Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xPaperback_Writer

1,300 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Ok, so in Pride and Predjudice, there's the Mr. Collins guy, who wants to marry Elisabeth. But of course, she rejects. This Mr. Collins' first name is Edward, correct?(tell me if I'm wrong) Well, think about it. Edward Collins, vs Edward Cullen.... Do you think its just coincidence, or did Stephenie plan it that way??
Tell me what you think!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:26 pm
It's probably just a coinicence. When Stephenie Meyer was choosing a name for Edward she picked one that was once considered 'romantic'... As for the Cullen/ Collins... Most likely a coincidence.  

chevalierobsessed

xPaperback_Writer

1,300 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:31 pm
yes, probably, but its so interesting, you know?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:50 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Yeah..I think it's just a coincidence..or subconciously naming them similar? LIke in Bridge to Terabithia.
Paterson says she may have subconciously called it Terabithia from Prince Caspian's Terabinthia
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

KiraLight
Crew

Jasmic
Vice Captain

Shy Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:07 pm
It says his first name? oO;;
I need to read...

But I agree with the other posts. Nothing but coincidence. Besides, I don't see why Stephenie would want to name Edward for Mr. Collins anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm
Mr. Collins's first name is William, not Edward. And Stephenie Meyer said she chose the name Edward because it was the name of some of her favorite characters from romantic novels.  

m3_3aT_mUffinS

Double Helix Felix

Dangerous Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:13 pm
I'm not sure about Mr.Collens' first name, but Mr.Darcy's first name is Fitzwilliam. I think he's more of an Edward. He actually hides his feeling for Elisabeth in the beginning and then comes around, where she then rejects him for ruining her sister's love. She then comes around and loves him back.

Maybe that will happen. Edward does something to ruin Jake and then Bella hates him, Bella finally finds out that Edward was (again) trying to do something for her, though he made a mistake and later patched it up. Bella finds out and loves him again. Sounds like something Bella would do, doesn't it? Though it's almost impossible for Bella to hate Edward for something...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:26 pm
[Ange de la Morte]
Mr. Collins's first name is William, not Edward. And Stephenie Meyer said she chose the name Edward because it was the name of some of her favorite characters from romantic novels.

gotcha, thanks. i really wasnt sure.  

xPaperback_Writer

1,300 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Voter 0

LiM3 TAFFY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm
As for Edward's last name, Cullen means 'handsome'.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:35 pm
3 M 0 S C 3 N 3
As for Edward's last name, Cullen means 'handsome'.

Really? That's cool. In what language?  

xnotxperfectx

OpalGirl

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:04 pm
F U S H i G i P i N A Y
It says his first name? oO;;
I need to read...

But I agree with the other posts. Nothing but coincidence. Besides, I don't see why Stephenie would want to name Edward for Mr. Collins anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:30 pm
Since we're on the topic of people having the same name.

Was it just me, or did anyone else get reminded of Twilight in the movie 'Enchanted'
At the beginningish when Giselle first arrives in New York and she's going through the streets and subway and stuff screaming "Edward! Edward!"
I just got reminded of the part where Bella was wandering through the alleys and those guys were following her lol...

KiraLight
Crew

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces