Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
new sewing machine suggetions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

what is your favorite brand of sewing machine?
  Singer
  Simplicity
  doesnt matter
  international
  Brother
  Some other name i cant think of right this moment.
View Results

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:25 pm

well it is time for me to buy a new sewing machine and i was wondering to those who own or know something about it to post any suggestions or which one they like best. What i am looking for groups into importance (1 is highest)
-width and length changer so adjust how wide the zigzag will sew or how far btw the running stitch or others will sew as well.
-presser foot
-under $300-400
-able to sew through denim, heavy material( i wont be working on leather at least), and most importantly it should have stretch stitch for lycra/spandex, and also important a stitch or durable to sew though 2-4 layers of fur for a fursuit and such(those are the two things i am looking for mainly)
-maybe able to embodier freehand, no automated bc that will just be a hassle for me, with or without a foot attachment.
-cuff or extended table area support optional
-other footer attachments like able to do quilting items, but not necessary.
-surger capabilities?

any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:22 am
I have heard that White has a denim machine for about $200. I went to look for it about a year ago and didn't find it though.
Most sewing machines have stitch length and width adjusters, and most modern ones have a stretch stitch that looks kind of like the result of a serger.
I went to a sew and vac shop to look around. The owner asked what I was looking for so I gave him my "must have" list and told him how much money I was looking to spend. I had never used a brand new machine before so he insisted that I try a machine out. My dream machine is a bit out of my budget right now though.
If you're looking to buy a used machine I suggest a Singer, but make sure it's metal. I've been told that the metal Singers last forever but when they started making them out of plastic quality suffered.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:19 pm

yes i heard that the singer metal types are better and i rather use a crank or switches instead of those electric buttons, bc i am better with it that way xp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:57 pm

yea i found what i need i think i am goign to get this one after all: http://cyyeun.xepher.net/xen/manga/b01/006cyyeunxen

Kanhoro

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:22 pm
my suggestions are

1. don't buy the cheapest one
2. play with it before you buy
3. check for warentys and refunt policys before you buy it as you should any major purchace

and.... thats a comic  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:47 am
And watch for sales. My machine I have now was originally $800 but I got it for $450. I have a Viking. 3nodding  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

imaginary people

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:13 am
I'm been working and teaching on these machines for years and they're VERY durable (and easy to fix). It's no Husquvana but it'll serve you very very well. It even has an auto-threader and thread cutter. Look for the older model, maybe it'll be cheaper. The older model is essentially the same just without the speed adjuster (which is fine if you have good pedal control).

These machines can also go through denim as well as sew satin (just dont forget to change the needle and use the walking foot for the slippery fabrics.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:07 pm
Current model is a sears and I've had it forever
DH jokes that it should have been the same colour as the inside of the closet as it never comes out for mending his clothes.
Still have a circa 1940's Singer that still runs that does the best straight stitch

eeveetaro

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm
well i just bought a singer 7462 the only problem is that i need to go buy an embroidery foot and a overcast foot but i cant find the specific one for my machine is it considered a 7400 series? i saw a nice one for singer that cuts the edge whiel you sew a overcast or some other edging stich that it is a attachable in the joanne store online, i went to a superstore a few days ago and they said that it can only be bought online... T.T. the only thing i have been making is fingerless gloves so not much, planning to make a DIY tripp pants once i figure out about straps and stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 pm
I have a Husqvarna Huskystar 219. I love my machine! It was advertised as great for beginners and a machine that you can grow with. I have found both to be true. It's not any more expensive then what you're looking to spend and Husqvarna has a great reputation. Always go for quality when you are spending money on a tool you plan on using for a while. In the long run you save money. heart domokun heart

http://www.acesewvac.com/hus-husk219.html  

damnatio memoriae

Dapper Dabbler

12,625 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

loves_funeral_song

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 pm
This is probably going to sound really sad, but I have a Dressmaker II that I bought at K-Mart for $30. >_< I just started sewing, and as far as my skill level goes, it works pretty well. The only problem that I have with it is that there's not much room to do any big projects. I made a tote bag with it, though, and it would've come out better if I could keep my hands straight!

Hopefully, I'm going to be getting a new sewing machine for my Birthday. I'm going to be entering the local craft fair in October, and with a new machine, I'll be able to do a lot more.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games