Your New Ska Guild Captain

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:48 pm
Hello everybody, and welcome to The Original Gaia Ska Guild!!!!

As you read, 5ubliminalM355ag35 resigned his title due to being busy in College.

Well I am now your new Captain, and I would just like to tell you a little about myself and how the guild is going to be ran from now on smile

I'm Scott. I am a 16 year old who has been on Gaia for just over 3 years now. I am from Arizona, and I play trombone ( quite well if i do say so myself xp ) for my highschool's jazz, marching, and symphonic band.
Sadly, I have yet to find a good group of ska fans willing to make a band.

I have been listening to ska for about 6 years. My first "ska experience" was Goldfinger's song "Superman" on the Tony Hawk Pro Skater sound track. I fell in love with the upbeat tempo and the horns. About 2 months later, I heard Keasby Nights by Catch22 on the local punk radio station, and I started to listen to more stuff.

When I was 14, I was deeply submerged into the ska scene, listening and loving all the cool 3rd wave bands.

At that age, I started to get really bored with 3rd wave ska, and an old friend told me that I should go back into the roots of ska and see if I like it.

I am now a VERY deep lover of traditional ska/reggae/rocksteady/calypso/and rock n' roll.

I know a LOT about ska, and I love finding new people who are just starting to get into this wonderful genre and help them find good bands and just help them out.

I am on Gaia ALOT on my free time, so if you EVER have a question, just PM me, and I will get back to you as soon as I can smile

And if you are curious, this is what I look like:
User Image
*thats me and my wonderful girlfriend Kaya, who is also into ska but isn't on Gaia*

And I plan to keep this guild very friendly and mellow, the way it should be run.
My BIG rule is RESPECT EVERYBODY IN THE GUILD NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS MAYBE

Like I said, if you guys ever have any questions, comments, ideas, rants, ANYTHING, feel more than welcome to send me a PM

Stay rude,
Scott  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Here is a nice big list of some of my favorite ska/reggae/skinhead reggae artists ( in alphabetical order from my iTunes)

The Aggrolites
Alton Ellis
Ansel Collins
Baba Brooks
Bad Manners
The Beat
The Bleechers
The Bodysnatchers
The Boover Boys
Catch 22
The Chords
Claudette Miller
Dandy Livingstone
Dave Barker
Dawn Penn
Delroy Wilson
Dennis Alcapone
Derrick Harriot
Derrick Morgan
Desmond Dekker
Dobby Dobson
Don Drummond
Errol Dunkley
Freddie McKay
General Rudie
The Gladiators
Hepcat
The Heptones
The Hippy Boys
Jackie Mittoo
The Jamaicans
John Holt
Joya Landis
Justin Hinds and The Dominoes
Keith and Tex
Ken Parker
Laurel Aitken
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Leroy Scribbles
Let's Go Bowling
Lloyd Charmers
Lord Tanamo
Madness
Mar-Keys
Marcia Griffiths
Max Romeo
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Millie Jackson
The Mohawks
Monty Morris
Mr. Review
New York Ska Jazz Ensemble
Nora Dean
The Paragons
Pepper
Phyllis Dillon
The Pietasters
The Planetsmashers
Prince Buster
Roland Alphonso
Save Ferris
The Selector
The Sensations
Shenley Duffus
Ska-P
The Skatalites
Skavoovie and The Eptiones
Skinnerbox
THE SLACKERS ( sorry, they are probably my favorite band)
The Specials
Stranger Cole
Symarip
Techniques
The Tenors
The Toasters
Tommy McCook
Toots and The Maytals
The Trojans
The Upsetters
Val Bennet and his Orchestra
The Visions
Westbound Train

I am probably missing a BUNCH of them, but thats all the main stuff I listen to, though I have MUCH more smile  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Jcake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:11 pm
The Aggrolites........I weep for David Fuentes crying . Glad someone else loves them too.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm
Jcake
The Aggrolites........I weep for David Fuentes crying . Glad someone else loves them too.

Dave is from the band Hepcat. He was their bass player. The Aggrolites were just playing a show in respect of him.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Jcake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:47 pm
Oh, I know that. Still weeping though. Do you know how he died? Cus I got no info on that.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 pm
King Of The Ska
Jcake

Dave is from the band Hepcat. He was their bass player. The Aggrolites were just playing a show in respect of him.

crying So sad he passed away  

Frankenska

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Jcake
Oh, I know that. Still weeping though. Do you know how he died? Cus I got no info on that.

No, I don't believe they released the info on the cause of his death.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:20 am
*copies list*
Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard of some of these bands.  

Suicide de saint

SkaBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:13 pm
What of Arizona are you from? I thought you lived in New York.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Wow, I think it's time I update this a bit.

My name is Scott, I'm 18 years old, and I'm a full time student in Chandler, Arizona. I play jazz trombone on my free time.

I mainly listen to traditional Jamaican ska and reggae, with some American soul/jazz ska thrown in (a.k.a The Slackers, Westbound Train, Deals Gone Bad, The New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble, etc etc)

I'm also a huge jazz buff. I listen to a lot of bebop and classic jazz.

I still know a lot about ska, I've been listening to it for way to long now razz

If you have questions, I'm honestly never on this site anymore, but all of you are more than welcome to email me at: ohshitohshitohshit@yahoo.com

Oh, and my most recent hobby is home-brewing. I've been making my own beer for 2 years now, and it's amazing. I plan to transfer to Oregon State University next year to major in their Fermentation Science program. The picture is me drinking my Oktoberfest Lager out of a liter mug.

User Image  

King Of The Ska
Captain

eUAjwe4K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm
It seems like all the cool ska fans are from in or around Arizona. I guess its a western thing now. My mom moved there a couple years ago and I'm always going to a ska show every weekend. Usually its the Two Tone Lizard Kings but I love it down there! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:19 pm
kay_tee0120
It seems like all the cool ska fans are from in or around Arizona. I guess its a western thing now. My mom moved there a couple years ago and I'm always going to a ska show every weekend. Usually its the Two Tone Lizard Kings but I love it down there! heart

The Two Tone Lizards Kings have improved so much over the year.
The first time I saw them, they were horrible.
But I saw them again about a year ago, and they played a great show.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces