Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Hooray for Garter Stitch Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garter Stitch
  Yeah Garter Stitch
  Boo for Garter Stitch
  Garter What?
  Stockinette?
View Results

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 am
So I got a whole bunch of yarn that resembles feather boas. I tried to crochet with it. (that was a joke) It was very hard to do. THen I had the thoguth of, "since I'm using it to make christmas gifts.....Garter STitch scarves!" It is so much easier to garter stitch it rather than try to crochet it! Any one else agree?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Garter stitch is awesome! It definitely rules when knitting flat, IMNSHO. And it's great for showing off novelty yarns, since it doesn't curl, and the contrasting textures are fun, esp. if you knit on oversized needles. mrgreen  

AriRashkae

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:39 pm
Garter stitch is so basic, yet so creative! biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:55 pm
Crochet with novelty yarns? gonk

I swear, all those novelty yarns are good for is garter stitch scarves.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 am
What are novelty yarns?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:15 am
Most of the novelty yarn available right now is of the fun fur variety, some of the novelty yarns have slubs of a different color in them so that they look like confetti on a solid colored background.

I received a free ball of Disco yarn and managed to crochet a scarf out of it. I had to use another yarn with it so I could see my stitches though. It came out looking like a dead muppet, I felt bad for giving it to the local ferret shelter to sell but the shelter mom said that it sold right away and the buyer loved it.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Safiya_Ai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:28 pm
Arg! I can't stand novelty yarn. I made a friend a scarf with some cause she likes that stuff, it was such a pain to knit. She loved it though and it was enough for me smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:08 pm
With regular yarns, I prefer stockinette. With fun fur you're usually not going to be able to see the stitches well anyways, so sure, just go at it sticks blaring and do garter stitch.  

faeriebell

Eloquent Conversationalist

15,975 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:06 pm
ForestGreen
Most of the novelty yarn available right now is of the fun fur variety, some of the novelty yarns have slubs of a different color in them so that they look like confetti on a solid colored background.

I received a free ball of Disco yarn and managed to crochet a scarf out of it. I had to use another yarn with it so I could see my stitches though. It came out looking like a dead muppet, I felt bad for giving it to the local ferret shelter to sell but the shelter mom said that it sold right away and the buyer loved it.

Isn't that always the way? We look at something and gonk and a non-crafter will go whee heart .  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 pm
Some random thoughts on those novelty yarns.

Novelty yarns are good for a few things. (not many mind you, I do think that Fun Fur is inherently evil) But I can think of a few.

1. Toys. There are some cute knitted toy patterns with fun fur. (then again stuffed animals are *supposed* to be furry. Most people are not.)

2. Cat things. Some cats like fur. Mine don't. They like wool - to the point where they chew on it and bury themselves in it, but my neighbors cat aodres fun-fur lined cat beds.

3. Theatres. Don't laugh... how else are you going to make Mister Mistoffeles furry while he dances? (I have knitted fun fur leggings for a production of CATS)

4. accessories for people under 6 years old. Sometimes it's cute if you're tiny.

Like this: this is cute because the kid is three.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

everything else?

eeeeew.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:03 pm
I like fun fur carried along with something else. Especially if I'm going to be felting. wink

Supposedly, you can knit a simple stockinette cap in fun fur type yarns (esp. natural hair colors), turn them inside out to purl side, and have awesome wig-looking chemo caps. Haven't tried it myself yet. Electric blue is not natural. blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm
faeriebell
With regular yarns, I prefer stockinette. With fun fur you're usually not going to be able to see the stitches well anyways, so sure, just go at it sticks blaring and do garter stitch.

I love what you said! *rolls on the floor laughing*  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Little Skana

Flip-Flopper

44,900 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:29 am
I use the garter stitch a lot. As for the fun fur, I had two fleece blankets. They had the blanket stitch already on it. I wanted to double the two blankets together to make it heavier. I crochet using 1 strand of regular yarn and 1 strand of fun fur together and crochet around the whole thing for several rows. It come out pretty good. I make several of these as gifts. Everyone seemed to like it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:45 pm
faeriebell

That's EXACTLY how I feel. Unless it's in reverse stockinette, which I like to use with multicolored yarn.  

Dark Yume

MissyRhae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:53 am
I love Garter Stitch because it is fast and easy. And lets face it... when you are working with furry yarns you can't see any fancy stitches anyway. And when you give the scarf as a gift, they don't care that it is a simple stitch. Half the time they don't know a thing about knitting, they are just happy that you thought about them enough to make them something with your own hands. This is why I say Yay for the Garter Stitch!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff