Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:02 pm
Flora!

I've always liked gardens, gardening, flowers, etc and have been planning my Greenhouse of Doom for some time now but up until x-mas I'd never had my own serious plants.
My mum gave me 6 Oriental Lilium plants for x-mas. It's my favourite flower and the plants are beautiful!

User Image

User Image

User Image

I've been taking care of them like they were my children. I love them so much!

Aside from liliums and other flowers and trees, my interest in gardening is more on the poisonous and carnivorous side. Poisons have always been a passion of mine and so has plant life, so naturally I'm attracted to Oleander, Venus Fly Traps and so on.
I'm going to do my best in the coming years to get a hold of as many poisonous and carnivorous plants as I can so I can fill my Greenhouse of Doom with them (if I could be a comic book character, I'd be Poison Ivy, hands down). I'll have to start with a Terrarium of Terror, but that's fine. Terrariums are cute and Venus Fly Traps are small- and hard to take care of!

Discussion
Does anyone else share my love for plants, both Pure and Poisonous?
Do you have a garden of your own?
What's your favourite flower?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 am
I've always wanted a garden,but until now we've been living in apartments where we pretty much couldn't have anything,so now that we've got our own place maybe I'll try to start one.  

Awesome Akwardness

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:57 pm
I've always enjoyed gardening, but it's been a fairly simple enjoyment. I don't use fertilizer, I've never built a greenhouse or any structure to help them grow (save for lattice on which vines can attach), I rarely prune.

I enjoy putting down seeds and letting them grow on their own, giving them only water and some protection from rabbits and the like.

I enjoy growing (in ironic polarity) low-lying and very tall plants, particularly ivies and grasses. I also enjoy growing pumpkins, tomatoes, and some simple flowers.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 pm
I love plants but don't have much of a garden. My mom and I usually try to plant things outside but sometimes we don't get to it and if were to late in planting nothing comes up. We usually just try again.  

Angel Bruja

-Isel-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:48 pm
I usually keep one plant around me that gets its simple watering, just a potted plant, a pothos (not a true pothos, you know, it's just Epipremnum aureum).

Sometimes I seem to be a chaotically experimental gardener; I found a certain mixture of fluids that shows a perfect example of chemotropism without regard for any of the other tropisms once during a lima-bean experiment. Unforuntately, that's the only instance I have recorded, so none of my other achievements (if they could be called that, due to the high percentage of plant death or apoptosis, usually the latter being a herald to the former) could be truthfully reported, save for the previous parenthetical.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:51 pm
The past couple of years that I've lived in this house, Pa & I kept a garden since Ma can't do yard work ['cept waterin the hangin pots]. So far, we've had a couple Amaryllis, catnip, foxglove, parsley, LOTSA tomatoes, some pumpkins, lotsa squash 'n zuchinni, gourds [accidentally {we threw some old gourds into the compost pile & they took root}], corn, watermelon, cucumbers, [wow, this is a lot...] and this year we'll probably have more O.O  

turntechKilljoy

4,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

NekoYasha09er

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 pm
I love gardening I just wish I had more time for it.

I used to have a mini garden at my old house that had violets, marigolds, some random green bean plants, and a butterfly bush. Sadly when I moved I had to leave them behind but lucky for me the new house already had two huge butterfly bushes and a lot of violets.

My favorite flower would have to be any kind of lily (not because lilly is my middle name like most think) and the oriental lily you posted is so very pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 pm
GilAskan
I've always enjoyed gardening, but it's been a fairly simple enjoyment. I don't use fertilizer, I've never built a greenhouse or any structure to help them grow (save for lattice on which vines can attach), I rarely prune.

I enjoy putting down seeds and letting them grow on their own, giving them only water and some protection from rabbits and the like.

I enjoy growing (in ironic polarity) low-lying and very tall plants, particularly ivies and grasses. I also enjoy growing pumpkins, tomatoes, and some simple flowers.

That sounds fantastic! I'd love to see some photos.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 pm
Blackrose Kaire
I've always wanted a garden,but until now we've been living in apartments where we pretty much couldn't have anything,so now that we've got our own place maybe I'll try to start one.

You should definitely start one!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:28 pm
-Isel-
I usually keep one plant around me that gets its simple watering, just a potted plant, a pothos (not a true pothos, you know, it's just Epipremnum aureum).

Sometimes I seem to be a chaotically experimental gardener; I found a certain mixture of fluids that shows a perfect example of chemotropism without regard for any of the other tropisms once during a lima-bean experiment. Unforuntately, that's the only instance I have recorded, so none of my other achievements (if they could be called that, due to the high percentage of plant death or apoptosis, usually the latter being a herald to the former) could be truthfully reported, save for the previous parenthetical.

I thought they were the same thing. question

Experimental gardening is the best kind of gardening! Chemotropism can be pretty interesting, but I wouldn't know what kind of chemicals to use or on which plants.
Phototropism is something I'd like to try though. Maybe grow some onion weed inside. There's plenty of it on my property.
I used to do little 'experiments' when I was a kid by picking onion weed, putting it in a glass of water and adding food colouring dye. I could take it to the next level with coloured lights!

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:34 pm
Ouka_Kusanagi
The past couple of years that I've lived in this house, Pa & I kept a garden since Ma can't do yard work ['cept waterin the hangin pots]. So far, we've had a couple Amaryllis, catnip, foxglove, parsley, LOTSA tomatoes, some pumpkins, lotsa squash 'n zuchinni, gourds [accidentally {we threw some old gourds into the compost pile & they took root}], corn, watermelon, cucumbers, [wow, this is a lot...] and this year we'll probably have more O.O

You're so lucky to have foxglove!

Sounds like a happenin' garden. Watermelon is lovely.
My mum grows herbs, tomatoes, lime, chillies, all sorts of yummy stuff. We have a huge lemon tree as well as a tiny orange tree.

I had to pick squash on a farm this year. They're horrible to pick! I got an awful rash from the leaves and stem. Damn squash! *shakes fist*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:38 pm
NekoYasha09er
I love gardening I just wish I had more time for it.

I used to have a mini garden at my old house that had violets, marigolds, some random green bean plants, and a butterfly bush. Sadly when I moved I had to leave them behind but lucky for me the new house already had two huge butterfly bushes and a lot of violets.

My favorite flower would have to be any kind of lily (not because lilly is my middle name like most think) and the oriental lily you posted is so very pretty.

I'd love a butterfly bush! Are they hard to maintain? They don't look too difficult to take care of.

And thankyou! Aren't lilies the best? They're so beautiful!

(My Dad used to call me Lily, still does sometimes, because when I was younger I couldn't say my middle name- Elizabeth- properly and the way I said it kinda sounded like 'Lilybut'.)

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

-Isel-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:18 pm
spooky_sez
-Isel-

I thought they were the same thing. question

Experimental gardening is the best kind of gardening! Chemotropism can be pretty interesting, but I wouldn't know what kind of chemicals to use or on which plants.
Phototropism is something I'd like to try though. Maybe grow some onion weed inside. There's plenty of it on my property.
I used to do little 'experiments' when I was a kid by picking onion weed, putting it in a glass of water and adding food colouring dye. I could take it to the next level with coloured lights!

No, Pothos is a genus of plants not related to Epipremnum aureum, it's a misnomer. Not a first in the world of biological nomenclature, sadly.

The chemicals I use are household; oftentimes they start by my desire to create something extremely caustic without creating hazardous fumes as a byproduct, but so far I haven't been able to create a caustic solution without the use of a chlorine-based chemical.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:44 am
spooky_sez
GilAskan

That sounds fantastic! I'd love to see some photos.

Winter in Michigan... they'll all be covered in snow until April. I'll take pictures when I can.  

GilAskan
Crew

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:55 am
I have some plants in my yard that I take care of, and this spring I'm thinking about trying to start a litle vegetable garden.

Being a food nut, I strongly believe that fresh organic produce really can't be beaten. As far as edible plants go, I have rhubarb, echenecia, mint, golden rasberry, and crabapple growing in my yard, and there is a ton of wintergreen, blueberries, and and blackberries growing in the woods behind my house.

Though I really love fresh produce, I personally don't much care for gardening. All the plants I have growing in my yard are the type that you can completely ignore until it's time to harvest, and they'll be fine. Maybe I'll try to plant more low-maintnance plants though.... strawberry, more rhubarb, red rasberry bushes, etc.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff