Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Where have all the apostrophizes gone?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you use apostrophizes?
  Yes
  No
  No one needs the buggers
  What the f*** is an apostrophie?!
View Results

Chocolatepanacea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:08 am
Does no one hold these flying commas in their hearts anymore? Does anyone even know what an apostrophize is?

Having a last name with an apostrophize in it has made me come to value them even more, because I see firsthand the abuse the poor misused piece of punctuation gets. I’ve been told by banks that I do not exist because the teller and/or the computer did not know what an apostrophize was.

Contractions are used daily with no regard to the apostrophize, possessive terms lack them, too!

How may be stop the blight the apostrophize faces?

P.S. an apostrophize is one of these things: ‘  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 am
redface P.S. I despise my spell check and previous ignorance. Replace apostrophize with apostrophe in all of the above text. redface  

Chocolatepanacea

[FlyingPigKnockout]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:50 pm
I agree. But it's equally annoying when someone uses apostraphes in the wrong place, as well as not at all. eg, "Its you're birthday today." It is, and its is another peeve of mine >w< I've always hated the way people use apostrophes. >:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 am
[FlyingPigKnockout]
I agree. But it's equally annoying when someone uses apostraphes in the wrong place, as well as not at all. eg, "Its you're birthday today." It is, and its is another peeve of mine >w< I've always hated the way people use apostrophes. >:

Oh my goodness, I totally agree! I don't see why it's so hard to use an apostrophe. I just...*shakes head*. I can't tell you how much it frustrates me!  

Amaya84

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:55 am
That example of the "your and you're" problem. Just like "There, their, and they're." I think the big problem people have with apostrophes are the homophones.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 pm
I am pretty bad when it comes to punctuation, but I always double check and make sure the basic ones are correct. Apostrophe (apostrophe's?) are something that comes pretty standard in grade school? So, chalk up another "win" for the public school system.  

Aelanaar

Wylde Style

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:57 pm
I've always put an apostrophie in conjunctions.

However, I'm most confused when using it to show possession and all of that nonsense.

I'll see sentences like:

"The dog's love you."

The dog is love you? Like that makes any sense?

Just tell me if this is right. x.x I'm just thinking of what it could be.

If you're talking about more than one object, you just add an -s, not apostrophie, but if you're showing possession, you add an -'s? eek Halphalp!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:08 pm
Deathfreeze

However, I'm most confused when using it to show possession and all of that nonsense.

I'll see sentences like:

"The dog's love you."

If you're talking about more than one object, you just add an -s, not apostrophie, but if you're showing possession, you add an -'s? eek Halphalp!

Sounds like they're just trying to make "dog" plural...I think it's quite a common problem razz .

Yes, making something plural just adds an s. possession includes an apostrophe, like "Jill's shoes." In the case where you're indicating possession for a word that ends with an s, you still add the 's...so "Charles's golf clubs" is correct.
And in the case that you are indicating possession for something that is plural...you just stick the apostrophe on the end. So..."the horses' bridles" would be correct.

Fionnabhair Aoife

Avi1313

Aged Codger

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm
Fionnabhair Aoife
Deathfreeze

I'll see sentences like:

"The dog's love you."

Sounds like they're just trying to make "dog" plural...I think it's quite a common problem razz .

Yes, making something plural just adds an s. possession includes an apostrophe, like "Jill's shoes." In the case where you're indicating possession for a word that ends with an s, you still add the 's...so "Charles's golf clubs" is correct.
And in the case that you are indicating possession for something that is plural...you just stick the apostrophe on the end. So..."the horses' bridles" would be correct.

Oh wow, that has cleared up a great many clouds for me! THank you!
My friend Ronni says correcting people is an unhealthy addiction, howevere, I find nothing wrong with it.
Commas in incorrect places annoy me about on the same level as apostrophes.
Speaking of which, last year, during our school's spelling bee, I misspelled the word "Apostrophe". exclaim I knew how to spell the word, too!!!!!
AGH!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:38 am
Apostrophes are definitely an issue.
It irks me to no end when it's and its are mixed up. (It's means it is, and its is the possessive form of it.)

Hersheydudette

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:59 pm
Chocolatepanacea
redface P.S. I despise my spell check and previous ignorance. Replace apostrophize with apostrophe in all of the above text. redface

Note that you can edit your posts. Look for the "edit" button above your avatar next to the post.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games