Reply Super Smash Bros. Guild
Is this a known technique?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm
So, since I first started playing melee, I've always done this technique for up smashing. I can't remember reading about it anywhere, or seeing it in any videos. I could be forgetting something, or it could be a technique that's very well known (so much so that no one talks about it). Well, let me explain it.

It's basically a running up smash. It's easy to do with Link but can be done with anyone (I believe). All you do is as you're running towards your opponent, slide the analog stick up (quickly) and right as it reaches the up position, press A (at the same time as it reaches the up position). The end result should be that your character will sort of continue to slide forward a bit while in the up smash animation. It's kind of like a wavedash effect, since you don't need to stop moving (minus the lag of the up smash animation, of course).

Well, this could be a noob moment on my part, but I would like to know if this is a well known technique.

[Edit] - Oh, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I figured that no one would read the techniques forum, but you can move it if you like.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:00 pm
I dont know if it's well known either but i've done that a lot with Link, it pisses my friend's off.  

XPRikuXP

Amazing-Ness287
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:06 pm
i can honestly say i've never done that with link.

when i use him, i'm more of an "annoy your apponent with bombs and boomerage" type xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:19 pm
i ca5tch many people with that using sheiks up and a  

Chaotic_Crisis

Talwar126

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:15 pm
Amazing-Ness287
i can honestly say i've never done that with link.

when i use him, i'm more of an "annoy your apponent with bombs and boomerage" type xd

I officially hate you... XD

My friend does that. He just stays as far away as possible and does everything in his power to chip away at my health. His match usually goes something like this...

Quote:
Arrow, Arrow, Boomerang, Arrow, Bomb, Boomerang, Arrow, Arrow, Arrow, Boomerang, Bomb... *Opponent gets close to him*... Slash, Scamper away, Start the cycle again.

Additional Note: If he sees you staying glued to the floor, he opts to hop around and Sword Plant you.

I, on the other hand, often play him more like a Roy-clone. I run around short-hopping and either slashing or sword planting my opponent.

This Sliding-Up Slash technique is something that I use, unintentionally, during the game's flow. Most often with Luigi, while I'm trying to juggle. I didn't really notice it, though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll be sure to use it more often. ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:40 pm
I too can honestly say I've never done that technique. I honestly should try it though.  

General Lea

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150

Amazing-Ness287
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:45 pm
Talwar126
stuff

hahah mrgreen I've played around with being a really offensive link, but it just doesn't work most of the time. I feel like a total badass when I do it, but I just can't stay alive if I do that.

Well, it depend's who I'm playing against, really. Most of the time, I'm playing against my friend, who plays ganon, and I really can't afford to stay close to him, so I learned to use Link's projectiles to my advantage. It also doesn't hurt that my friend tries to catch any bombs I throw at him - the downside to that is that he's actually gotten good at that now eek the next thing he's trying to learn is reflecting samus' shots with his shield a la lvl.9 computers O_O

if im playing any other character, I will go ahead and play offensively with my Link.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:46 pm
OMG I've seen people do that and always wondered how xD
Now I know how o.o  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:46 am
Talwar126
This Sliding-Up Slash technique is something that I use, unintentionally, during the game's flow. Most often with Luigi, while I'm trying to juggle. I didn't really notice it, though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll be sure to use it more often. ^_^

Same... I've never done it on purpose, only by accident...
It could be useful, but I'm too lazy to implement it into my strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am
Amazing-Ness287
Talwar126
stuff

hahah mrgreen I've played around with being a really offensive link, but it just doesn't work most of the time. I feel like a total badass when I do it, but I just can't stay alive if I do that.

Well, it depend's who I'm playing against, really. Most of the time, I'm playing against my friend, who plays ganon, and I really can't afford to stay close to him, so I learned to use Link's projectiles to my advantage. It also doesn't hurt that my friend tries to catch any I throw at him - the downside to that is that he's actually gotten good at that now eek the next thing he's trying to learn is reflecting samus' shots with his shield a la lvl.9 computers O_O

if im playing any other character, I will go ahead and play offensively with my Link.

Links need to be far away if they wanna take on a Ganon. Too much Triforce of Power... or not enough...? twisted  

Einherjar O D I N
Crew

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:00 pm
So is this a technique that's already written on paper, so to speak?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:58 pm
Well-documented technique. It's a JC U-smash. Works the same way a JC grab does. Fox players do it all the time, though it might be hard to tell the difference between a JC U-smash and a CC U-smash.

Other things you might want to try in case this JC business is new to you is up-B/U-smash out of shield. Although you probably already knew that one.  

Sio

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 am
Sio
Well-documented technique. It's a JC U-smash. Works the same way a JC grab does. Fox players do it all the time, though it might be hard to tell the difference between a JC U-smash and a CC U-smash.

Other things you might want to try in case this JC business is new to you is up-B/U-smash out of shield. Although you probably already knew that one.

Well, I never really thought of this as a jump cancel (I assume you mean jump canceling)... because there isn't really any jumping involved, but if you say so xp It looks a little different than a JC. At least when I JC, there's a split second where you can see the character kind of crouching (IE the first frame or two of the jumping animation).

And yes, I'm very familiar with my JCs, CCs, and pretty much every other intermediate to advanced technique. Up-B out of a shield is pretty useless for me, I play Ice Climbers. If I'm shielding, a shield grab is almost always the better choice over an up-smash. I guess there are moments where I'll up-smash out of the shield, but it's hard to pass up a chain grab when you play Ice Climbers (or a wobble... gotta love wobbling).

[Edit] - I guess you're right, it is just a JC up-smash. I suppose I'm just not used to it being done that way, so I assumed it was something else. Well, thanks for the help anyway. 3nodding  
Super Smash Bros. Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games