Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
For the love of humanity, gouge out my ear drums!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Has this ever happened to you?
  Yes
  No
  I'mma literate poll whore. *ninjas around*
  That last choice wasn't literate... <-<;;
View Results

The Kitsune Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:17 pm
So there I was, riding the subway. I was minding my own business, listening to my MP3 player...and all of a sudden, this big group of girls walk onto the platform and enter the train. I didn't think anything of it, and went back to my music...but then, my MP3 player died, so I took it off, and put it in my purse. Then I realize that the girls are carrying on a conversation...in chatspeak. They're all like, "OMG, WTF?" and, "STFU, lol". They went on like that for the next 25 minutes. I wanted to take them all by their pretty blond hair, tie them all together, tie them to the end of the sub, and watch as they are scraped to death. =_= But then, they finally got off...and a little before the door closed, I shouted to them, "STFU and GTFO!" They all looked back at me, and then....the door closed. Crisis narrowly averted. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Nice....You're a brave one. ^.^

Though honestly, I would not have done the same. 3nodding  

Patron with a Mission

Zhiege

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:13 pm
I'm glad that didn't happen to me! I have anger problems. I probably would've started a fight. ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 pm
Normally I am one of reserved mindset...but in that case, I would have made a slight exception. I would have said, "Guess who's getting a dictionary for Christmas!!" very loudly. blaugh  

Titan_of_Fire59

sayaandtenshi

Friendly Conversationalist

5,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm
I've acctually done that to people at my school. They pissed me off and then my friend threw something at them...though I don't know why. They weren't happy but I laughed.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:00 pm
That's pretty bad. Words exist for a reason. Why are people talking with letters now? rolleyes  

Winter Nightroad

Newbie Entrepreneur

Vyear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:38 pm
...wow, I feel just a bit shocked at the level of stupidity some people can reach. On the other hand, I feel sorry for you too *pats*. I've never actually had something like that happen (phew) but I have had this one occasion where a fanfic I was reading had two people talking in l33t 5p43k XD I know it was meant to be funny, but spending twenty minutes deciphering two paragraphs is not funny. They weren't even long paragraphs either! sweatdrop But yeah, that's as close as I get to something like that...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:10 pm
I applaud you. You were amazing.  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 am
Gah! That is really scary. I had a friend who'd use "i-d-k" while talking, and I would refuse to speak to him for half the day after it. Anyhow, how can people hold verbal conversations in chatspeak? It is just so much easier to say what you really mean. Most of the abbreviations have just as many syllables as what they stand for: it is just as easy to say what you really mean than abbreviations. Right? Maybe, all this is a result of people using "txt tlk" too much while online. -shudders at the thought- The world is reaching the end.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:42 pm
I have two friends who do something like that, but I excuse them, since they're not from this country. One is from Russia, the other is from Japan. Something good for me, though, is that the one from Japan at least writes literately. They have the tendency to let 'lolz' slip, but then I threaten to buy them a dictionary for Christmas and they shut up.  

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:12 am
We should be like the people who give out copies of the Old Testament, except we'll give out free mini-dictionaries instead. And instead of saying "Give one to your friend, and share the good news!" we can be, like "Take eight and give one to everyone you see, and share the goodness of Grammar!"  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:44 pm
I hate to admit that my friends and I do that as well, but not seriously. We do it to make fun of people who do it. 3nodding  

egginaframe

Swell Sundae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:48 pm
I've had that happen to me by my robotics friends, but it's only because each of our meetings in the club doesn't have enough time for all 40-50+ members to get acquainted. sweatdrop We're strapped for time by A LOT.

Aside from that, I hate when people do that. (Unless they're strapped for time/are in a time crisis that involves something important to them.) It's not even necessary! gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:22 pm
Can they even understand each other, or do you suppose they eventually start throwing out random letter combinations so that they can sound like they're keeping up?  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Farrago

Proxy Codger

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:07 pm
Nicholas Kaze
Can they even understand each other, or do you suppose they eventually start throwing out random letter combinations so that they can sound like they're keeping up?

I would do that, too! ^^ I'd say something like this:

"OMFDYYNHDSTYESTKIOPWE... DCDSSDFHRYEW! JGDAPLDAJNIQQ?"

Of course, I don't have friends who do that, so it most likely won't happen to me.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games