Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
7331 is not txt-tlk Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

7331 is not xt-tlk
  Yes
  No
  I can't decide
View Results

Varun_Pramanik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 am
Don't classify 7331 [Leet] as txt-tlk. 7331 is basically a substitution of alphabets and/or numbers with symbols. I doesn't break rules of grammer in most cases [You can't count capitalisation, it's not possible in 7331. Neither can you count using 'ph' in place of 'f' as a misspelling]. It's just like a dialect of english in the computer world, while txt-tlk is just the work of a lazy slouch who can't type out his words. People who type in 7331, aren't lazy. In some cases it's more difficult than typing in normal english.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:45 am
Actually. I have seen in many cases where leet is an account of laziness. Sure it is different from text talk but they both slaughter English one in the same.  

Niccea Majeare

little cherry blossom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:50 am
It is a code. Codes are codes. Good grammar is good grammar. Not a lot of explanation of this subject should be required.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 am
Isn't it meant to be 1337? Well, it is not what I would class as txttlk, but it isn't exactly good English and/or correct grammar. You don't find people talking ini 1337 5P34K in real life do you? I have to agree with what Niccea Majeare said. Regardless of whether it is txttlk or not, it's just as bad, if not worse.

X_Simply-Perfect_X

Dapper Genius

-x x kyoxtohru x x-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:02 am
User Image
Personally, I classify 1337 as txt tlk.
It's annoying to read.
Sadly, I can read almost all of it.
>.>

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:52 pm
I think whoever wants to type in 1337, must be really bored.
They must have a very puzzling mind.  

Shikaeii

excited2Bdeleted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:58 am
Wasn't it 1337?
Anyways, theres actually a history behind leet speak. Not a good one, but it still has one. Computer hackers were being found, through search engines, like Google. To talk on the internet, without people being able to find them, they needed their own language. They chose leet, because who in the right mind would sit on a search engine typing in numbers? Hackers still speak leet to eachother, like a secret code. It just became popular..unfortunatly.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:38 am
The history is interesting.

I think it was that American comic... MegaTokyo that made it popular. (I never really read it before.)

I don't classify it as 'txt talk', but I honestly think that it shouldn't be used. Nowadays, especially on gaia, people use it to look cute, and I hate it. I roleplay, and more and more threads, especially the literate ones, use 1337 5P34K in the titles.

It's ruining grammar and isn't something that should be integrated into everyday speech. As everyone else has agreed, it's a code. I wouldn't suddenly insert '110001101' just because I decided I wanted to put binary in my sentences. If it had a context, yes, but the way people use it nowadays is almost identical to 'txt talk'.

+Kyoka-chan+

3rd Espada Nel Tu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm
I think it's 1337. Well anyways, you don't qualify it as txt talk. But anyways that isn't a proper way to spell out words. So technically doesn't qualify as good grammar.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:13 am
I can't read it smoothly and quickly like I can normal English. Thus, it is despised. It's a cipher derivative of English, sure... but then again, so is txt-tlk. They aren't the same, but they're very similar.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Mushed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm
In instances where leet is randomly added to words for no apparent reason or not for use as code, I consider it "txt-talk". Otherwise, leet is code and is tolerable.

Quote:
1337 eye/l/ (0[ wink 3 ph0l2/l/l.

Leet in code form.

Quote:
1337 1n txt-t41k f0rm.

Leet in "txt-talk" form.

Leet in its code form is much harder and takes longer. It cannot be associated with laziness.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:26 pm
Text-talk 1337 is easy to read, as opposed to real 1337, which is near impossible for me to read. I actually need to sit down and think about it. I buzz right over text-talk 1337 like it's regular English.  

Zen Bassist

Requiem 0f Eternity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 pm
Mushed
In instances where leet is randomly added to words for no apparent reason or not for use as code, I consider it "txt-talk". Otherwise, leet is code and is tolerable.
Quote:
1337 eye/l/ (0[ wink 3 ph0l2/l/l.

Leet in code form.
Quote:
1337 1n txt-t41k f0rm.

Leet in "txt-talk" form.
Leet in its code form is much harder and takes longer. It cannot be associated with laziness.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Flying high above the clouds...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -

I was just about to say this myself. Thank you for saving my fingers. whee

And people, L337 and 1337 are the same thing. There is no set character limit when typing in 1337.

Here, inform thyselves.

"Hey, I want to be smarter!"- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...Since 1988User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am
X_Simply-Perfect_X
Isn't it meant to be 1337? Well, it is not what I would class as txttlk, but it isn't exactly good English and/or correct grammar. You don't find people talking ini 1337 5P34K in real life do you? I have to agree with what Niccea Majeare said. Regardless of whether it is txttlk or not, it's just as bad, if not worse.
Sadly, the "leet speak in real life" topic is wrong. I had a boyfriend who would piss me off by speaking in leet to one of his close friends. He would do this by saying the numbers to spell out the words and using French or Spanish letters when letters were to be used. "One three three seven dash five pay three four ka, space at [@] line backslash line egrek [Y- in French] zero line backslash line three?" It bugged the crap out of me. . . but he knew the names of all the little punctuation marks that no one really knew what they were called. (And, for those of you who didn't figure that out, it says, "1337-5P34K, @||Y0||3?" or "Leet-speak, anyone?" He was one of those people who could do it off the top of his head out of nothing without taking a lot of time to think or anything so I guess he gets props for that. . . but it was still annoying.  

Pup in Fluff

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Requiem 0f Eternity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Flying high above the clouds...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Pup in Fluff
Sadly, the "leet speak in real life" topic is wrong. I had a boyfriend who would piss me off by speaking in leet to one of his close friends. He would do this by saying the numbers to spell out the words and using French or Spanish letters when letters were to be used. "One three three seven dash five pay three four ka, space at [@] line backslash line egrek [Y- in French] zero line backslash line three?" It bugged the crap out of me. . . but he knew the names of all the little punctuation marks that no one really knew what they were called. (And, for those of you who didn't figure that out, it says, "1337-5P34K, @||Y0||3?" or "Leet-speak, anyone?" He was one of those people who could do it off the top of his head out of nothing without taking a lot of time to think or anything so I guess he gets props for that. . . but it was still annoying.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -

xDDD I wish I had that talent. That's awesome! Annoying, but awesome nonetheless. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.·User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...Since 1988User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff