Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
Where Do I Start?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Money
  4 u
View Results

X Maxn X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 pm
Okay..I'm a pagan...I have no clue what subclass i would be in because i'm tottaly new to this. But i've finaly found my religion...anyways..I need a teacher...somebody who can help me out...where I should begin first and what i should do everyday. I do belive in Magyk so it would be nice to have somebody who could teach me that over the internet too. Thanks guys.

If possible PM me so I don't have to keep finding the thread and stuff...it would be very helpful.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Firstly, knowing some basics about terminology is important.

Technically speaking, we're all NEOpagans, or 'new/modern' Pagans. Most Neopagans drop the prefix when speaking of themselves as it is generally understood that they are refering to modern practitioners and reconstructionalists, not the older original practices.

Also, be careful how you spell the term magic. M-A-G-I-C is the proper spelling. An alternate, widely accepted spelling adds a 'k' on the end, a variation that was popularized by Crowley to distinguish spellcraft magic from stage magic. Different people have different feelings on that particular spelling variant, but by and large it's accepted. But 'magyk?' That sort of spelling is going to get you eye rolls, accusations of fluffiness, and statements like 'oh my Gods, this guy is a total noob.'

I might be willing to spend some time guiding you on the basics, but honestly, the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Read everything you can get your hands on, and also have good research skills so you know how to discern a good source from a bad one on any given topic. Sometimes academic citation is important, sometimes it isn't. A starter book in Neopaganism that I recommend above all else is Joyce and River Higginbotham's "Neopaganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religion." I highly suggest you support the authors by buying it, but you can also view sections of the work here.  

Starlock
Crew

Jezehbelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Starlock

I might be willing to spend some time guiding you on the basics, but honestly, the best thing you can do is research, research, research. Read everything you can get your hands on, and also have good research skills so you know how to discern a good source from a bad one on any given topic. Sometimes academic citation is important, sometimes it isn't. A starter book in Neopaganism that I recommend above all else is Joyce and River Higginbotham's "Neopaganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religion." I highly suggest you support the authors by buying it, but you can also view sections of the work here.
jezehbelle last night
... It's best to just research, research, research.

Paganism by Joyce and River Higgenbotham is a really good book if you're new, it even describes the different paths.
I sent him that in a PM last night and that is just too funny.

I'm going to get that book tattoo'd to myself someday. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:40 am
eek Funny? Almost creepy. Are you reading my mind or something? (laughs)  

Starlock
Crew

The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games