Reply The Naruto Yaoi Guild
Does the Seme uke thing ruin relationships? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Werevixen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:53 pm
Do you think Seme uke thing ruin relationships?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:26 pm
I don't think it does. Just because someone is seme doesn't mean that they are better or stronger than the other. Both in the relationship understand this. Besides, if the uke wants to try to be seme, and if the seme loves the uke, the seme should let them have a turn at being dominent.  

Aliana_Silk

Chieira
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:59 pm
I think fandom's interpretation of a seme/uke relationship as an unbending rule that dictates not only the relationship but the personalities of those involved in the relationship does ruin pairings, for me anyway. For some pairings, it works: when characters already have the personalities that fit into those stereotypical roles that fandom lays out for them. But when the characters don't fit into those roles and are shoved into them anyway, with no consideration for their canon personalities, yes, I think it ruins relationships xD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:50 pm
no it doesn't ruin it, I agree with what Chieira says  

-Light Twin Keroberos-

torpedo1018

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:01 pm
yeah, it doesn't ruin the relationship. but if they are shoved into the roles, it is unfair sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:34 pm
User Image

XD; I think it all depends on the couple. I have a friend that, for some reason, insists on having a dominant/seme mate. Then again, I have friends who're all for being seme/uke and switching roles. If the person didn't want to be uke, and the other person didn't want to be anything but seme, it would be a source of friction. =/ Any source of friction that can't be resolved or moved beyond will ruin a relationship.

User Image

Rose Koneko
Captain

Sparkly Phantom

9,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150

lawliet-senpai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:34 am
I dont think it ruins slashes or yaoi anime but relationships in real life i think it may...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 am
Well, in anime/manga/video games/whatever isn't real life, it can only be ruined like Chieira said. If the character is forced into a role that doesn't suit them, then it would ruin the pairing.  

midori_tea

silvananoir

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:17 pm
If it's in the anime and manga world it depends on the character's personalities. Some characters are just more suited to a specific role. In the rest of the cases it depends on the artist, fanfic author etc... I don't really think it ruins relationships at least in that realm. In real life, it once again depends on the people in the relationship. Maybe they are in that type of relationship where their personalities put them in that type of role. It really depends on the people and where they feel comfortable. If one partners tries to force another into a relationship that their not suited for then there could be a problem. Otherwise I'm sure everything would be fine.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm
Chieira
I think fandom's interpretation of a seme/uke relationship as an unbending rule that dictates not only the relationship but the personalities of those involved in the relationship does ruin pairings, for me anyway. For some pairings, it works: when characters already have the personalities that fit into those stereotypical roles that fandom lays out for them. But when the characters don't fit into those roles and are shoved into them anyway, with no consideration for their canon personalities, yes, I think it ruins relationships xD

Quoted because its too troublesome to say that my own way, because her avi is the hotness and because she's right. XD Listen to da b***h, hoez. :3 Dear lord am I sick of "baby uke Naru-chan" >>;  

mofosplz

Shy Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Yuu Okono

Versatile Receiver

9,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:55 pm
I feel like there is no need for...

I say that it doesn't even with the roles and personalitys...doesn't ruin mine at least sweatdrop

...Conversation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:43 pm
My opinion is pretty much the same as most people's here. It's all circumstancial. If, in a pairing, one person is rigidly defined as seme and the other as uke without exception, things can go wrong if their personalities do not correspond with their set roles.  

Lolafreak

inu_spike89

Ruthless Victory

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:14 pm
I agree with most of the post done so far. The roles definitely do not ruin the relationship, unless it is those roles that define a relationship. Everything must be flexible in the event of change, being seme/uke is no different. If neither partner is willing to give for the other, then the relationship was doomed to fail from the start.

The more common fan fictions and or fan art that depicts one character as being completely uke while the other can be interpreted as an overly masculine seme can cause for some confusion in the department of just how close the roles really are.

I don't know, I just think that generalizing the image of what one expects, i.e. stereotyping, and having that be the normality of the subject can cloud the judgments of people who don't really know the difference.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:21 am
Chieira

agreedx971924378109.

limitlessky03

Ryu Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:26 am
plushiesexual
Chieira

Quoted because its too troublesome to say that my own way, because her avi is the hotness and because she's right. XD Listen to da b***h, hoez. :3 Dear lord am I sick of "baby uke Naru-chan" >>;

I agree with these two (and the majority of the answers already) 3nodding  
The Naruto Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces