Lady Bern

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 am
Quote:
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- After an outbreak of pregnancies among middle school girls, education officials in this city have decided to allow a school health center to make birth control pills available to girls as young as 11.

King Middle School will become the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available, including birth control pills and patches. Condoms have been available at King's health center since 2000.
Students need parental permission to access the school's health center. But treatment is confidential under state law, which allows the students to decide whether to inform their parents about the services they receive.
There are no national figures on how many middle schools provide such services. Most middle schoolers range in age from 11 to 13.

"It's very rare that middle schools do this," said Divya Mohan, a spokeswoman for the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care.
Portland's three middle schools reported 17 pregnancies during the last four years, not counting miscarriages or terminated pregnancies that weren't reported to the school nurse.

The Portland School Committee approved the plan, offered by city health officials, on a 7-2 vote Wednesday night. Whether the prescriptions would be offered this school year or next wasn't immediately clear.

King is the only one of the three schools with a health center, primarily because it has more students who get free or reduced-price lunch, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland's student health centers.

Five of the 134 students who visited King's health center during the 2006-07 school year reported having sexual intercourse, said Amanda Rowe, lead nurse in Portland's school health centers.

Committee member Sarah Thompson, also the mother of a King eighth-grader, supported the policy, even though it made her "uncomfortable."

Now I don't know about the rest of you but during those years I wasn't even thinking about sex. I knew of it and all but still. The thought of 11 year olds is just so disturbing to me.

So lets discuss when is it too young to be having sex? What should the age be?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:05 pm
i think its disgusting for 11yr olds to be having sex...my little sister is 11 and like thats just weird because she seems too young...x.x

A lot of people have sex though...like this one girl at work was talking about this boy and she said he was weird because he is a virgin and he is like 16-17? i am like uhhh no? x.x?? And i am a freshmen in college and this guy his roomate has sex with a different girl like every night...then my friends friend is all sexually active and stuff....i still think i am too young ^^  

22Tsuji22

Lady Bern

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:46 am
I felt more weird that everyone around me was losing their virginity as if it was a competition. I saw pregnant girls all of the time while I was in highschool and as common as it is now that was just so taboo for me then. To know that it is such a be concern in middle school just baffles me.

In middle school I knew of sex from sex ED then but I didn't really know. But the excuse I got for why so many kids in my neighborhood had sex was because we lived in the middle of nowhere and if you didn't have a car to go to the city for fun then sex was all that there was to do. Sad I know.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:27 pm
That's not an excuse for the people in my area, there is stuff to do...but everyone would rather go get drunk, or high and have sex and forget what the hell the did that night...then just go out somewhere. People are crazy...people think i am crazy since i've never been drunk i am like uhh...alcohol taste really nasty? Although i was talking to this kid in my english class and he was like you can taste it once you finish your first can of it...i was like uhh you know how long it takes me just to drink a can of mt. dew? lol xD

i am afraid of the future being in the hands of this generation ninja  

22Tsuji22

Lady Bern

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:16 am
I can tell by the smell of it that I don't like most alcohols. I might be able to handle rum and some sweet champanges or sparkling wines, but alcoholism is a trait that runs through my family on both sides. I think I know better then to drink or get high.

But to some extent I place some of the blame on parents. I realize I didn't learn about sex from my mom but from school, and in school I didn't get the speech to wait, I got the speech on how to be careful for STDs.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:06 am
Yeah parents are kind of to blame for how the kids turn out...also your neighborhood...I didn't get the sex talk from my parents but from school...but i just figured hey common knowledge not to go and have sex with everyone...

My parents let me take sips of the wines and stuff i usually drink a little then run over to the faucet to wash my tongue off ^^;....like my dad had got this liquoir? stuff i think and put in in pop/soda and my parents called me upstairs to try this drink...i was like what is in there?! they smile and say nothing >_> some parents lol i took a sip and ran to the sink to spit it out...they said it should taste like cherry coke...I was like what parent tells their child to drink a drink with alcohol in it! lol

The sex thing i never really thought about because i know if i got pregnant my dad would kill me or kill the guy x.x

I think parents that are really strict with their kids actually seem to have kids that are more rebelious....like my parents gave me a lot of freedom...but like not too much and stuff...so i never had the need to go and be all rebelly...but there are also the parents who just dont give about their kids and they dont know right from wrong...or want to get there parents attention

(the only alcohol i like is Smirnoffs and Mikes Hard Lemonade ^^;;;..but i only take sips from my mommy)  

22Tsuji22

Gunr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:27 pm
0_0 Eleven. Seriously. That's just wrong. Wrong. I mean, come on. I'm eighteen, and I still haven't, nor do I particularly want to right now. As for drinking, it seems to be all the rage for teenagers in my town, not to mention illegal drugs (although alcohol is too, until age 21). What is the deal with kids these days? Why would anybody want to get drunk or stoned? It's like "Dude, I'm gonna get so wasted this weekend," and I'm thinking "WTF. Aren't you stupid enough when you're not crunk?"  
Debates and serious discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games