Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Christianity - What YOU Think **New Questions** The BIBLE Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good Topic?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Amorpheous

Human Human

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:54 am
User Image

This is a discussion thread on what YOU think about Christianity. I will be switching out the questions every once in a while for you to answer. Just post you answers in the thread and post your opinions. Answer to other people and reply to what people put as their opinion. This is all about opinion, but you CANNOT just put something like, 'I HATE Christianity'. If you must, please put a very specific reason for this opinion. This thread isn't here to spur arguments, but to get your mental wheels turning and to put forth your own opinion without getting bashed.

I'll try to keep the thread moving by switching out the questions every so often. I'll also try to have at least 5 questions every time.

I understand that this may turn into a full out debate, but this is all about opnion, no one is right or wrong unless it is some sort of fact that Christianity is a horrible religion or something.

Rules

1. Follow Gaia ToS and the Guild Rules
2. Respect everyone and everyone's opinion
3. Be truthful
4. Don't stray too far off topic
5. Please be smart and intelligent. Give everything you say a reason, not just saying something like 'yes' or 'no' or 'there's no reason to' without a clear reason. We want a discussion not a question and answer party.
6. If someone says something that disagrees with what you think, don't take it personally and don't see it as a personal attack, it's just their opinion.

Questions

question What is the Bible to you? Just a book?

question Do you think think the Bible contradicts itself?

question What are your opinions on the content of the Bible?

question Do you think Christians rely too much on what the Bible says?

question What are your feelings on what the Bible says on Pagan? Do you think that this is more specifically directed at Wiccans or practitioners of witchcraft?

Past Questions

question When you think about Christianity, what does it mean to you?

question Is there anything about Christianity you specifically hate? If so, what?

question How much of Paganism do you think has rubbed off on Christianity?

question Do you dislike Christianity? Why?

question Is Christianity bad? To you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 pm
When you think about Christianity, what does it mean to you? Well, the first thing that always pops into my head is one of my friends. She's a very devout Christian. I've gone to her church on multiple occasions, and it's a lot fun. While I don't believe everything about it, I do think that there is some wisdom to it, and I strongly believe that real faith is beautiful, even if it's different from my own. 3nodding

Is there anything about Christianity you specifically hate? If so, what? There are a few things...namely the need to convert others. Though, that stems more from the average Christian versus Christianity. While Christianity promotes spreading "the word", I think far too many Christians (yes, Christians, not just the fanatics) take that to a whole new level of pushy. I personally think that Jesus was a bit more laid back than that.

How much of Paganism do you think has rubbed off on Christianity? A significant amount, yes. And we all know the "obvious" ways (with holidays and all that), but really I think Paganism and Christianity manage to stay pretty separate.

Do you dislike Christianity? Why? I don't dislike Christianity as a whole. I strongly disagree with several aspects of it, but no, my main issue, when I have one, is either with the churches, or some of the members.

Is Christianity bad? To you? Not inherently, no. It can be used as a "shield" so to speak for bad things, but it's far from being the only faith with that weakness. Also, I feel as though many of the teachings are painfully outdated, and some were only included for political reasons to begin with. However, that's a far cry from being wholly "bad".  

Purrly

Invisible Elder

8,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:59 pm
Questions

well, i normally think first of people who feel they need forgiveness, or who realy want everyone to feel happy all th etime, and live forever in peace and bliss. it's to me something that's kinda not at all my style, like that you can't be responcible for yourself? that human beings are too wrong and impure? rediculous and stupid to think that i say, but yet it does have good points that we should all look at at least.
question Is there anything about Christianity you specifically hate? If so, what?
well, that God claims to be the ONLY way, and that everything else is evil, saying you'll go to hell if you don't accept Him as your king and savior. and also that he claims to have created the whole universe in 6 days, and rested on the 7th... i think that contradicts his own "thou shalt never speak an untruth." because i KNOW for fact he didn't!
just take a look at catholicsm. ^_^ i think that goes without saying. heck, the other subcatagories of christianity (which i would personally call cults.. >.> ) all call it "pagan christianity" anyway! xd
not realy.. i mean, for myself yes, and i don't think it will be good for everyone to part of it, in fact i think everyone would be better off if the could change a few rules and get rid of restrictions...let people research other ideas, and incorporate them into it...and those that wouyld be mainly christian still to do so, without being discriminated against and told they will go to hell.
not at all! in fact, i have seen it help so many people, and admit that many of my own problems can be solved or at least helped by me listening to lessons that are christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:32 pm
When you think about Christianity, what does it mean to you?

It, in and of itself, is full of excellent teachings. However, people have let the myth get in the way of the message.

Is there anything about Christianity you specifically hate? If so, what?

That the followers put more effort into establishing the myth as reality than in learning and fulfilling the teachings.

How much of Paganism do you think has rubbed off on Christianity?
The whole Jesus myth is quite close to Mithras, the "unconquered sun" who was also in vogue at the time. Guess who won out?

Do you dislike Christianity? Why?
I have no problems with Jesus. He sounds like a cool dude: he hangs with fringe groups, knows how to throw a party, and yet is very insightful into how we should treat each other. He's kind of like a holy hippie.

It's his raving lunatic fan club I have a problem with. You know the kind, the ones that protest soldiers' funerals, the people who think 9/11 happened because the US allows homosexuality. Jesus is probably ashamed.

Is Christianity bad? To you?
No way! It doesn't include any ways of running a society (considering they all thought Jesus was coming back in their lifetime, they didn't see the need to put it all down), so the concept of a Christian nation is a bit of an oxymoron. However, the teachings in it are as valid as any other system, especially those of Jesus. Some of the prophets were kind of crazy, but he was chill and actually made sense.

The only thing bad is how people use it to defend atrocities such as the Crusades, the Inquisitions, and the ongoing hatred of Pagans, Muslims, and others. However, most of this comes from the crazies, of which there are some in any religion.  

Azana Brown

Supercharged Protagonist

40,975 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Battle: KO 200

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 pm
seems like we all pretty much have the same views and ideas about it... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:34 pm
The Onigiri and Nezumi
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Questions

question What are your feelings on what the Bible says on Pagan? Do you think that this is more specifically directed at Wiccans or practitioners of witchcraft?

Past Questions

To me the Bible is nothing more than a book, but that goes without saying as i don't follow Christianity, to the millions of Christians out there the bible is more than a book it is a physical incarnation of their faith so while i can say it means as much to me as any novel i could get at a bookstore it definitely means something in the larger picture.

I do believe that the bible contradicts itself, often horribly, but as much of the writing in there are open to interpretation we are unable to truly grasp the meanings set forth by the original authors we can never truly understand the message or messages they wanted to send forth to the people who believed like they did.

having only read the contents of the bible in pieces and never as a whole i probably don't have much integrity and in my eyes it is good for story material but reads like a text book. in those pieces i have managed to read through though i have always understood that beneath the writings lay a meaning. in every story there is a moral intended to teach their faithful.

As for relying on the bible too much i do believe that they take it too seriously, after all misunderstandings in their book have led to wars between factions who invariably believe the something. so for relying on it too much yes they do.

now for the older questions

Christianity to me is nothing more than an alternate path on the road of life, the path is there for you and it is up to the individual to choose it, which leads me to what i hate about Christians they are often to pushy(i attended a catholic school as a kids and they did everything in their power to try and convert me which for a school isn't much more than saying our religion is right and you will go to hell for not believing).

Paganism has not really affected Christianity much save for the holidays, they allowed some pagan traditions to survive in order to make their religion seem more appealing to the commoners whom they wanted to convert and keep from straying.

despite my early experiences with Christianity i cannot say that i hate it anymore but rather pity it, because it has grown far to mixed up over the centuries and has made many mistakes(e.g. the crusades)

For the last question Christianity to me isn't bad per se but rather does a lot of what they would call evil with the best intentions, they have come along way but traveling in the wrong direction.  

loahnuh

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 am
I see it as a very diverse set of religions that is not at all as monolithically united as some people like to see it as. Some folks say Paganism isn't a religion, it's a group of religions. You could easily say the same thing about Christianity or almost any other large religious category. Individual believers are quite unique, and so are all the sects/denominations.

Some very, very general impressions I think of that unite Christianity as a whole is that it is Trinitarian (though thinks of itself as monotheistic), usually organized heirarchically, uses the Bible (emphasis on New Testament) as the Sacred Text, and claims to follow the teachings of Jesus. Beyond that... there's tremendous variety!

Since Christianity sees itself as monotheistic by and large, monotheism is intrinsically intolerant of other views of the Divine. However, whether or not an individual IS actually intolerant is another story. Any other comment would be a terrible generalization and applies only to *some* folks I've met and probably really has less to do with their religion than their personality and upbringing.

Paganism or Neopaganism? Big difference for answering that question.
Neopaganism has probably had very little influence as it is too new and to small of a movement. Paganism on the other hand, has had a tremendous influence on all culture worldwide simply because it is the foundation of all culture worldwide. New systems build upon old ideas, so all the old ideas are found in the new systems (albiet, often in a very different form).

Not really. Dislike is too strong of a term to apply to such a diverse group. I think it would be more accurate to say I dislike certain things people who claim to be Christian DO in the name of their religion. I don't see their actions as representational of their faith, thus I do not 'dislike' Christianity as a result.

Bad how? It depends. I think it's too easy to point the finger at a person's faith when the true causes of behavior are something else. It was obviously 'bad' for me or else I wouldn't have left it. It wasn't a spiritual fit... or at least Catholicism wasn't. I might be quite happy as a tree-hugging Franciscan, though. whee

What is the Bible to you? Just a book?
The Bible is a work of mythology loosely based in historical events. And when I use the word 'mythology' I do so in the Joseph Campbellian sense. Mythology is not fiction, and it is not silly tales of fantasy. Mythology are stories which tell the deeper secrets or truths and reveal life's mysteries through allegory and artful language.

Do you think think the Bible contradicts itself?
Probably, but that usually happens in mythology if you have someone interpreting it literally instead of as allegory. More importantly, if mythology is that which explores the deeper truths of life, it absolutely must be full of contradictions becase LIFE ITSELF is full of them!

What are your opinions on the content of the Bible?
I haven't given it a thorough reading, so I'm not really qualified to answer. I suspect like any work of mythology it has a wealth of wonderful stories in it that can teach amazing things. The setting of the stories isn't one I, or most modern folk can identify with though, so that creates some content-problems for using it in the modern world. You might be better off understanding the mythological context of pop culture media for your religious needs as it's current to your own time period.

Do you think Christians rely too much on what the Bible says?
Generalization. And it's not one I'll make. We know for a fact that some of them do, but not all of them do. Some of them take it very literally, others use it as allegory. What is relying too much, anyway?

What are your feelings on what the Bible says on Pagan? Do you think that this is more specifically directed at Wiccans or practitioners of witchcraft?
Like I said, I haven't read a good translation thoroughly so I'm really not that qualified to assess this. I'm aware that there are tales that are intrinsically intolerant of Paganism, but that isn't surprising, really. Any new religion usually discredit the current system to get its start. NEOpaganism is ALSO guilty of that and started off largely defining itself in opposition to Christianity or as an 'alternative' to that system.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am
Questions

to me the bible is a contrived lie, used to direct one being's message as a brainwashing tool instead of a means to salvation.
quite constantly actualy. it's way too hard to point out specific examples right now, but i bet i could open any page, read through it, and show something that contradicts itself.
alot of good lessons are held within it's pages of paper and ink... but still, i don't think that they will work for everyone.
yes, they do. my friend ben is one example of this... but it doesn't mean that they can be taught how to live by the bible AND the other things in life that make them happy. ^_^
What are your feelings on what the Bible says on Pagan? Do you think that this is more specifically directed at Wiccans or practitioners of witchcraft?
well, i think that it is fearfull, and ignorant. no, it has no preference, though in various times over the ages it was always one or the other considered more imoprtantly dangerous to christianity... >.> the fact that they fear paganism and wicthcraft only hurts both them and the pagans. so it is completely rediculous to me!!  

twilight insanity

Amorpheous

Human Human

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 pm
I probably should answer these questions too shouldn't I? Truthfully speaking, I guess I still see myself as a Christain, but to a lesser extent. I love all religions and Pagan seems really nice and seems to have a lot less violent history than Christianity. I feel that Pagan will be a better belief for me, as an umbrella term.

Basically, for me, it's the religion I grew up with and believed for the majority of the years I've been living. Yet, now I've started to doubt, see flaws and find that their is so much of Christianity that is put on blind faith. Christianity, first and foremost, is a religion that has decent teachings, but has also been the root of vioence.

The one thing I hate is that people will fight for it, in a whole, that's just an extreme show of faith, but to discredit other religions and to demonize religions, especially Paganism really gets to me. They teach their children to be tolerant and to respect others yet they seem to be the religion least tolerant of other religions.

Also, I really dislike some of the hypocrisy that is in Christianity. The call people who pray to/with statues devil worshippers and they tell people that it's devil worshipping because the statues have no souls, yet they pray to/with crosses and crosses have no souls. Also on the point of cross, which will probably be a later topic, they were torture devices, yet most Christians see them as Holy things because a lot of them are ignorant of their precious cross's bloody background.

I think a lot has actually. The more I learn about Paganism, the more similarities I see. Christianity, I now believe, is a big copycat religion, one that doesn't have many original ideas. I seem to be quickly losing faith, even as I write this out.

No I don't. I dislike what has happened because of Christianity and some of the people who support Christianity, but I don't see it as something I dislike as a whole. Some of the things mentioned in Christianity are good so I see no reason to dislike the whole religion itself.

No, looking at the whole thing, I don't see it as bad. It has many flaws and it doesn't seem very original, but it isn't "bad".

I see it as just a bood. It's a book with partial truths. It was a book written by man, for man. It didn't drop from heaven as a gift from God to "his people". It was written by mortal men who had strong faith in what they believed in.

In many aspects it does and this in itself is a sermon to its half-truths and that it was written, not by some holy divine, but by regular people. The hypocrisy found in the Bible and in Christians gets quite annoying. Don't tell someone to be themselves, and to express themselves when you're going to expell them from your school just because they have hair that touches their shirt collar.

It's fiarly good if you don't see it as a rule book as some Christians do.

Yes. I think they take things too literally and too seriously.

I think that they don't exactly point of Paganism, but they put it in a light that says that Paganism is a sin. More importantly, they almost flat out say that witchcraft is a sin against God and that you can kill them for it when one of the ten commandments are 'Thou shalt not kill'. Paganism seems to be what the church has seen to be one of the biggest threats to their "power" and religion. They preach religious tolerance, yet they often seem to be the only group that doesn't tolerate other religions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:33 am
Questions

Yes to me the bible is just a book. I have tried to read it, but it is diffucult to understnad.
Yes I believe that the bible contradics itself. I can't remember what book or phrase made me believe that but it was in the start.
I am unsure.
Yes and no. there are many strands of Christanity, like there are Pagans, with Wiccans Druids etc.
I think its the "EVIL" perople not the "Pagans" like the people who comit serrious crimes. Considering that pagans were 'simple country dwellers'

Past Questions

Christanity is a religion to me.
The fact they think that they are always right. And that they can be converters. and that i am considered a devil worshipper.
I don 't know
Nope i respect their religion they way I expect them to respct mine.
its not bad. it is my families religion and they support me being Pagan.  

Lilah-Clover

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:59 pm
For me, at the end of the day, the Bible is pretty much just that - a book. With that being said, it does have a few good things, in respect to values and the like.

As for the inherent good and bad of Christianity, I feel that it is a tool, in respect that it is not good or evil on it's own. It's all in how someone uses it. I respect persons of all religions, and as such, I only ask for the same respect in return.

And, in regards to Jesus Christ, I concede that it is possible that a man of that name did indeed live in the purported time period. However, whether or not he was indeed the son of god is debatable. It is quite possible that the stories surrounding him may very well have been exaggerated, and told in a fashion to make him appear so.

As for what the man was about, it simply seems like common sense, in respect to the whole "Love your neighbor" thing. Or, as Bill and Ted once put it, "Be excellent to each other", which could also sum it up nicely.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:49 am

It is just a book to me. In the end, it was written and stitched together by people.

The Bible obviously contradicts itself.

The Bible obviously contains some very good advice, but it also contains the seeds of detrimental ideas. This is proven in how the book has been used to encourage heinous acts in the past.

Yes, and no. In some things, they do, but there are many things in the Bible that Christians conveniently ignore, such as the taboos against menstruating women. I have yet to meet a Christian who kicks the wife and daughters out of the house every time they get their periods, even though the Bible says they should. It forces me also to ask, why is this book more reliable than, say, the Quran or the Vedas?

The taboos against witchcraft feel like they were written by scared children. The Christian, and Hebrew, God is depicted as an abusive parent who has a fit if you try to fix your life yourself or think for yourself, and the taboos were created to appease this abusive aspect. On the other hand, it is human nature to create the Us vs. Them attitude.

Past Questions

It's not Christianity itself that's the problem. It's the followers.

Is there anything about Christianity you specifically hate? If so, what? I do hate how Christians insist that their way is the only way. This attitude has led to a lot of suffering.

How much of Paganism do you think has rubbed off on Christianity?A whole lot. The idea of a divine birth could be parralleled to pagan religions of the time. December 25 is credited as being the birthday of Mithras long before the birth of Christ. Some of the holidays and rituals are obviously pagan in origin.

No, for previously stated reasons.

Refer to previous statement.

Boadicia

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm
The Onigiri and Nezumi

I think that the bible is great if you use it as a figurative lesson for life. Don't kill, don't disrespect your parents, don't covet, etc... I think taking it as a literal transcription of events that occurred is a bit ridiculous.

The Onigiri and Nezumi

I know that it does but I have nothing in my brain right now that is telling me where it has done it. Probably saying to love all people and then "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is the foremost thing.

The Onigiri and Nezumi

I think a lot of the bible is useful, again, as lessons. I think if you take God out of the bible, it would be a great allegory. Yes, taking God out of the Bible would defeat the purpose but hey, that's just how I feel.

The Onigiri and Nezumi

I think that people need to think more for themselves and less from a book written by men. You shouldn't have to be told not to kill people. You shouldn't have to be told to live with love.

I'll answer the rest later. I'm glad to be back! smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 pm
Questions

A book of myths and legends and some facts about a prophet. Unfortunately I have never seen a decent translation of the bible and so refuse to base my opinion on a deliberately/innocently mistranslated document. If I ever find the bible in its original language (and had it translated) or a recently translated version from its original language then I will form a fuller and more informed opinion once I have read it.

question Do you think the Bible contradicts itself?
Yes but as I said in my previous answer the bible has been badly mistranslated.

See first answer

Depends on the Christian personally, but I feel the bible should be more of a guideline book than it sometimes is.

In its original translation it says nothing about witchcraft or witches at all.

Past Questions

Those who follow the teaching of Christ and the old testament. However the interruption of can lead to some, what I would call, un-Christian behaviour.

Sometimes there seems to be a need to convert others, and those who do it as if it is the only thing in the world that is of importance. However hate is a strong word to use, I am irritated when people make assumptions of me and try and force anything on me. If I choose to learn or buy or donate something then I will but I refused to be forced into anything.

Much was taken from pagan traditions to force followers into Christianity. However as I said before the original translation of the bible may be able to clear this question up more easily.
Fun fact in Christianity before the pagan assimilation Satan was a figure of a man and then he became faun-like with a tail this was taken from the pagans so that they would be seen as doing evil.

No. I see no problem with it, unless it is interrupted badly and only some of its teaching are adopted. Jesus say "he without sin shall cast the first stone" and "love thy neighbour" I think sometimes this is forgotten.

Not at all I know a few Christian Pagans. My fiancée is Rosecrusion (sp), of the order of the rosy cross, a Christian who practices magick.

These are just my opinions and I base them on my experiences and knowledge I have gained over the years, however it is entirely possible that I am misinformed if that is so I would appreciate being corrected. Thank you.  

KittannLittle

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces