Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Elastic Yarn

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:24 am
Has anyone else ever worked with a yarn that was a small percentage elastic? I'm making a chemo cap for my grandma, and the pattern called for a yarn that's 98.3% cotton, and 1.7% elastic. It's strange to work with, because of how stretchy it is.

Also, it makes me think of a rock band.

I'm working with elann.com Espirit... does anyone know of any others? As i work with it, i'm getting ideas for where a little bit of elastic would go a long way... like how much easier it would make fingerless gloves, wristbands, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 am
I've never used it but it sounds like it would be hard to use  

adavan

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 am
adavan
I've never used it but it sounds like it would be hard to use
It's not that bad, you just have to get used to it and not pull as you knit. Easier then eyelash yarn for me. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:41 pm
Patons Katrina and Cascade Fixation both have elastic content. I've knit a hat in the Katrina, and I think I've used a sample of the Cascade Fixation. I have two skeins of the Katrina left, but I have no real reason to use them at this time.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:29 pm
I love Fixation! It's a lot of fun to work with; especially the striping ones. I've made a guy's G-String out of it before. Paton's Katrina is so silky soft. I haven't made anything with it, but I love the hand on it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am
When I'm making knee socks or leg warmers, I use a very fine elastic cord with the yarn while I'm doing the ribbing to stave off the dreaded downward creep, and it's a pain to work with. I'll have to look into yarns with an elastic content.  

Blue-eyes-green

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:02 pm
I imagine its fun to have, as it would amke certain things alot more forgiving in fit. However, I can see where tension could be an issue, especially if your a noob at whatever craft your using it for. I, for example, would likely make a mess of trying to knit the stuff, but could probably manage crochet in it just fine.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:33 pm
I've just bought 2 skeins of Soxx Appeal which is merino and elastic. It IS really weird. I'm a tight knitter, so it's a little hard to knit loosely so the yarn can do what it's supposed to. sweatdrop  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Peppermint Elf: I'm naturally a little bit loose, so it's not an issue for me. xp I'll have to look into Soxx Appeal, see how much/where i can buy it, and what colors it comes in.

Silver: I tried crocheting with it and discovered something. I end up working way to tight in crochet for the stuff to work. I'm a much looser knitter. xp

Blue-eyes: I never thought to do that, but it sounds like it would be harder... I fail at knitting with two strands. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:18 am
kochi~mochi
Blue-eyes: I never thought to do that, but it sounds like it would be harder... I fail at knitting with two strands. xp

It's really not that hard- I sort of loop the elastic with the yarn so it's like one strand- the reason I don't like it is I'm a very tactile person and I don't like the feeling of raw elastic  

Blue-eyes-green

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Blue-eyes-green
kochi~mochi

It's really not that hard- I sort of loop the elastic with the yarn so it's like one strand- the reason I don't like it is I'm a very tactile person and I don't like the feeling of raw elastic
I can imagine i would have a hard time with the feel of elastic as well... i knit waaaay faster if i like the feel of what i'm working with. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:23 pm
is it classic elite or cascade?  

augusteir

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:06 pm
kochi~mochi
Blue-eyes-green
kochi~mochi

I can imagine i would have a hard time with the feel of elastic as well... i knit waaaay faster if i like the feel of what i'm working with. xp

Same here- there's this sweater made with 100% wool that I'm supposed to be making for my mom that I hate working on because it feels awful, but I also once amazed a bunch of college friends by finishing an angora hat during the time it took to watch the Return of the Jedi. I didn't want to stop because if felt like petting a cloud.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 am
Mmmmmm... angora...

lol. A new person joined the SnB I was part of in CT, and she was wearing an angora scarf she'd made. Needless to say, we stole her scarf and passed it around for petting. xd She had to pry it away from Jenny at the end of the night so she could leave!  

Silver Mist

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff