Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Official Australian Guild
Compulsory school till 17

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Compulsory education and training till 17yo?
  Good idea
  Bad Idea
View Results

Ozumou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:19 pm
Tassie and W.A. are introducing compulsory school until you are 17.

( n.b. this includes Tafe, apprenticeship or getting a full time job)

I think its a bad idea. It just legislates what people are doing anyway, but making them fill out paperwork to do it.
Will keep people who dont want to be in school there, interupting people who do want to be there.
and is IMHO a way for the govt to make unemployment figures look smaller.

on the upside. We do need a more educated/trained workforce and this could be a way to do it.

Your say?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:07 pm
I personally don't see how this would make much of a difference since to get a job most employers want at least HSC/VCE/SACE/(insert your state's highest level of secondary schooling here) so really I don't see a problem.  

Lynx Raven Raide

-LittleDuckatBigpond-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 am
Hmm its early days. We've just come under a new government. I thought the plan for the federal government and education was to make education a federal issue and not a state issue.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:58 pm
Jazu-chan
Hmm its early days. We've just come under a new government. I thought the plan for the federal government and education was to make education a federal issue and not a state issue.
Would be good, or at least if they could have something uniform across the nation instead of what we have. I know in South Australia at least it is different in that Year 7 is the senior year of primary school, and SACE covers both year 11 and 12  

Lynx Raven Raide

t a r k i i

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm
You can't swim..

I think its a good thing. I reckon that it will reduce the number of kids that turn out to be dead beats living off centrelink because they will have the education to get a good job for themselves.

..in a world so shallow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 am
Well considering Australia's already got one of the lowest percentages of unemployment in the world i highly doubt that keeping kids in school is going to affect that. Also, i know a kid...his parents forced him to finish school and do the HSC...he got such bad marks i doubt he'll ever want to show it to a future employer...as well as the fact that he just wasted two years of his life doing something that he clearly didn't want to do...the government should focus on the actual education we're recieving, not how long we recieve it for...and while on the subject of the government and education...i honestly think that the amount of taxes that go into private schools are ridiculous...why should the government help fund private school when people already pay thousands of dollars a year for their children to go there(my siblings go to a private school, i go to selective...though its public). That funding could be put towards better resources for public schools...not to a school that already has enough money to tile there bathrooms and put those fancy(lol) hand dryers on the wall.  

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

Continental Circus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm
sex fairy
Well considering Australia's already got one of the lowest percentages of unemployment in the world i highly doubt that keeping kids in school is going to affect that. Also, i know a kid...his parents forced him to finish school and do the HSC...he got such bad marks i doubt he'll ever want to show it to a future employer...as well as the fact that he just wasted two years of his life doing something that he clearly didn't want to do...the government should focus on the actual education we're recieving, not how long we recieve it for...and while on the subject of the government and education...i honestly think that the amount of taxes that go into private schools are ridiculous...why should the government help fund private school when people already pay thousands of dollars a year for their children to go there(my siblings go to a private school, i go to selective...though its public). That funding could be put towards better resources for public schools...not to a school that already has enough money to tile there bathrooms and put those fancy(lol) hand dryers on the wall.

Exactly, i agree with this. xd Though i'm staying till the end of year 12 anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:54 pm
Sharvarii
sex fairy

Exactly, i agree with this. xd Though i'm staying till the end of year 12 anyway.
Me too...did you hear about how the government has given private schools over 2 billion more then they are entitled to...in the last 4 years...thats a hell of a lot of money coming out of taxes  

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

Continental Circus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 am
sex fairy
Sharvarii
sex fairy

Me too...did you hear about how the government has given private schools over 2 billion more then they are entitled to...in the last 4 years...thats a hell of a lot of money coming out of taxes

That money would be much better used in public schools...*cough*or hospitals*cough*. D: But i guess that was with the old government right?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 pm
Sharvarii
sex fairy
Sharvarii
sex fairy

That money would be much better used in public schools...*cough*or hospitals*cough*. D: But i guess that was with the old government right?
Apparently Rudd isn't going to change the amount and is going to continue to overfund them.  

sex fairy

Beloved Fairy

The Official Australian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces