Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
Cynic vs. Misanthrope Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:31 pm
What's the difference between a cynic and a misanthrope?

I've been trying to figure out the answer to this question, because, aside from their mutual distrust of humanity, they seem to represent different things. I'm thinking that a cynic simply distrusts humanity, while a misanthrope hates humanity, period. If that's a case, could a misanthrope be classified as a radical cynic?

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:05 pm
Well, I don't know much on either topic (as made obvious in previous conversations), but from what research I've done (very little) it seems as though cynics believed the truest form or highest level life that a person might lead was one of nature and isolation. Cynics seemed to practice a way of simple and impoverished living that, in sense, rid followers of the negatives of society.
b  

Bellabie

Dameon the -V-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:57 pm
This really isnt the appropriate question to be asking because if they are one and the same the post would be complete (although we never agree)

Is a cynical person able to change?

Misanthrope...What are you~!?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:22 pm
Dammie-kins
This really isnt the appropriate question to be asking because if they are one and the same the post would be complete

I don't see how it's not. This post probably doesn't belong in this subform, but I don't see any harm in asking what the difference is.

Quote:
Is a cynical person able to change?

Possibly.

Quote:
Misanthrope...What are you~!?

You don't know what a misanthrope is? Read this.  

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

scintillio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:38 pm
these misanthropes seem paranoid....

Yea, its part of human nature to decieve---mostly to get what you want; and long ago, what you need---to survive.

But cynic's, they know the natures of man, and *possibly* pefer not to play those games of deseption because they know where they can lead. Also, after looking up some things, Bella wasn't too far off either, if off at all.

>_o to say a misanthrope is a radical cynic doesnt sound off to me, either. It makes rather good sence. I think that misanthropes are more narrowminded than cynics, though. Possibly cynics belive that a person can change, but i dont believe a misanthrope does at all.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:41 pm
You mis-understand...

Quote:
I don't see how it's not. This post probably doesn't belong in this subform, but I don't see any harm in asking what the difference is

I meant that it would be a short discussion meaning we would probably come to a decision

Quote:
You don't know what a misanthrope is? Read this.

Thank you mate!
I kinda allready knew what a misanthrope was but I called it a hermit.

Quote:
>_o to say a misanthrope is a radical cynic doesnt sound off to me, either. It makes rather good sence. I think that misanthropes are more narrowminded than cynics, though. Possibly cynics belive that a person can change, but i dont believe a misanthrope does at all.

Well its possible for anyone to change dear but It would be highly unlikely for a Misanthrope to change at all but its still possible  

Dameon the -V-

scintillio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:27 pm
Dammie
Well its possible for anyone to change dear but It would be highly unlikely for a Misanthrope to change at all but its still possible

possibly; but from my inpression, they really dont believe in change, so possibly, juuust possible, they cant change either...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm
possibly...  

Dameon the -V-

Bellabie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:23 pm
Dear Dammie-kins, I think this is a very appropriate question.
You
I meant that it would be a short discussion meaning we would probably come to a decision

This is, after all a debate and discussion sub-forum.
I think that it is an important question to ask, also, because people tend to use incorrect meanings of such words (as I probably have).
In fact, I must thank Mister Boxman for posing this question so I might learn.

Which do you think is more reasonable? Cynicism or Misanthropism?
b  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:32 pm
Being a bit of a misanthropist myself, I think it's not entirely fair to compare it to cynicism. The two have similarities, sure, but each one is a different, distinct experience, each with its own logic and reasoning. Personally, I find nothing wrong with either perspective.  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Bellabie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:48 pm
Despite my appreciation of meditation and personal awareness,
I dislike the idea of separating from others.
I am dependent upon friends and a web, if you will, of trust, to catch me or others if e'er one of us stumbles.
b  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:51 pm
I like to speak and be around people, but I like to do it from the comfort of my own home. Hence, Gaia. Otherwise, I only leave the house for school, work, and holidays. 'Cuz family is important...  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Dameon the -V-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:20 pm
I came to steal your heart...

I kinda have to agree once again with mobius. The two idea's are in totally different leagues.

Mobius I believe you are just a secluded person much like myself except I have to be social because of my band but thats beside the point

A misanthrope would not be on gaia as it is completely dependant apon each-other to make it run itself

...I walked away with a soul mate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 pm
Dammie-kins

A misanthrope would not be on gaia as it is completely dependant apon each-other to make it run itself

Hmmm...guess I should leave, then.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. And according to the Wikipedia article I referenced, misanthropes usually have good relationships with certain people. Misanthropy doesn't imply or require being a hermit.  

Master Clockfish

Dapper Millionaire

4,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Dameon the -V-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:25 am
I came to steal your heart...

Boxman do not believe I was attacking anyone I was just merely putting it out there that "misanthropes" do not trust most people and gaia is dependant apon some people

And I believe your comment about believe some people is a good point but it still doesnt help with the hermit personality because while you love others you scorn the very race that you derive from

...I walked away with a soul mate

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces