an a** of myself trying to spill it out. I can't even pronounce it right. I just call it "Hippo-da-da-something-something-phobia." Maybe someone can be nice to me and give the pronunciation?

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, and yes its a mouthful. Hippo-poto-monstro-esquip-pedali-o-phobia. It is easier to say if you look at the different word parts and such.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:17 pm
Kororso
Niccea Majeare

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, and yes its a mouthful. Hippo-poto-monstro-esquip-pedali-o-phobia. It is easier to say if you look at the different word parts and such.

That isn't right. I think that's more of a prank than anything.
I mean, what does the fwear of long words have anything to do with horses?

Wikipedia
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia — fear of long words. Hippopoto- "big" due to its allusion to the Greek-derived word hippopotamus (though this is derived as hippo- "horse" compounded with potam-os "river", so originally meaning "river horse"; according to the Oxford English, hippopotamine has been construed as large since 1847, so this coinage is reasonable); -monstr- is from Latin words meaning "monstrous", -o- is a pseudo-Greek noun-compounding vowel; -sesquipedali- comes from "sesquipedalian" meaning a long word (literally "a foot and a half long" in Latin), -o- is a pseudo-Greek noun-compounding vowel, and -phobia means "fear"

Yep.  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:45 pm
Yes I know the word is used in sarcasm I had a friend translate it before, but it is still a fun word if you can ever use it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm
Doppelgaanger
I like saturnine (gloomy) and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis (a lung disease contracted by inhaling fine silica dust).

XD Darn, you took mine! xd  

Vyear

Kororso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:59 pm
Doppelgaanger
Kororso
Niccea Majeare

That isn't right. I think that's more of a prank than anything.
I mean, what does the fwear of long words have anything to do with horses?

Wikipedia
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia — fear of long words. Hippopoto- "big" due to its allusion to the Greek-derived word hippopotamus (though this is derived as hippo- "horse" compounded with potam-os "river", so originally meaning "river horse"; according to the Oxford English, hippopotamine has been construed as large since 1847, so this coinage is reasonable); -monstr- is from Latin words meaning "monstrous", -o- is a pseudo-Greek noun-compounding vowel; -sesquipedali- comes from "sesquipedalian" meaning a long word (literally "a foot and a half long" in Latin), -o- is a pseudo-Greek noun-compounding vowel, and -phobia means "fear"

Yep.

Probably true, though you have to consider the amount of things that start out as a practical joke and then end up to be considered true because too many people took the joke seriously.
Besides, it is more fun to use the word because it's so ironic. Not that there are many instances where that world will ever enter into normal conversation....Entertaining to try though...I now have a new goal for tomorrow!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff