Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply The AMV Guild
No, really. I'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you classify music videos made with Sims 2 as AMVs or not?
  Well... yes, I suppose I would.
  I think not.
View Results

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:23 pm
I'm not sure how on topic this is... sorry...

Are Sims videos AMVs, or classified with AMVs but a different beast, or just something else entirely?
I mean, they certainly aren't live action, and the computer graphics technically are animation, but as you can control the initial footage to an extent, the editing of them isn't the same art as the editing of an AMV.

If you are unfamiliar with them, I suggest following these links rather than randomly searching YouTube, as Sims music videos, like metal songs; are either really quite nice or painful to endure.
This is what I'm talking about, for people who are completely confused.
Yes, it is My Chemical Romance and the Sims, but prepare for socks-knocked-offage. Pretty images. Much room to make fun of Kitty's taste in music. It's long, but the end is very funny.

...why do all the good editors insist on having sprites based off band members in their AMVs?

And, if they aren't AMVs, what are they?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:09 am
No, sims are not anime nor are they even anime related. Hence, sims videos are not anime music videos.  

MalXII

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:56 pm
So you do not classify music videos remixed from american cartoons as AMVs, because they are not anime, despite the fact that the video editor has changed nothing but the source of the video?

Would you consider a music video made from the cut scenes from a video game an AMV, or would it depend on where the video game was made?
Barely related, would an animated music video still be considered an AMV if the animation was made to go along with the music?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:07 pm
Kittywitch
So you do not classify music videos remixed from american cartoons as AMVs, because they are not anime, despite the fact that the video editor has changed nothing but the source of the video?

I'm pretty solid on my statement that amvs have to be anime music videos. even more so than my definition of anime actually (which I think of more as the style than the source). So Snow White isn't amv material, Avatar might be, but only if people are considering it anime. The snow white one might be perfectly good, but it's a cartoon music video, not an anime music video :

Quote:
Would you consider a music video made from the cut scenes from a video game an AMV, or would it depend on where the video game was made?

The games have to be japanese and/or anime looking, depending on what one considers to be anime, as said earlier. sims doesn't count, warcraft doesn't count, and even Metal Gear Solid doesn't really count. Dead or alive, Final Fantasy, Tales games do.

Quote:
Barely related, would an animated music video still be considered an AMV if the animation was made to go along with the music?

You mean like Amazing Nuts!, Intersella 5555, or even anime openings? I generally don't think about them in a sense of being amvs, but they are. They have anime and music. hence anime music videos.  

MalXII

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:08 pm
MalXII
Kittywitch

I'm pretty solid on my statement that amvs have to be anime music videos. even more so than my definition of anime actually (which I think of more as the style than the source). So Snow White isn't amv material, Avatar might be, but only if people are considering it anime. The snow white one might be perfectly good, but it's a cartoon music video, not an anime music video :

I think the real question is does the A in AMV stand for Anime or Animated? I was under the impression that it stood for animated, and asked to join this guild because I was currently working on a project where I would be making an original animation to music.
As I am not asian, what you're saying is my nationality would make that project unacceptable to be shown in this guild? confused  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:47 pm
The a is anime. Even here:
Quote:
Welcome to the AMV Guild! AMV is short for Anime Music Video

A lot of people accept custom animation videos to be considered amvs as long as it has an anime feel though.

And the usually accepted form of determining what's anime relies on it coming from japan rather than just that it was made by Asians. :/  

MalXII

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:36 am
@.@ Heated conversation! O:
But I agree with Mal...so long as it's some form of animation it's generally considered an AMV. I don't think the others really have a classification...just... MV I guess ><

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:01 pm
Desdemona Legardored
But I agree with Mal...so long as it's some form of animation it's generally considered an AMV. I don't think the others really have a classification...just... MV I guess ><
Wait a second, I'm confused. What are you saying?
Mal said that the source had the be anime, specially,
And then you said that you agree with him; and that It has to be some form of animation. Which is the opposite side of this arguement. What are you saying?

It's not a big deal, I'm confused.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Desdemona Legardored
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 am
Kittywitch
Desdemona Legardored
Wait a second, I'm confused. What are you saying?
Mal said that the source had the be anime, specially,
And then you said that you agree with him; and that It has to be some form of animation. Which is the opposite side of this arguement. What are you saying?

It's not a big deal, I'm confused.

No clue what I was saying...interpret it how you want. I can't even remember when I wrote that and what I was on. That was right in the middle of finals...so I was officially braindead.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:57 am
Fair enough.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
The AMV Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash