Welcome to Gaia! ::

Drawing a Day Guild! Improve Your Drawing!

Back to Guilds

Reply Drawing a Day Guild
Realistic Drawings??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Father Benny Cake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:48 am
Can anyone give me any tips on how to draw realistic pencil drawings. A very small bunch of my drawings are on my profile. Any help is MUCH appreciated!! thank u!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:43 pm
Well judging by your profile drawings, I'd say you have a good start!

One thing I noticed is that a lot of your shadows are the same gray (that may be the scan quality, I'm not sure); but try really pushing your dark shadows to set them off from the lighter tones. Think dynamic, and experiment by going overboard! This will help set chins apart from necks, foreshortening, and so forth.

If you're drawing from a colored picture, convert it to grayscale and you'll see how many different shades there are, and that might help. If you have access to a photoshop-like program, you can up the contrast which will help show you where the darks need to go and where the lights need to go. But push those darks! (It's always helped me, anyways.) You're also doing a good job keeping away from smudging! A lot of artists find it tempting but you have less control over your shadows once you start taking a blending stump to your drawings.

If there is anything else specifically about your realistic drawings you're having trouble with, let me know, I'll try to help as best as I can.

I hope this is helpful, and show us how you're doing heart  

little pui

Kangaroo S.T.U.
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:19 pm
Little Pui's got TONS of really good advice there

3nodding really mull over what they're saying  
Drawing a Day Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers