Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Why does following the rules result in bashing? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 am
I'm ok with Grammar Guild's rules, and even with ToS. But why does it turn out to be painful when I'm typing grammar without any nonsense or harassment only to have the opposite thrown on me in spades? Sure, typing to random people you don't know is like proclaiming your opinion about society to some bum on the street when he's really just thinking about stealing your car...but there are so many of them online in comparison and they all want to cuss at you then bait your email account for more spam.

I get ahead of myself too much here...it isn't wrong to not care about someone else when they follow the rules, but why should it be wrong to try and find an audience only to attract more goons?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:34 am
Oh yea another thing (I'm not heckling, just wanted to point this out quick), why does posting on forums feel like some big act, even if you tell the truth? It's like...improv with text almost. This guild is quite honest in comparison, and everything else not by members of this guild is just...lies. O_O;  

Tezur

Natsuri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:22 pm
Very disgusting, really. Shows how uneducated the damn world is. evil

Excuse the act, it just sickens me, really. Bad things happening to good people...also comes to show how sadistic the world can be. confused  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:55 am
I opened your topic because I was bothered by its title. It is supposed to be 'Why do following the rules'.

Nonetheless, your post concerns me. Yes, the world and its people have changed. But you have to understand the reasons. The people are uneducated because they can't afford to be. They are sadistic because they think it is the only thing they can do.

To tell you the truth, I have done the same thing. I was just telling a fellow gaian about how rules would keep her safe. Then, she starts cussing at me, telling me to "get laid" and whatnot.

I, for one, was offended and decided to talk back. It ended with her walking away leaving me confused.  

nessa7

Mikhalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:23 pm
I concur with Nessa, although I must add: sometimes you just gotta sink to their level and flame the everliving snot out of them.

Unfortunately, the only way to cure stupid is physical pain, and until someone invints a device to punch people in the face over the internet, you either gotta walk away or just intentionally piss them off as much as you're able.

Also unfortunately, I have too low a tolerance for morons to not do the latter.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:36 pm
Having somewhat a higher than most tolerance for those who aren't as bright as they should be helps me deal with them, but after a while of the same thing....-sighs-. Anyways, to answer your question, it's simply because that's how people are these days. The 'rules were made to be broken' attitude is pretty prevalent, at least here where I'm at.

Hope that helps.  

Patron with a Mission

Silvermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 am
I think the problem in this aspect is that the general concensus towards illiteracy and not following the rules is that 'everyone does it', and is therefore perceived as being 'okay'.
The general masses tend to take the easy way out, which means following the assumed 'norm'. In this case, the 'norm' is that everyone types shorthand and anyone who types more clearly or even suggests it is seen as an eliteist. Those who take the common road often gang up on those who decide to go the extra mile mainly because it's their way of feeling empowered in the situation. At least that's what I've come to think.
This not only applies to grammar, but following the rules; whatever they may be.
It is sad indeed to witness that everyone sees the short road as the best road, even if it means sacrificing quality, intelligence, or even morality in the process.
But, regretably, that is the world we live in today.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:45 pm
Are you talking about the people who complain when a thread is placed in the wrong Forum? That's something that tick's me off. mad  

Kuo51

Isadorana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:43 am
I completely agree with most, if not all of the preceding statements, I live in a household where I am currently being called a "grammar Nazi"; which just goes to show, no matter who the perpetrators of the "short-hand speak" are, those who correct them are always looked at with hatred, and aggression.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm
nessa7
I opened your topic because I was bothered by its title. It is supposed to be 'Why do following the rules'.
No, it does not. "Following the rules" is a gerund here, and as far as I know, gerunds are always singular.

I just felt like being a grammar Nazi today. [shrugs]  

SuperDuperRockLee

xXgoth_girl12Xx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:32 pm
That's the world today, unfortunately.
My mom and dad always tell me story's about when they were kids, and back then, most of the world was nicer and more educated than they are now.
One reason for bag grammar is because of people not being able to get a decent education and thinking that being illiterate is 'cool', when it really makes them sound like idiots.
And people feel the need to be sadistic because, like nessa7- sama said, they feel that it is the only thing that they can do when they could strive for a higher standard and not try to take the easy way out.
But, sadly, that's the way the world is today.
It's all going down hill, and unless people make an effort to make it better, things are going ot get worse and worse.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:34 am
SuperDuperRockLee
nessa7
No, it does not. "Following the rules" is a gerund here, and as far as I know, gerunds are always singular.

Yeah, you're right. However, there is a read "the" that isn't there: "Why do the following..." It makes "following" a present progressive verb instead of the gerund. I know, I saw it too. Her title is correct, but doesn't look like it is. domokun The human eye is always adding and subtracting "the" and "and" from sentences, so it's no surprise.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Amaya84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:20 am
Interestingly enough, I recently heard a radio commercial declaring illiteracy a major epidemic. True? Of course. My point is that is is true, however the country is in many ways only now becoming aware of a problem that takes years to create, and many more to combat. Given that, there is the other extreme group of literate folk who take a strong stance when using proper grammar, and like to try to instill this in others. It seems like the they're constantly clashing. There is no middle ground in society anymore. One cannot afford to believe that it exists, nor ever will.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 am
I hate to say this, but part of the clash is created artificially by the schools. I think every one should have a better education and that US schools need to step it up, but even good schools create this clash. Schools pick a dialect and elevate it above all others, even though ALL dialects have their own set of grammar rules. It's kind of a catch22 because people need to be able to communicate with each other, especially if they speak the same language! People need to know how to spell and how to make a good impression. But certain populations feel stepped on, for good reason, but only hurt their own prospects in society by rebelling.

I guess my point is that my Mom has a decent education, but there are still things she says that are grammatically incorrect in Standard English. It's nothing so bad that it would harm her in an interview-- and any way, when she's speaking to me, she's not being interviewed. Yet I know some people, including family members, who would correct her any way.

Then on the other hand I know people who hurt their job prospects because they refuse to learn Standard English.

Why are people so snooty? Why can't we all just get along? rolleyes  

MrsMica

Tengaii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:29 am
MyOwnBestCritic
SuperDuperRockLee
nessa7

Yeah, you're right. However, there is a read "the" that isn't there: "Why do the following..." It makes "following" a present progressive verb instead of the gerund. I know, I saw it too. Her title is correct, but doesn't look like it is. domokun The human eye is always adding and subtracting "the" and "and" from sentences, so it's no surprise.

Oh, boy. I just joined, you know, because I do prefer it when people are literate, but I didn't realize that this was a guild full of English teachers. ;p

Just joking, of course. I thought this was semi-relevant (in my world at least) considering the topic.

Wait.. I.. I am just joking, right? I'll have to think on this...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff