Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Beginner Knitting Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:47 am

Next week I am starting a beginning knitting class. I've never knitted anything in my life so wish me luck. My question is this: the supply lists states I need size 8 knitting needles-are these sizes pretty standard? I have some needles that say 8 on the end, but they are pretty old (my grandma's). Do you think these will work, or should I just get some new ones.

Also, does it matter what yarn I use? As a beginner, I planned on getting some cheap yarn, but would that hurt my chances of being successful?

Thank you for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:00 am
Yes, the sizes are standard. Just that you need to know if you're using US or UK sized needles.
You can check the needle conversion chart for needle diameter if you want to be picky. US 8 & UK 8 are 1mm different only.

Cheap yarn is always good for beginners until you get the hang of it. And even after that, you still can use cheap yarn if you don't mind. I believe it's a personal choice. I started out using yarn that was $0.50 a skein...  

wynter_myst

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:03 am

Thank you for that information. I just have one more question. I noticed that the supply list shows that I need worsted weight, 4-ply yarn. I know that packages list the weight, but what about this 4-ply?

Thanks you again! I appreciate the help and hopefully I can share some knitting projects with everyone. heart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:27 am
4-ply yarn is when the yarn is made up of 4 strands twisted together.

No problem~  

wynter_myst

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:22 pm
I've always taught using US size 8 needles, and i used to use red heart classic, but i can't find that anymore. Caron perfect match is a good starter yarn, it is inexpensive and doesn't slip around, split or cling to itself too much.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:40 pm

Thank you both for you help!

KiwiDragon

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:04 am
My only suggestion for starers as far as yarn, is to try to find a yarn with at least 20% wool in it. wool helps the yarn slide over the needles. Beginners often cast on a stitch too tightly, and if the yarn doesn't slip a little it can be very frustrating to knit with. Lion Brand Wool Ease is cheap, easy to find, and a good choice to start with. Particularly if you are using old needles. I started off with 100% acrylic yarn on my grandmother's old aluminium needles, and it was very difficult to tome the loops as a knit them - they stuck to the needles >.<

After you knit a bit and figure out how to keep your tension loose, you can pretty much knit with any yarn you want to, from Red Heart Super Saver to Debbie Bliss Casmerino

The plys don't really affect the gauge (how big the knitting is), but they do affect how the piece looks when finished. 4 ply is pretty common for worsted weight yarn.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 am
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll be going out for my supplies this weekend, so I guess I'll look for that yarn. My grandma's needles don't look like they have ever been used, so I think I'll stick with them for now.  

KiwiDragon

Rune and Raccoon

Questionable Cutesmasher

12,750 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:54 pm
Good luck! You should start a knit blog! Those are always fun...plus I am trying to find more friends with knit blogs!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:53 pm
Well, I guess I was just a little over excited. It doesn't start Monday, but the NEXT Monday. Oh well-I can still get prepared with the tips I got here.

I have a rather lame craft blog (that I put in the craft blog topic someone started) so maybe I'll actually have something to post in it soon!

KiwiDragon

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
crying
I have such horrible luck. I finally am able to find a knitting class that fits in my with work and school schedule and I get a call on Friday telling me the class is canceled. I'm doomed!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:59 pm
Awwwwww! That sucks!

Well, we can't be there to show you, but we can offer resources. KnittingHelp.com is a great site, since it offers videos for just about everything.

KnitPicks Knitting Room has some good stuff too.

Stitch 'n b***h by Debbie Stoller is a great book to learn from. See if you can get it at your library to see if you like it.

Also, if you go into your Local Yarn Store when it's slow, you may be able to ask an employee (or maybe even a customer!) for some help. It depends on the store, really.  

AriRashkae

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff