Psychotic

The boy threw himself against the padded door, crying and laughing hysterically at the same time.
‘I’m not crazy!’ he shouted. The other boy in the cell watched him with almost disinterested eyes. ‘They won’t listen. I tried it when I first got here, but they just told me I needed to calm down.’
The boy turned, tear tracks stained his cheeks and his eyes burned with a hate beyond reason.
‘I’ll kill you if you say anything like that again, Jaid. Just SHUT UP!!!’ he screamed.
h
Jaid shrunk back against the wall slightly; he had never really felt afraid of Grain until now. Until he was locked in the same room with him, no hope of escape. Until both he and his former classmate had been declared insane. Grain threw himself against the door again. The delirious happiness he had felt was slipping away, leaving the sad, angry and dangerous Grain desperate. ‘Let me out!’

The noise of clanking armour and heavy feet came through the door. The feet stopped suddenly as the owner halted in front of the door. ‘Shut up in there!’ roared an extremely angry voice. Again, Jaid shrunk back into his corner.
‘Do what he says Grain, please,’ he begged. ‘They’ll kill us Grain, just do what they say,’ tears pricked behind his eyes as he spoke. No matter how many times he had begged God to have mercy and kill him; in truth he didn’t want to die.
‘I said SHUT UP!’ Grain bellowed at his former friend. With that, he reached out a hand and struck him. Jaid fell to the floor heavily and blood trickled from the wound Grain’s ring had made.
Grain lifted his right hand to his eyes, noticing that the blue vibrant stone had the blood of Jaid on it. He smiled slightly. The guards hadn’t been able to take that ring off, and his finger was supposed to come off. The guards negligence in their duties had given them a weapon. He chuckled quietly to himself.
‘Well boy? Are you going to be quiet? Or do I have to come in there and quieten you?’ The man outside asked.

Grain glanced at the door and knelt down beside Jaid. He felt quickly for a pulse, and when he couldn’t find one t, stood again with an evil grin.
‘I hate you!’ he screamed at empty air.
‘I mean it boy, be quiet,’ the voice was low, threatening and dangerous.
‘I don’t care what you say.’
‘Don’t push me.’
‘Come in and get me then. Oh wait, you’re not allowed,’ Grain laughed. ‘I can say whatever I want, you can’t come in here.’
He could just imagine the emotions flickering across the heavy guards face as he considered the insulting words of the boy. A high keening began in the room, signalling that the door was opening. Grain hurried across to the corpse and opened Jades eyes. He held the body in front of him like a shield. The guard was stupid enough to threaten the dead boy rather that Grain, he knew it.
The guard entered the room, eyes burning with hatred and anger. As Grain predicted, he walked to the body of Jaid and lifted him by the collar of his shirt. Grain moved quickly then, swiftly manoeuvring the guard he stepped out into freedom.

It took a few seconds for the anger on the guards face to clear away and make room for shock. Shock at the dead body, and then at the rapidly closing door. Grain laughed gleefully and tears ran down his cheeks. He was sort of sad that he had killed Jaid, but only because Jaid had once been his closest friend. He shook the feelings away and freed his mind of thought.
Slowly and cautiously, Grain edged himself around corners and ran quickly through corridors, never running into a soul.

As he rounded his twentieth blind corner, his heart began to race. A figure towered above him, leering down at him with contempt and disgust. He recognised his father immediately, and took action before his father could blink. He grabbed the sharp needle that his father held in his hand and ran past him. Down into the darkness, with heavy feet behind and an unknown ending ahead.
He ran blindly through corridors. Past doctors in white coats and blue gloves, past the labs where experiments sent even the sanest man crazy. Grain’s blood was on fire. He almost enjoyed this game. He laughed in hysterical fear once. Ahead was a dead end. Another wall. He stopped and, in resignation, he turned to face whatever his father had set on him. A pack of dogs bounded toward him, teeth gnashing and claws clicking on the linoleum floor. Grain laughed. His father should know better than to set dogs on him.

A single word slipped from his lips. The dogs halted before him and listened. Grain didn’t speak, but pointed at the shadow of his father.
‘Kill,’ he whispered, his voice of silk flowing to reach even the deafest ears.
The shadow stopped advancing and the dogs turned. Their teeth were bared and their ears back. They began barking as they ran, and the shadow withdrew hurriedly. Grain grinned maliciously and shook his head at his father’s stupidity. Taking the evil looking needle, Grain turned it on himself. He pushed it into his heart where the lethal chemical would do the most damage, and fell to the ground, writhing in pain. The last thing his senses picked up in that life, was the ever so satisfying sound of his fathers pain filled shrieks and screams for mercy.