64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Nox
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Squirrelfang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:16 pm
Not including the Furlings, which of the Four Great Races would you say was the most advanced and why?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:24 pm
Personally, I've got to say the Nox. For one thing, they seem to have a far greater understanding of the world around them then the Ancients and Asgard do.

Furthermore, I would say that their minds are more powerful then the other two races. Their abilities to revive the dead, render themselves and others as invisible/invulnerable are all done through the power of the mind, which can be seen as a superior measuring stick towards advancement then technology, as it is a far more difficult thing to perfect.

Finally, you don't truly see any of their technology, aside from a flying city whose design looks somewhat similar to Atlantis...  

Squirrelfang

Zenzenmotto

Aged Gaian

1,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:08 am
I would have to say Nox as well, heck with a hand gesture one was able to turn on the Stargate. I would say they must as powerful if not more. BTW have we meet the Furlings yet? I know we have meet the other 3.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:41 am
Whereas the Ancients don't even need a hand gesture to revive someone? I'm sorry, but if the Asgard scramble everytime they can get their hands on Ancient tech, I think I'm picking the Ancients as the most advanced. They don't even need ships to travel from one place to another either. They may be arrogant bastards, but they are a helluva lot more advanced.

The Nox are extremely advanced, as are the Asgard, no doubt but I still think the fact that the Ancients are the most advanced.  

WolfeShade

MerlynLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 am
definetely the Ancients, cuz they built the Stargates!!!
they built the puddle jumpers!
they built the thing that made Jack and Teal'c repeat the same day over and over!
they made the thing that destroyed the replicators!
etc., etc., etc.!!!!!!!!!!!
-Merlyn-  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:51 am
MerlynLover
they built the thing that made Jack and Teal'c repeat the same day over and over!
-Merlyn-

Thank you smile  

WolfeShade

Squirrelfang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:22 pm
MerlynLover
-Merlyn-

Yes, the Ancients do have all of these advanced technologies (Stargates, Puddle Jumpers, etc). However, in the end, all of their abilities seem to be rooted in their technology. Even their assension was based on research of an extradimensional entity...

What we have seen from the Nox, however, is not rooted in their technology but from their minds. They shield entire cities through illusions, though it seems as if it is far more than an illusion. Also, Lya could open the wormholes without even dialing it up, something not even the Ascended could do.

Once again, the Nox have superior mental abilities then the Ancients, which as I see, counts more than sheer technological advancement.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:10 pm
Squirrelfang
MerlynLover
-Merlyn-

Yes, the Ancients do have all of these advanced technologies (Stargates, Puddle Jumpers, etc). However, in the end, all of their abilities seem to be rooted in their technology. Even their assension was based on research of an extradimensional entity...

What we have seen from the Nox, however, is not rooted in their technology but from their minds. They shield entire cities through illusions, though it seems as if it is far more than an illusion. Also, Lya could open the wormholes without even dialing it up, something not even the Ascended could do.

Once again, the Nox have superior mental abilities then the Ancients, which as I see, counts more than sheer technological advancement.
I agree with most of this. However about dialing the gate. She most likely made an illusion that the gate was not dialing so that she could help the Tollan make a fast exit. Remember they use illusions to hide or distort things. I doubt they have the mind power to establish a stable wormhole.  

Kazi-Kun

Uber_Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:32 pm
I'm going with the guys who no longer have the need for bodies.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:39 pm
Kazi-Kun
Squirrelfang
MerlynLover
-Merlyn-

I agree with most of this. However about dialing the gate. She most likely made an illusion that the gate was not dialing so that she could help the Tollan make a fast exit. Remember they use illusions to hide or distort things. I doubt they have the mind power to establish a stable wormhole.

But could she have made an illusion of herself not disintegrating in the event horizon of the opening worm hole?  

Rhaella

Squirrelfang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:02 pm
Uber_Bunny
I''m going with the guys who no longer have the need for bodies.

If you remember, Oma helped the Abydonians assend as well. Are you saying the Abydonians are more advanced than the Nox?

Once again, the Ancients'' ascent was based on research done on an ascended being. They did not completely achieve this by enlightenment.

In any respect, I think the Nox are more enlightened than even the Ascended.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:28 am
Lindelea
Kazi-Kun
Squirrelfang
MerlynLover
-Merlyn-

But could she have made an illusion of herself not disintegrating in the event horizon of the opening worm hole?
She could have made the illusion she was still standing there when she could have been down next to Daniel or anywhere else int he room for that matter.  

Kazi-Kun

Squirrelfang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:00 pm
Kazi-Kun
Lindelea
Kazi-Kun
Squirrelfang
MerlynLover
-Merlyn-

She could have made the illusion she was still standing there when she could have been down next to Daniel or anywhere else int he room for that matter.

This is truly turning into conspiracy theory, and while she probably could do such things, there is a major gap between ability and intent.

The major flaw with this theory lies in the strict code of ethids the Nox follow. I don't believe this code would allow Lya to mislead countless people merely for the purpose of creating a sense of awe. Also, it must be said that there is a danger in creating such an illusion. Say someone walks towards the Stargate when it reopens and gets disintigrated? She would then have to undo the illusion, which would lead to a rather awekward moment. Why would she risk so much for something that the Nox do not care about?

Afterall, they hid their technology from us when we were about to fight Apophis. Why would they suddenly try to make us think they were even more advanced then they actually are when there is absolutely nothing to gain or lose by doing so?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:58 pm
Well, that would depend, advanced evolutionwise, or technology?

Evolution - Nox, easily. I don't think I've seen what kind of thing the Ancients can do without technology.

Technology - Ancients. Because of all the above comments.

Greatest/most powerful - Asgard. They're still around, so they're more powerful. The Nox are all but gone, and the Ancients don't seem to be anywhere.  

Grammar King

Squirrelfang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:26 pm
Grammar King
Well, that would depend, advanced evolutionwise, or technology?

Evolution - Nox, easily. I don't think I've seen what kind of thing the Ancients can do without technology.

Technology - Ancients. Because of all the above comments.

Greatest/most powerful - Asgard. They're still around, so they're more powerful. The Nox are all but gone, and the Ancients don't seem to be anywhere.

Good point, but with the Asgard, they are a dying race. They have lost the ability to reproduce. The only reason they are still around is because they keep cloning themselves, which is the very source of this problem.

Also, a final point against the Ancient technology. They cannot completely control their technology and have lost control of it twise. First, their time machine that places planets in a time loop. Secondly, their super energy source that resulted in the destruction of an entire planet!

As advanced as they are, I am of the opinion that a race that, despite all of its advanced technologies, is virtually in harmony with nature beats out one that had nearly destroyed itself with its technology.  
The Stargate Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff