Quote:

User Image

The salty wind worked its fingers into his mane. Each touch was like ice, stabbing through his system, cutting in deep and adding to the bleeding of his heart. Today, the love for the water spraying onto his wave-marked paws or the foam flecks sticking to his fur was diluted, bittered by the paw he could still see vanishing down into the depths.

Over the past seasons, he had buried them all one by one, each sinking slowly into the abyss and darkening that place in Hadithi's heart until it had grown so black and hard he thought it might break. All of them... save one. He could hear her, singing on the shore, if he concentrated; soon the wind snatched the sound away so that Hadithi thought it might take her away from him as well. The lion's pale eyes, so bright in his mutely coloured face, closed against the sadness that welled inside of him.

Today they had found Mchezaji dead, and with him went his grandson's hope of restoring his family's pride.

"I'm not ready to lead," Hadithi whispered to the Ocean. It always listened to him, guided him, but today--for the first time in his memory--he could not hear its voice. "I don't know what to do! We cannot leave you; leave them! ... but if we do not, we will die here and your ways with us."

The lion shook his head, the confusion and sadness too much. Never in his life had he mourned a death--not even when the plague had taken his mother and father in the night. Never had he mourned when he had sunk his cousins and uncles and siblings... but now. It was just too much. "We're not ready to be alone."

There it was, the blasphemy. Almost as soon as they had crossed his maw he regretted them. Alone? No one was ever alone... but to his surprise, the Ocean did not protest that. Nothing did. Silently he waited from testimony of the rock or wind or bird or any of the other things he knew were about them. Opening his eyes, he looked up to the stars and begged their songs to reach his ears and yet there was... nothing.

In silence, the tears rolled from his eyes to streak blue down his body and back to the Ocean from whence it had come.

Dark Fire Angel
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

She'd felt a longing to return; she needed to hear their voices more than ever, however, when the small goddess had reached the shores, there was no singing to welcome her. Instead she could feel confusion from the lands, pain, insecurity, and slowly, she smiled. It was a nostalgic feeling, that what she could fee; she was needed.

There was no singing from the stars, however, she knew they were there; the sun was covering them with it's harsh rays, but she knew they were there. She merely needed to wait for night to roll along and they'd come out. Thus so, the goddess tucked her wings away from view, her long, pale, blue bangs flowing in the wind. That's when she heard his voice, for the first time; true, it'd always rung within her heart, but never had she heard it in person.

Padding along the shored, the Muhali allowed the waves to lap at her form; there were times the tide would come up so high that it nearly concealed her form entirely from view. The fact she was blue hued helped to hide her against the waters, and in turn gave the impression she was coming out from the depths of the ocean as she approached Hadithi's form. Her form was so small compared to his; barely larger than that of a cub, her bangs falling over her blue eyes as she reached him, pace by pace. She was not sure if he'd seen her, or if she knew what she was, but that didn't matter in that precise moment, "No one's ever ready; the sun is never ready to light the day after the moon and stars leave, but he must, because ... otherwise, we'd not know the light of day," it was not a protest; in fact, the words from the petite lioness carried a hint of laughter that reached her eyes as she stood a mere meter away from the male, her form still half sunk in the water.

Then her head turned away from him, facing the wind, her eyes closing as she allowed it to caress her face, long bangs flowing behind her, "It comes... it's near."

Kisoni

Though his body was surprised, for he hadn't seen the Goddess appear beside him, his heart was not. The blue that marked her body was familiar, as was the voice with which she addressed him. This voice he had heard many times before, though he had never thought to see a feline as its form. Shock wasn't enough to stave off is shame at the tears he had shed, or that his heart had faltered and questioned reality. Still, these things were in the past were they not? That Mother had appeared to him was a sign that the Ocean was not angry with them; that they were still its children, despite his lapse of confidence.

"Mother!," He addressed her and his voice cracked. She was not his mother in body, nor would she ever be, but this was the only name they knew her by or ever cared to know; no matter what they addressed her as, it was what she would be. "Mother," Hadithi tried again, remaining much more steady this time, "what comes?"

The question was not doubtful but rather hopeful. Perhaps, after so many hardships, there would be an ease; after the night there would a dawn. What she had said of that was true, and though part of him wished to continue to question himself, what reason was there for that? She had come to him, the Ocean had not forsaken him, and so there must be reason for this. ...even if he could not see it.

Dark Fire Angel
"Mother!"

The smile that had been lingering upon her maw seemed to spread further, her eyes twinkling; it'd been long since she'd been addressed as such. At least face to face anyhow, and it brought back memories that Muhali still cherished, "The future comes," and she turned to motion towards the hills beyond, "It approaches even now; it comes... there is always calm after a storm, even at sea."

She fell silent then, sitting down, the water still lapping at her feet, her tail soaked, her bangs plastered against her forehead due to the humidity and the waves that sprayed their foam at her. She blended in almost perfectly against the white foam and blue waves however; just as much as he seemed to blend against the sand. Both of them were sand and ocean, standing side by side. After a long time, she turned to face the lion once more and offered him another smile, for that was something she could offer him without thought, "You called."

It was not a question, but a statement; she'd heard him, all the way from the Pridelands. She'd left Uka's side at night without another word a while back; she hadn't told him she'd leave, nor where she as going. After all, it was her whom had tagged along with the God of Denial, not the other way around; he would not seek her out and would not worry about her. They were not bonded by anything at all... he owed her nothing and would not mind her disappearance. At least, that's what irrationality thought.

"You called," she repeated and then smiled brightly at him, "But you do not need me; the future that comes here is as bright as newly fallen snow, you know. White as foam; you can call me whenever you want, but it is your future that comes," her own was not here, however, the voices of her singing stars had always been a comfort. She'd protect those stars forever, she thought as a particularly large wave drowned her presence for bare moments.

The goddess' head appeared through the water again, her breath gasping, her head turning as she swished her long bangs out of her eyes, and she smiled up at him; it was almost like a game, surfacing after those large waves. She didn't even seem to mind the fact her pelt was drenched.

Kisoni

Hadithi stood strong as a rock against the wave that had engulfed Mother and then given her back again. He was stronger than the petite lioness, by virtue of gender and size alone, but more so was that he had long since grown use to the pull and tug of the tide and knew how to resist its calling. He did watch, however, wondering if she would resurface. When she did, he smiled. Though she said he did not need her, he was not convinced of that; they all needed her, the Kizingo'zaa. Without her they would not exist, without her mark they would not be them. Indeed, He'd thought little of the blue patch on his forehead, or the colour of his sister.. .Or, for that matter, the most telling mark of all: the eyes the colour of hers. They had not existed in their blood line before her touch.

Without her presence, he would still be lost upon this pier, staring out into the depths that would not stare back. Now, with her touch, his faith renewed and once more he could feel the song in the water like electricity tingling through his fur and skin. It was comforting, even when he had to raise his head over the water's swell to retain his breath. The seas were joyous about them, welcoming the Mother as much as he did.

Her promise of a future was more than he had ever hoped for. Not once had Hadithi thought the answer would be so straight forward or simple as that--in truth, it had yet to prove that it even was--but there it was! Hope sprung a new, as pure and innocent as the new fallen snow. "I do need you," He replied, softly, careful of the respect one should show their Mother, "We need you. Though you may not always be here, if you had forgotten us we would be no more. To be forgotten is the only death that is not joyous... and I will admit, I had thought us forgotten."

He turned a shameful eye towards her, ears low and apologetic. "Will you forgive me for that, Mother?" He doubted she would not, but it was better to ask than to assume. Indeed, there was still that small quaking fear remaining, tingling, at the back of his mind that needed to be put to rest. "We might have left and forgotten this settlement... it has brought naught but misfortune to our family."

A wave hissed at him, its foam slapping his face no sooner than he had spoken the words. "I am sorry," he apologized to the water, "But it is the truth."

Dark Fire Angel
Slowly, the female raised to her feet, now playing with the waves like a cat would with a mouse; as she came towards, she made a show of jumping so she'd remain above the water's surface. It was only after a particularly large wave drowned her down and she resurfaced, that her wings finally appeared.

The spread out of nowhere, water flying away from them as she batted them once, sprinkling the wetness onto the larger male by his side, "Come!" she did not answer his questions or his words for the time being, but rather, jumped up and down within the water, batting her wings, splashing him with them before she dipped her head under water and resurfaced with his tail in her mouth. She was touching him now, tugging on t gently, making her presence all that more real to the adult, "Come!" it was repeated as she let go of his tail and jumped away from him, splashing around the shore and through the waves as she ran.

After a few paces, she turned to glance at him over her shoulder, her tail peeking over the water as she motioned with her head. This done, she began to run, fully expecting him, "I know what I feel; I know what you're feeling too!" she called over the crashing sounds of the waves as she ran; she was waiting for him to catch her before giving him her answers, "Come!" it was only after long moments of play that the goddess began to sing as she ran through the waves, waiting for him to catch her.

Her words meant nothing, and everything at the same time; they told a story of the future and the past. They talked about hope, and she sang as she ran, playing along the shore with a mortal that descended from one she had touched, long ago. She didn't allow the male to catch her till her song was finished however; as the last words died in her throat, she turned her head to look over her shoulder and waited for him.

Kisoni

"Come! Come!"

The urging wasn't much needed. Hadithi rose as she did, the wings no mystery in his mind. She was the Mother, the Ocean, one and the same.. and what was the Ocean if not a fickle, ever changing creature? He was, however, surprised by the speed. Together they ran down the beach, dipping in and out of the waters and sand, the moonlight shining down on their backs and sparkling over the water. The three of them played, and she sang.

The song filled his heart with hope. It was everything he'd needed to hear; every truth that he'd had questioned brought home again into perfect, clear rationality.

A light sparked in his heart once more and the blackness that had been there did not break, but melted away to leave him pure and clean once more. His grand parents were gone. His father, his mother, brothers and sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles... Almost everyone he cherished had passed on--but he had forgotten that they were still here with them. They were alive as all Muses were alive, ever moving through the great circle of life.

So long as he held on, kept his hope, things would turn out right. The world was a beautiful place, if only you stopped to appreciate the beauty.

As her song ended, Hadithi caught her. He brushed his head against hers, a gentle caress of a lover, for he did love her. He had always loved her and would always love her, just as ever member of their family had and would until the end of time. "Thank you," He murmured to her ear, no matter the lack of necessity; she knew.

Dark Fire Angel
When she was caught, the petite goddess not only allowed the larger male to cuddle her (it must have looked much like Hadithi was clutching to a small plush), but she reacted on her own, and nuzzled him back, grooming his mane where she could reach, her tongue darting in and out to smooth over the brown pelt. Once satisfied, she smiled up at him, "The future will come, and it will be the beginning of new times, as bright as the stars above," squirming out of his grasp, she climbed till she was perched on top of his head, her wings batting as she dried them up, ridding her pelt of the excess water, "If you wait here, there'll be someone that'll come; pelt was white as fallen snow. Talk to her. Sing for her."

This said, she hoped off his head and back onto the sandy shores; her paws no longer touched the water, however, the grains of sand clung to them. She left footprints, clear as day, marking the fact that she was real, and had been there; she was not a dream that the male had thought up, nor was she anything intangible.

Turning her head, she offered him another smile, this one softer, more mature as her eyes became hooded, her wings spreading, "If you wait and believe, everything will be fine; sing for me, sing for her, sing for this earth, and it shall answer you. I'll shall always be with you; You are in my heart," the goddess placed a paw upon her chest, leaving sand on her blue pelt, making her seem mortal in a way, for nothing ethereal would be able to be marred by something as lowly as sand, "I will always listen, and will always come when you need me. It is I that thanks you," her eyes opened fully, "Because you make me happy and sing for me in my times of need; when there's a storm, I turn my head to listen to your voices, and I am happy to be myself."

Her wings spread again then and she watched him before she looked up at the stars. There was a long silence as she watched them winking and twinkling back at her, and Muhali's longing was finaly lessened. She felt irrationally happy, and found that coming here was what she'd been needing to do; that tugging at her heart had been a need to come here. To see them. Talk to them and play with them.

She was happy, "What are you thinking?"

Kisoni

Hadithi watched her as she told him what to do. He nodded along, mentally logging every word, every gesture and look; this would be a wonderful story for his children, as had ever instance where the Mother had come to speak with her Children. One who was white as snow. He would wait for her, as patiently as he could, and do as the Goddess said. Perhaps, he thought, she would bring family for them, or she would be family herself. He couldn't deny a somewhat childish excitement within his breast; he hadn't seen any lion but his family members since he was a small child.

Nor had it occurred to him that this bothered him. He remembered the last land they had passed through before they had settled here, a land of tattooed lions that shared many of their thoughts on spirits. That had been a very long time ago, though, and he had been very young. Indeed, the faces flashed across his memory more like wisps of dream or fog that true memories.

An ecstatic, irrational sort of joy bloomed in his heart, causing his dark maw to split in the strongest grin he had held in quite some time. "I am thinking," He said presently, eyes too drawn to the heavens; they were dancing again, "That I have not yet sung my grandfather's songs, or danced his dances or recited his poetry. It is time I gave him his due. .... Would the Mother join me?"

Dark Fire Angel
Again the goddess graced the male with a smile; this time it was broad, childish in nature as she looked at him, "Yes!" the word was chirped at him as she plunged towards his frame, skipping in and out of the waved again, because a song... simply would not be a song if she were not to be allowed to dance within the ocean shore.

Her voice, soft and young, lingered around that of the male's, graver and stronger, creating a duet that seemed to flow along the water of the ocean, welcomed by the waves. Birds stopped to stare at the two lions as they sung away the night, and fish stopped swimming to join into their dancing, and Muhali was sure that the soul that had been buried within the waters earlier, was singing with them in spirit too. It sounded to the small goddess as if the whole world had joined in on their singing; she was almost sure she could hear the water bucks and antelopes far away, singing the strange tunes. The moon shone down on them, and the stars twinkled, and the pale blue lioness was happy.

She was not a goddess, for once. And he was not a mortal as they sung together; they were equals.

As Day's first rays of light come, Muhali finally spread her wings, and whilst they both still sung, and smiled a silent good bye and plunged up into the sky. She wasn't going anywhere, and he was going to go everywhere, both at the same time; she was going to urge that future onward, and then, she go back to Denial. She'd found she rather missed him as much as she missed Truth. This in mind, the small blue body vanished between the clouds, leaving behind the beach; as she vanished, small droplets of water fell down to earth from her form, and onto that of Hadithi, proof she'd truly been there and in some sort of way... a way to remind him she'd be back.

Even if he couldn't see her, she'd always be back.