Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Yarn disasters Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

S. Shark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:21 pm
My dog ruined a skein of Rowan Kidsilk Haze ($14 a skein, first expensive fancy yarn I've bought.) I was out of the room for a few minutes to look at my brother's hermit crabs. Came back and he'd make a mess of the thing, all knotted and torn... If I tried to knit the project (Silk Sleeves from One Skein) with it, there'd be ten ends to weave in per sleeve. crying

Has anyone else suffered a yarn disaster?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:45 pm
My heart hurts for you.  

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Ouch, that really sucks.

I've managed to avoid disasters, i knit with crap yarn at my friend's house till i'd trained her kitties not to chew. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:50 pm
XD that sounds great kochi-mochi! My cat's don't chew on it so much and watch the tail yarn jiggle and then grabs it with their paws, and sometimes bring it to their mouths but never really slobber or eat it.  

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500

tulokyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:33 pm
Oh my, I am so sorry. KSH is so nice, too.

If it helps at all, asuuming you can get it untangled (and good luck, I might add, with all that mohair), KSH is so fluffy that you can usually just carry two strands along (the old and the new) for a a few stitches, and drop the ends. You can cut them short when the project's done, and then yarn is so grabby and fuzzy that you'd be hard pressed to find the ends without intensive searching.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:06 pm
My cats end up felting the wool by chewing and sucking on it. It is noticeable (to a knitter) once knitted with but I try to not look at it.  

Rune and Raccoon

Questionable Cutesmasher

12,750 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:06 pm
I'm stunned at how good my cats are with my yarns and needles. The older cat has been with me a while, so she's used to my knitting and knows not to eat the needles and yarn. I fully expected the new cat I adopted earlier this year to be a problem when it came to knitting and especially spinning with a drop spindle. He's done surprisingly well with it, though. I'm actually comfortable leaving my projects out and about without any worry of him messing around with it. I've only had to correct him once or twice for playing with the singles when I was plying on a drop spindle. Now I use my wheel, and it doesn't matter so much.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:56 pm
The worst I have had was mice got into my attic and destroyed five balls of sport weight Alpaca *sniffs*  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

S. Shark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:52 am
tulokyn
Oh my, I am so sorry. KSH is so nice, too.

If it helps at all, asuuming you can get it untangled (and good luck, I might add, with all that mohair), KSH is so fluffy that you can usually just carry two strands along (the old and the new) for a a few stitches, and drop the ends. You can cut them short when the project's done, and then yarn is so grabby and fuzzy that you'd be hard pressed to find the ends without intensive searching.
Ugh, I tried, but not only was it tangled, it was torn. Everywhere. Like every ten yards. Stupid dog and his sharp toes and teeth. xp I'm starting to think he likes anything made of animal fiber... he's tried to eat my wool/acrylic armwarmers, wool hat, and aplaca yarn now, too.

I shall remember that! I don't think it work for the silk sleeves pattern, because it's very airy (knit on size tens, I think), but if I knit with it in the future...

YourAzureGoddess
The worst I have had was mice got into my attic and destroyed five balls of sport weight Alpaca *sniffs*

That's terrible! gonk You need a hunter kitty. It'll eat all your mice for you and provide endless hours of amusement as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:26 pm
I had a purse sitting around, waiting for the strap to be finished, and my cat puked on it. Thank god it's acrylic - I was able to just throw it in the washer.  

ladyleprechaun13

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 pm
The cat is surprisingly well behaved. Omce in a while, if there's a long trail from ball to hand, he'll catch and chew. Usually, he doesn't care.

The 2 year old on the other hand ... stare blaugh

One of these days I'll manage to catch a pic of him with my hot pink size 15s xd  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:59 am
i usually end up mangling my own ayrn no matter what type it is or what project that i am attempting.

ps. AriRashkae, i love your cat sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

ElizabethRose311

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:58 am
I feel so bad for all of you! Almost makes me glad to say the worst I really have had is streteched out yarn and when the skein of yarn spews out a wad of yarn.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 am
My sister put my yarn and current project in a bag with a velcro fasten. Velcro and yarn don't play together well. D: Luckily it hit the yarn and not my project.  

ShinobiRedScarf

Safiya_Ai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:46 pm
My yarn disaster was some hand died yarn from the local yarn shop in town. I was babysitting, got up to get my scissors and came back to find the little girl jumping around with my yarn. I had to hand roll it up into a ball which hours to detangle the knots.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff