Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Txt Tlk" Being Used Audibly Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 am
I had the unfortunate experience of listening to an older teenaged female at a public transit center 'talking'. Though, she may have very well been intoxicated, but I do not let that excuse her for what she said, repeatedly.

"OMG, oh my God!"
"WTF, what the ******** was bad enough that I had to hear 'txt' speak used out loud, but even worse that she felt the need to repeat herself. Also, her voice was loud, high pitched, slightly slurred, and stereotypical of what a 'txt tlker' would sound like.

Anybody else experience this sort of misfortune?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:55 am
My best friend last night said to me "ILY TTFN" Translating as "I love you, ta ta for now." I couldn't help but roll my eyes.  

Naturally-Obsessive

Silvermaiden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:29 am
Okay, you have to admit there are SOME exceptions here. Some of it is used humorously, and there are those of us who've used certain things even BEFORE it became known as "txt talk".

Examples:

BYOB- Bring Your own Beer/Booze. Used very often for social gatherings.

MYOB- Mind Your Own Business. C'mon, how many of us have used this when we were younger? I know some teens and adults who still use it.

TTFN- Ta Ta For Now. I first heard this watching Winnie the Pooh. It's one of Tigger's (my fave character) catch phrases, and I use it at times.

BFF- Best Friends Forever. I know alot of us (especially the girls) have used this between friends more than once in our lives while growing up.

See, there are some acronyms that people use aloud without any thought to it being "txt talk". Most were used before chatspeak ever truly existed. I think some exceptions are allowed, personally.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 am
Yes, I hate it when "txt-tlk" is used in real life. I've actually heard people say "irl" and "lol" o.o
If it's funny, LAUGH! Don't just say "lol"!! People are really lazy =/  

Igdra

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:11 pm
BYOB has been around for a while, though... I tend to excuse the older text talk a bit more easily than the newer stuff. The ILY/ILU thing drives me crazy, though, because it further makes the words "i love you" mean less, and if you truly love someone, you should be able to take the time out to at least type of the damn words!!! Grrr!!!

I think I've said this in another thread somewhere, but I don't really mind "brb" and "ttyl." "lol" is somewhat bearable as is "gg." The newer things that I've heard like, "imo" bother me a bit more. I know it's still been around for a few years...maybe in another five years, I'll finally stop being so bothered by it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 am
Yeah, although it differs from person to person, I think there are a few exceptions for acronyms as well. It's more or less an opinionated thing about what people can tolerate to hear out loud before giving an eye-roll or thinking something negative about the speaker. I'm not going to go ape or get defensive if someone calls me their 'BF' or says 'TTFN' when leaving. I'm fine with it, and in most cases, I won't automatically categorize it as 'txt' speak. ^_^

I was just a little irked with that girl from the transit station, especially since she translated her acronmys right after saying them, thus, repeating herself. Normally it wouldn't have bothered me, but she was loud!

I have a few friends that throw in a 'txt' every once in a while into their conversation. Usually it's in a joking manner, almost mocking. Instead of saying each letter of the acronym, they'll actually say it how it looks, such as "Burb" for 'brb'. I find it highly amusing.  

Keren

-Ever Clever-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:47 pm
Yes and I take amusement in mocking these people through conversation.

Person: Oh Em Gee! No wai!
Me: Double you Tee Eff, mate, yes wai!
Person: Are you lyke, making fun of me?
Me: Of course not, why would I do that?

Then you walk away. Five minutes later. "HEY!!!"
You go "Oh noes, she figured it out. Run!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:49 pm
R y 0 t
Yes and I take amusement in mocking these people through conversation.

Person: Oh Em Gee! No wai!
Me: Double you Tee Eff, mate, yes wai!
Person: Are you lyke, making fun of me?
Me: Of course not, why would I do that?

Then you walk away. Five minutes later. "HEY!!!"
You go "Oh noes, she figured it out. Run!"
Heheh... I just did that to my sister... she fell for it perfectly.  

davids_buddy_type_thing

Jacked in the Box II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:35 pm
BYOB is the only text talk I can tolerate. I have used it myself once or twice. As an added bonus it's the name of a kickass System of a Down song.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:05 pm
User ImageHeh heh. Actually, I say "Luls" out loud on occasion. It's not like it's a habit or anything. I usually only do that when I'm trying to be a smart a**, or something. -shrugs-

But yeah, I like mocking people who do it to more extent and on a daily basis as well. Because, "WHY TEH FECK ARE THEY DOING THAT N E WAIZ".

You know, text talking is going to become a new popular thing. And I blame that damn cellular phone commercial for it. You know the, "IDK MY BFF JILL" sort of thing.

-sigh- :]

tetrasmaster

Lunar Faerie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:28 pm
One of my friends likes to say "IDK" all the time. I die a little inside each time I hear it. mad  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:34 am
Text talk doesn't drive me crazy anymore... it just comes in through an ear and out from another ear! But I'd rather use text talk than swear... I'm not pretty confident with profanity yet...  

Shikaeii

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:38 pm
I must admit, I am guilty of using WTF sometimes when I speak. But other than that, I rarely use it. I think I did use this once, "OMG WTF BBQ" mocking one of my gamer friends, it's fun. ^_^;  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:01 pm
Ugh yes. At my school, the "words" "lol" "jk" "idk" I quiet frequently uttered. There is nothing the bothers me more. It makes me want to bang my head into a wall every time someone says it OUT LOUD.  

Termisu

Xailyne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:56 pm
For a while, there was the fad of saying "Bee tee dub" (btw) all the time at my school. It always plucked a nerve, because not only was it txt speak used in conversation, but they didn't even have the decency to say "double u."  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff